No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

“Nursing his knee” made it seem it could be minor, reading the AFL article it says serious concern and that he crumpled to the ground - this all indicates ACL.

Mac Andrew injured his ankle in the same contest, that is really unlucky

Speaking on the How They Trainpodcast, the Bombers livewire opened up on the hard work he put in last summer that led to his brilliant season, revealing he’d never been taught how to run long distance or covered such mileage before in AFL training.

“It was more just get out and pound the pavement and learn how to do that. Because before I probably hadn’t ran over 2kms straight in eight years,” Stringer said.

“You’d go for a run and do a 1km warm-up and then we’d do 200m-400m. We’re not going just to do a 5km jog, well at least I wasn’t.”

How on earth does a player make it 8 years into an AFL career before they learn the benefits of slow running and aerobic fitness. I'm genuinely shocked that he was able to play at the highest level without a fitness base, that's insane.

Speaking on the How They Trainpodcast, the Bombers livewire opened up on the hard work he put in last summer that led to his brilliant season, revealing he’d never been taught how to run long distance or covered such mileage before in AFL training.

“It was more just get out and pound the pavement and learn how to do that. Because before I probably hadn’t ran over 2kms straight in eight years,” Stringer said.

“You’d go for a run and do a 1km warm-up and then we’d do 200m-400m. We’re not going just to do a 5km jog, well at least I wasn’t.”

How on earth does a player make it 8 years into an AFL career before they learn the benefits of slow running and aerobic fitness. I'm genuinely shocked that he was able to play at the highest level without a fitness base, that's insane.
Jakey loved/loves the limelight. Had Bulldogs fans, and the club probably, bluffed that he was just a gifted player, capable of freakish stuff on the field without really trying. Be honest, we all thought that, including the recruiters. Also it would have taken a while to get over the broken leg but he might have stretched it out. Remember how he used to get helped off the ground sometimes and we’d think he was badly hurt? Then ten minutes later he’d jog back out. I think he played the system at our club. If the Bummers have helped him grow up, good on them.

Jakey loved/loves the limelight. Had Bulldogs fans, and the club probably, bluffed that he was just a gifted player, capable of freakish stuff on the field without really trying. Be honest, we all thought that, including the recruiters. Also it would have taken a while to get over the broken leg but he might have stretched it out. Remember how he used to get helped off the ground sometimes and we’d think he was badly hurt? Then ten minutes later he’d jog back out. I think he played the system at our club. If the Bummers have helped him grow up, good on them.
I'm not having a go at Stringer here necessarily, if what he says is true and no one taught him how to build a fitness base through long easy running then it reflects poorly on our club if anything. I just find it absolutely staggering in the professional era someone could play the sport without any proper fitness base, it's like building a bridge without any foundations.

He wasn't even that injury prone at the dogs either, he must be an absolute freak athlete to have survived in the system this long, and good luck to him and the bombers, if he maintains his fitness he'll be a gun player for them for a number of years.

I'm not having a go at Stringer here necessarily, if what he says is true and no one taught him how to build a fitness base through long easy running then it reflects poorly on our club if anything. I just find it absolutely staggering in the professional era someone could play the sport without any proper fitness base, it's like building a bridge without any foundations.

He wasn't even that injury prone at the dogs either, he must be an absolute freak athlete to have survived in the system this long, and good luck to him and the bombers, if he maintains his fitness he'll be a gun player for them for a number of years.
Long easy running won't build much of a fitness base for football. You could be a freak distance runner but you won't be to run out a quarter without significant conditioning for high intensity repeat efforts and ball skills. (Running + kicking takes a toll on the legs that running alone will never replicate)

Building a fitness base for AFL football isn't as easy as going on a few 5-10km jogs in the off season.

Ben King confirmed ACL. Shocking news for him and Gold Coast.

He'll keep pounding up on the lesser teams and then go quiet when he plays anyone half decent. Can't wait for him and their team to come back down to Earth this year.

Long easy running won't build much of a fitness base for football. You could be a freak distance runner but you won't be to run out a quarter without significant conditioning for high intensity repeat efforts and ball skills. (Running + kicking takes a toll on the legs that running alone will never replicate)

Building a fitness base for AFL football isn't as easy as going on a few 5-10km jogs in the off season.
Of course getting match fit includes more than slow running, but I guarantee all the best runners in the afl are doing off season running plans that contain plenty of easy miles.

Long easy running is a key component of any running based fitness discipline except the shorter sprints, there's no other way to build an effective aerobic base, you then build on that base with discipline specific workouts.

A Jake stringer puff piece. Every. Single. Year.

We could lead the lazy fat campaigner to water but we couldn't make him run out sight in a fog.

Its amazing what a self inflicted near career death experience can do to ones willingness to do the required work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While some of the stats where you need to get your hands dirty show an improvement last year over his years with us, they are also directly related to more time in the middle, whereas with us he was almost exclusively a forward. But even with his increased midfield role last year, he only just shaded his disposal per game average of 2015 and 2016.

1644541484676.png

You know that person at high school who cruised by without studying and got great marks from natural ability, who then realised at university that they had to start knuckling down? Stringer reminds me of that. Talent took him a long way but can't be all you have if you want to be elite.

A Jake stringer puff piece. Every. Single. Year.

So impressive of Jake to admit he’s been a clueless, lazy POS his whole career. Either that or he’s too stupid to realise blaming others for his career lack of fitness makes him look like an absolute f**k wit.

Can’t till next years puff piece...

JAKES AWAKENING
“I wish someone had of told me I’d score more goals kicking through the middle posts instead of the outside of them, I’d have kicked way more goals to this point”

And the year after...

A MATURING STRINGER
“I now know it’s wrong to sleep with school girls while my wife’s, at home, 8 months pregnant with my child. I don’t really want to blame anyone, but someone should’ve told me it wasn’t the right thing to do”

You know that person at high school who cruised by without studying and got great marks from natural ability, who then realised at university that they had to start knuckling down? Stringer reminds me of that. Talent took him a long way but can't be all you have if you want to be elite.
Plenty of people cruise through Uni and get that wake up call in the work force too. Or even cruise at their first job and get a wake up call at their next.

unknown.png

If they hadn't won the premiership then he'd absolutely be in danger of getting sacked once these reports came out, instead he's getting an extension and it's no big deal because the AFL didn't know how bad concussions were in 2017.
He’ll get the sack in 2023/2024.

The Dees are an incredibly unlike able club.
Always have been. Some clubs wax and wane with likeability, depending on attitude, different players and coaches coming and going, even their success or lack of. But Melbourne have been consistently awful through many eras.

Always have been. Some clubs wax and wane with likeability, depending on attitude, different players and coaches coming and going, even their success or lack of. But Melbourne have been consistently awful through many eras.
Has big Gary "Fatso" Lyon had a comment on the Goodwin saga as yet.
Cheers
Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back