No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope it pans out like this next week.

Lions beat Melbourne then GWS upset Freo.

And then on Sunday, we beat the Hawks by enough to mean that Carlton have to win by 1 point to make finals on % or Collingwood win by 1 to secure top 4 and put their traditional rival out of finals.

As a footy fan, I want to watch Carlton v Collingwood played out on a nice day in front of a packed G under those circumstances.

Just watched it again and the umpire had definitely already adjudicated the mark with his whistle.

Yes Johnson was running towards McCartin, but he hadn't crossed past where the mark was taken before McCartin moved off his line. Johnson only moved beyond where the mark was taken after McCartin moved off his line, however I agree with you that the umpire hadn't called out "play on" so technically you're correct that it should have been 50m.

What I'm not sure of is whether Johnson was ever actually allowed to be as close to where McCartin took the mark even before he moved off the line. If you have to always give the player on the goal line 9-10 meters (or whatever that is) then there's an argument the Johnson had already massively gone past a protected area (I'm not sure if that's how that rule works or if it required the umpire to call something out).

Separately, the specific rushed behind rule is:

18.11.2 Free Kicks - Deliberate Rushed Behinds A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player from the Defending Team who intentionally Kicks, Handballs or forces the football over the Attacking Team’s Goal Line or Behind Line or onto one of the Attacking Team’s Goal Posts, and the Player: (a) is greater than nine metres from the Goal Line or Behind Line; (b) is not under immediate physical pressure; (c) has had time and space to dispose of the football; or (d) from a Ruck contest, hits the football over the Goal Line or Behind Line on the full.

There is no way it was a legal rushed behind. It's either a free kick to Pies or a 50m penalty and I think most likely a 50m penalty was correct (but only because the umpire was slow calling "play on").

Never accuse the AFL of inventing incomprehensible, arcane, complicated rules.

We need to keep it simple ffs.

Good luck junior umpires working that out.

Ps He should have faked a bad handball or waited to be tackled then fall over the line. Then it’s not deliberate.

Just watched it again and the umpire had definitely already adjudicated the mark with his whistle.

Yes Johnson was running towards McCartin, but he hadn't crossed past where the mark was taken before McCartin moved off his line. Johnson only moved beyond where the mark was taken after McCartin moved off his line, however I agree with you that the umpire hadn't called out "play on" so technically you're correct that it should have been 50m.

What I'm not sure of is whether Johnson was ever actually allowed to be as close to where McCartin took the mark even before he moved off the line. If you have to always give the player on the goal line 9-10 meters (or whatever that is) then there's an argument the Johnson had already massively gone past a protected area (I'm not sure if that's how that rule works or if it required the umpire to call something out).

Separately, the specific rushed behind rule is:

18.11.2 Free Kicks - Deliberate Rushed Behinds A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player from the Defending Team who intentionally Kicks, Handballs or forces the football over the Attacking Team’s Goal Line or Behind Line or onto one of the Attacking Team’s Goal Posts, and the Player: (a) is greater than nine metres from the Goal Line or Behind Line; (b) is not under immediate physical pressure; (c) has had time and space to dispose of the football; or (d) from a Ruck contest, hits the football over the Goal Line or Behind Line on the full.

There is no way it was a legal rushed behind. It's either a free kick to Pies or a 50m penalty and I think most likely a 50m penalty was correct (but only because the umpire was slow calling "play on").
Johnson had moved metres before the umpire had called play on...he basically made the umpire call play on. By this year's rules and what we get called for every week, it's a 50m pen.

AFL2022MELWB097.jpg

View attachment 1475970
He's more Weird Al for mine

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not only are they pushing out the president, but the VP who is aligned to the exiting president, is not the preferred option of a more viable board sub-group push - except the sub-group are aligned with...Sheedy! So you know Dodo will survive, and they'll have a senile puppet master pulling the strings, who has been aligned with Dodo for decades! Probably get Hird back as coach too. How good would that be - we'll ALL be surprised to be sitting here. I wonder if Dank gets a gig in the "all new" Essington"? Robbo will be beside himself - until they spend another 10 years bouncing around on the fringes of the 8 with no finals wins. Ah, good times...

Oh, and this almost guarantees a 24 page liftout tomorrow from Robbo, with 4 pages alone on how Stringer will have a breakout season with Hirdy guiding him. Nek minnit:

8213d44b29d0b228a3371ef54f0f3efb

Not only are they pushing out the president, but the VP who is aligned to the exiting president, is not the preferred option of a more viable board sub-group push - except the sub-group are aligned with...Sheedy! So you know Dodo will survive, and they'll have a senile puppet master pulling the strings, who has been aligned with Dodo for decades! Probably get Hird back as coach too. How good would that be - we'll ALL be surprised to be sitting here. I wonder if Dank gets a gig in the "all new" Essington"? Robbo will be beside himself - until they spend another 10 years bouncing around on the fringes of the 8 with no finals wins. Ah, good times...

Oh, and this almost guarantees a 24 page liftout tomorrow from Robbo, with 4 pages alone on how Stringer will have a breakout season with Hirdy guiding him. Nek minnit:

I think they should do whatever it takes

Bomberos board posters claiming they've been into Clarkson for months, and this is all part of the plan. Someone should tell North, and GWS... oh and Clarkson!

As if he'd entertain coaching discussions with other clubs if that was the case, and North have given several indications they are specifically discussing the coaching job with him. What a bunch of pillocks.

Robbo writing puff pieces about Essington...

Could there be a more natural double than that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back