Non-AFL chat thread part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope you are staying safe Floridog :oops:
I'm okay. My house was right in the eastern eye wall for a while. Over 100 mph winds and the seawater came right up to the door but did not get into the house Amazingly no major damage to the house. I will be without electricity until at least Friday. All in all my family, my friends and myself all came out okay .

I'm okay. My house was right in the eastern eye wall for a while. Over 100 mph winds and the seawater came right up to the door but did not get into the house Amazingly no major damage to the house. I will be without electricity until at least Friday. All in all my family, my friends and myself all came out okay .
You in Iceland going by twitter? Cool pics, I was going to post them here but thought you might not want to. My daughter is in London wearing her AFLW beanie everywhere :)

I'm not in Iceland and I don't do Twitter I'm afraid. I'm in Florida, and had a visit from hurricane Ian. 11 days without power. Fortunately I do a fair bit of camping and the weather was nice, cool and dry, so it wasn't a problem.

You in Iceland going by twitter? Cool pics, I was going to post them here but thought you might not want to. My daughter is in London wearing her AFLW beanie everywhere :)

I'm not in Iceland and I don't do Twitter I'm afraid. I'm in Florida, and had a visit from hurricane Ian. 11 days without power. Fortunately I do a fair bit of camping and the weather was nice, cool and dry, so it wasn't a problem.
Hah right there’s another Dogs supporter from Florida that posts on there. :)

Tell you what, I’m so lucky I locked in a 4 year fixed rate of 1.99% for 75% of my home loan. I really don’t know how people are going to cope with the way the rates are going. Surely there are plenty of people who are in deep s**t. And not just people on the breadline, but those who may be earning good money but extended themselves with large mortgages they could only just afford.

Tell you what, I’m so lucky I locked in a 4 year fixed rate of 1.99% for 75% of my home loan. I really don’t know how people are going to cope with the way the rates are going. Surely there are plenty of people who are in deep s**t. And not just people on the breadline, but those who may be earning good money but extended themselves with large mortgages they could only just afford.
With so many cash/financial handouts during covid, inflation was always going to be rife. Interest rates are the only way to seemingly curb it. I'm a renter, but it did seem rates had been quite low for a long period in recent times. House prices are still sky high around my area, so increased interest rates aren't scaring too many folks off currently.

Hi guys, sorry for the intrusion. And feel free to disregard/delete if this isn't the place to ask!

I'm doing a lap of the country next year and I'm trying to find good kennels to put the dog in for each capital city for a week or so. Is there anywhere in Melbs you'd recommend? I'd rather go off personal recommendations than vague online reviews. Hoping for decent value and good care.

Cheers. :)

I'm not a boxing fan but I thought this decision to award Jeff Fenech a world title 31 years after the fight was bizarre. However it appears justice has now been done. So says the WBC (not just the Australian biased media).

So maybe there's still hope for Chris Grant ... 🏅

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi folks,

Sorry to intrude but I came across something that you Western Bulldogs fans might find of interest (not sure if it has been posted here before).

Cody Weightman is a bit of an artist (I didn't know) and he has donated his work to a charity auction whose proceeds helps an African kingdom source water and help with sanitation. This is the skateboard deck that he has donated:

The auction closes on Saturday night.

This is more about the charity :

Thanks..

Woof they are terrible, probably the worst team Australia have sent to a World Cup.
Ouch. That rating looks a bit harsh now.

Third ever Socceroos team to win a WC finals match and a great chance to progress now.

Thought last night's match was completely engrossing. Souttar is a beast down back and Mooy's ability to get involved in everything is top notch

Ouch. That rating looks a bit harsh now.

T...
Not necessarily. The previous 2 wins were against Japan and Serbia, soccer minnows in their days. OK, there were 3 World Cups with no wins but all things in perspective, Australia in 2022 from 26 mil and a much more multicultural population. Let's hold off the superlatives until after the game against Mary's team on Thursday.

Not necessarily. The previous 2 wins were against Japan and Serbia, soccer minnows in their days. OK, there were 3 World Cups with no wins but all things in perspective, Australia in 2022 from 26 mil and a much more multicultural population. Let's hold off the superlatives until after the game against Mary's team on Thursday.
So is success judged on what they do on the pitch or on results per million of population?

