Non-AFL chat thread part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

There have been reports in recent days of the Shorten allegations being investigated at the time by police, and dismissed. Not sure if due to lack of evidence, lack of desire on the alleged victim's part to proceed or other reason. I have no issue with those allegations being raised again. However, one of the more vacuous entities in federal politics (the former member for Corangamite who has since weasled her way into the Senate) seems to have had some degree of input into those allegations suddenly appearing again. And her media statement was called out by Paul Buongiorno, a highly reputable and award-winning political journo. I'm not trying to make this a partisan issue, but there are purely partisan political hacks on all sides, like said "senator" who devalue the process by acting in a tit-for-tat manner. There are significant wastes of space in politics with their snouts in the trough of the public purse, and this particular individual is one of the worst - has a history of claiming credit where it is most certainly not due, and also claiming non-partisanship in the same breath as spewing a multitude of partisan-ship garbage. I guess it just goes to show some of the females in politics are just as useless as most of the males.

F73's standing for Senate. He's working out his Senate profile. I'll vote for you, F73, Shooters and Hunters, Australian Sex Party, Australians for a Christian Burial can and all go and get ...

Last edited:
Christian Porter's Wikipedia page being edited today to remove all reference to his time on the Hale debate team, who coincidentally were in Sydney at the time of the alleged rape by a current cabinet member.

Hale have also removed all reference to Porter being part of their debate team.

Innocent until proven guilty, but this does not seem like the actions an innocent person would take. Porter demanded immediate investigation when Dyson Heydon was accused of sexual harrassment, so it's odd that he's been so quiet over these rape accusations. Surely he'd want justice for the victim?
It seems the cabinet minister concerned - whoever it was - will be raising his hand and making a public statement tomorrow. It also seems likely he will be vigorously denying any allegations, as of course he is quite entitled to do.

While this is a positive development in the whole messy series of events, revelations and press conferences it may not be as open and spontaneous a gesture as it seems.

At least one non-government senator has pointed out that the person's name can easily be revealed in the House or the Senate under parliamentary privilege. Not sure if that senator's remark was intended as a comment or a threat but it sounded to me rather like the latter.

If that's the case it's obviously far better for the cabinet minister concerned to get on the front foot and engage the media on his own terms.

So we can be pretty sure what the lead story will be about on tomorrow night's news ...

It seems the cabinet minister concerned - whoever it was - will be raising his hand and making a public statement tomorrow. It also seems likely he will be vigorously denying any allegations, as of course he is quite entitled to do.

While this is a positive development in the whole messy series of events, revelations and press conferences it may not be as open and spontaneous a gesture as it seems.

At least one non-government senator has pointed out that the person's name can easily be revealed in the House or the Senate under parliamentary privilege. Not sure if that senator's remark was intended as a comment or a threat but it sounded to me rather like the latter.

If that's the case it's obviously far better for the cabinet minister concerned to get on the front foot and engage the media on his own terms.

So we can be pretty sure what the lead story will be about on tomorrow night's news ...
There's been some smaller news outlets who have outright named the victim and alleged culprit already. The publicly available evidence (including whereabouts at various times in the late 80s) pointing to it being Porter is damning at this point so he must have figured he needs to come out and address it.

He will obviously deny it, guilty or not, but I just hope he doesn't trash the woman in the process. Can already see it now - "I empathise with her, but she was clearly unstable and mentally ill"

Brilliant contrast today. At the National Press Club, a brilliant Australian advocate and activist that we should all be proud of. At the national parliament, the advertised 12:00pm appearance of an (alleged) misogynist and rapist yet to materialise. Courage vs cowardice writ large.

Brilliant contrast today. At the National Press Club, a brilliant Australian advocate and activist that we should all be proud of. At the national parliament, the advertised 12:00pm appearance of an (alleged) misogynist and rapist yet to materialise. Courage vs cowardice writ large.

We must remember, he lives in Perth.... C Porter is scheduled to speak at 12:00 Perth time.

Porter has spent the majority of this press conference bringing up "but Labor are just as bad", and playing himself out to be the victim. He brought up "the former opposition leader" 4 times in the space of 30 seconds.

And just as many predicted, he is pulling the mental health card. Going down the Patton route

Porter has spent the majority of this press conference bringing up "but Labor are just as bad", and playing himself out to be the victim. He brought up "the former opposition leader" 4 times in the space of 30 seconds.

And just as many predicted, he is pulling the mental health card. Going down the Patton route

Yep, a backlog of allegations and accusations are all aimed at turning him into a victim - sure Porter.

Just now trying to bring himself to tears saying "imagine if it's just not true" - and the media rightly ignored him trying to generate self-sympathy, and kept asking questions regardless.

Seems the whole thing is a creation in the imagination of the actual victim, if you believe this bloke. How could she possibly get it so wrong?

Yep, a backlog of allegations and accusations are all aimed at turning him into a victim - sure Porter.

Just now trying to bring himself to tears saying "imagine if it's just not true" - and the media rightly ignored him trying to generate self-sympathy, and kept asking questions regardless.

Seems the whole thing is a creation in the imagination of the actual victim, if you believe this bloke. How could she possibly get it so wrong?
So much "I don't recall", "it was so long ago, how would I remember"

Then he comes out with some random shirt ironing anecdote. I would bet my house on more information coming out in the coming weeks that incriminates him

"It shouldn't take having children to have a conscience," she said.

"And, actually, on top of that, having children doesn't guarantee a conscience."

Grace Tame, Australian Of The Year

YOU GO GIRL! I want this printed on a T-Shirt. Even better, I should get a tatt.

1614749663208.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the second quote:
“Having children doesn’t guarantee a conscience.”

YES!

I could go on about this quote forever, but for now I'm just rapt that the accepted assumption (inherent bias) that being a parent somehow makes you a superior human being has been called out emperor's new clothes style.

YES!

I could go on about this quote forever, but for now I'm just rapt that the accepted assumption (inherent bias) that being a parent somehow makes you a superior human being has been called out emperor's new clothes style.

Accepted assumption?

By who?

Anyone who has ever used the phrase "as a father", "as a mother", "as a parent" or words to that effect.

You bored MD?

As a parent it gives you a chance to talk from experience but doesn’t make you superior as a human and I don’t think many people actually think that because they have breed they are better people.

I get great amusement out of people that don’t have kids giving advice to parents on how to bring up their children.

Not bored just think your statement is wrong.

Last edited:
As a parent it gives you a chance to talk from experience but doesn’t make you superior as a human and I don’t think many people actually think that because they have breed they are better people.

I get great amusement out of people that don’t have kids giving advice to parents on how to bring up their children.

Not bored just think your statement is wrong.

People that don’t have kids giving advice to parents on how to bring up their children?

Who?

Didn't think it was possible, but even "news".com.au has dropped to an all time low today

View attachment 1072510

Come on, we all need a reminder that there's lots of sleazy bitchy bitches out there - it's International Women's Day and we can't let them get too cocky about themselves (can we Rupert & Lachlan?). ;)

Is it just me, or is every movie Ralph Fiennes (that's Ray Fines of course) is in the worst dirge ever?

Just finished the much acclaimed "The Dig" - had to break it up over 3 days it was sooo slow. The English Patient had to be the worst movie I've ever seen prior to that - same slow pace and no story. And no, I've never seen Harry Potter.

Thanks for the vent. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back