I don't mind the latter as it leads to some very interesting conversations about how good we - or any country - really are at sport. Especially if you take into account GDP. The following table ranks countries by medals per GDP but also takes into account the number of times they've appeared.
Not really who we're used to seeing at the top of the medal table, eh?

Table: Top ranked teams based on average medals per GDP​

RankTeam appearancesTotaltotal medals / OlympicsGDP (billion)ave total/GDP
1 North Korea 10545.416.3310.331
2 Georgia 7405.717.7420.322
3 Jamaica 18874.815.830.305
4 Grenada 1030.31.2110.248
5 Tonga 1010.10.5080.197
6 Belarus 78512.163.080.192
7 Kosovo 231.57.9520.189
8 Armenia 7182.613.6720.188
9 Bulgaria 2122410.767.9250.157
10 Mongolia 14302.113.8520.155

The table is sourced from this website:

It also has different ways to list the best country when looking at olympic results vs GDP. In some other formats Jamaica comes out on top. Or Kosovo. It's worth a quick look.

Of course that's only based on Olympic sports. It favours countries who have a national strength (or a few exceptional athletes) in what just happen to be Olympic sports (weightlifting or boxing for example).

Meanwhile some other small countries have really obscure sports which they'd blitz the world in if they ever held a world cup in it. Like Bo-taoshi, Ga-Ga Ball, AFL or Bog Snorkelling.

Bring on the AFL World Cup!

So is success judged on what they do on the pitch or on results per million of population?

I don't mind the latter as it leads to some very interesting conversations about how good we - or any country - really are at sport. Especially if you take into account GDP. The following table ranks countries by medals per GDP but also takes into account the number of times they've appeared.
Not really who we're used to seeing at the top of the medal table, eh?

Table: Top ranked teams based on average medals per GDP​

RankTeamappearancesTotaltotal medals / OlympicsGDP (billion)ave total/GDP
1North Korea10545.416.3310.331
2Georgia7405.717.7420.322
3Jamaica18874.815.830.305
4Grenada1030.31.2110.248
5Tonga1010.10.5080.197
6Belarus78512.163.080.192
7Kosovo231.57.9520.189
8Armenia7182.613.6720.188
9Bulgaria2122410.767.9250.157
10Mongolia14302.113.8520.155

The table is sourced from this website:

It also has different ways to list the best country when looking at olympic results vs GDP. In some other formats Jamaica comes out on top. Or Kosovo. It's worth a quick look.

Of course that's only based on Olympic sports. It favours countries who have a national strength (or a few exceptional athletes) in what just happen to be Olympic sports (weightlifting or boxing for example).

Meanwhile some other small countries have really obscure sports which they'd blitz the world in if they ever held a world cup in it. Like Bo-taoshi, Ga-Ga Ball, AFL or Bog Snorkelling.

Bring on the AFL World Cup!
Be realistic, DW. Soccer is ranked 5 among football codes. It's predominantly the game of southern and eastern Europeans and Scot immigrants from post WW11, the ALP "Populate of Perish" era. Aus is up there in every other World sport except soccer, why ? There are far too many politically correct moderators lurking to take this any further.

For those that travel:
  1. Enjoy the adventure.
  2. Take a book with you, things get delayed and phones run out of charge.
  3. Be positive.
  4. Dads help (even IF his wife prompts him).
  5. Always carry a towel & first aid kit (scissors, bandages, antisceptic, etc.)
  6. Global roaming is expensive BUT unless you aren't coming back, you can't access many services like gmail without security codes (sms / phone calls) with 2 way authentication. Missing an email can cost you thousands.
  7. Get travel insurance. Accidents happen.
  8. Update your will and make sure you have left details for others to access your accounts etc IF they need to.

For those that travel:
  1. Enjoy the adventure.
  2. Take a book with you, things get delayed and phones run out of charge.
  3. Be positive.
  4. Dads help (even IF his wife prompts him).
  5. Always carry a towel & first aid kit (scissors, bandages, antisceptic, etc.)
  6. Global roaming is expensive BUT unless you aren't coming back, you can't access many services like gmail without security codes (sms / phone calls) with 2 way authentication. Missing an email can cost you thousands.
  7. Get travel insurance. Accidents happen.
  8. Update your will and make sure you have left details for others to access your accounts etc IF they need to.
Bullet point 1 should be: Carry Imodium.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back