No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose my point is, in the modern era, how many 'super' coaches that were head hunted, actually went on to get success?

Pagan, Malthouse (Carlton) and Blight were supposed to weave magic again at a new club and all were sacked pretty quickly when it didn't happen. You can probably add Worsfold to that group, though this tenure at Essendon was peptide affected so hard to gauge how he would have gone otherwise?

Matthews had an amazing list and Malthouse (Pies) took 25 years from the start of his coaching career to get a 2nd flag at a subsequent club.

Success is a tough thing to bottle and most success in recent years has come from first time senior coaches.

Bevo, Simpson, Hardwick, Longmire, Roos, Thompson.
Even Clarko was a 'first time' senior coach at the Hawks.

I suppose my point is, in the modern era, how many 'super' coaches that were head hunted, actually went on to get success?

Pagan, Malthouse (Carlton) and Blight were supposed to weave magic again at a new club and all were sacked pretty quickly when it didn't happen. You can probably add Worsfold to that group, though this tenure at Essendon was peptide affected so hard to gauge how he would have gone otherwise?

Matthews had an amazing list and Malthouse (Pies) took 25 years from the start of his coaching career to get a 2nd flag at a subsequent club.

Success is a tough thing to bottle and most success in recent years has come from first time senior coaches.

Bevo, Simpson, Hardwick, Longmire, Roos, Thompson.
Even Clarko was a 'first time' senior coach at the Hawks.
How often are these supposed super coaches actually successfully 'head hunted' in the modern era? And is there record of success greater or less than a first time coach? We're already going back 20 years to talk about Pagan and Blight.

It's very difficult to read into any of it, other than to say that most coaches these days (premiership winners or not) don't coach multiple clubs.

Clarko wants to stay in Melbourne. Are Roos and Essendon really the only suitors? There are better lists around. Roos have delivered an ultimatum .... Clarko doesn't strike me as an ultimatum sort of guy ...... unless he's delivering it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but have many coaches had premiership success at multiple clubs?

Matthews is the only one that comes to mind recently (and had an amazing list to work with at Brisbane).

Then you get the failures like Malthouse, Pagan and Blight who didn't last long.
Malthouse had flags at Eagles and Pies but was a full fledged flop at Carltank

Anybody else feel like the AFL world keeps looking at Clarkson as some God?

Yes his a great coach, but wow weeee.

If rumours are true and he has been speaking to them for some time, what an absolute flog.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
It's got Paul "look at me" Vibes all over it. That flog probably takes credit for Melbourne's flag

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Start preparing yourself. Let that inner rage boil. It's happening
Bookmark it.

Clarko has signed a 5 year deal with Essendon. Will be announced after Rd 23.

Bloke didn't win a final in his last 6 years as coach so he'll fit right in.
So he wants an "*" rather than "!" on his coaching obituary and wikipedia entry. Each to their own.

Feels so wrong

They go on about mental health, but the first ones to throw coaches/players to the wolves

Imagine how s**t Rutten would be feeling right now. He will get the sack and then be forced to attend a press conference acting all happy

Probably worse than when that journo asked the North CEO if they'd spoken to Clarko while sacked coach Noble was still sitting right next to him

Feels so wrong

They go on about mental health, but the first ones to throw coaches/players to the wolves

Imagine how s**t Rutten would be feeling right now. He will get the sack and then be forced to attend a press conference acting all happy

I hope he tells them stick their press conference up their a*se. Probably part of the settlement though.

Clarko wants to stay in Melbourne. Are Roos and Essendon really the only suitors? There are better lists around. Roos have delivered an ultimatum .... Clarko doesn't strike me as an ultimatum sort of guy ...... unless he's delivering it.
Would have barely any pressure at North to perform immediately, they'd give him 5 years to get the list up to par.

At Essendon he'd have the arrogant backwards board, blokes who have been there 20 years yet should've been fired 15 years ago like Dodoro and Kevin Sheedy looking over his shoulder at all times.

Would have barely any pressure at North to perform immediately, they'd give him 5 years to get the list up to par.

At Essendon he'd have the arrogant backwards board, blokes who have been there 20 years yet should've been fired 15 years ago like Dodoro and Kevin Sheedy looking over his shoulder at all times.
Further to that, the other big factor for any prospective coach is the list of young players to work with

If the criteria is 23 or under and with 10 games or more experience the lists are;

Ham, Caldwell, Martin, Durham, Jones, Cox,Perkins, Hobbs

Versus

Simpkin, LDU, Stephenson, Thomas, Zurhaar, ,Larkey, Taylor, CCU, Powell, Lazarro, Perez, Hayden, Scott, Bonar, Curtis, Mahony

That Norf young list is actually not bad (add in McKay at 25). Bummers are f@(&ed.

Further to that, the other big factor for any prospective coach is the list of young players to work with

If the criteria is 23 or under and with 10 games or more experience the lists are;

Ham, Caldwell, Martin, Durham, Jones, Cox,Perkins, Hobbs

Versus

Simpkin, LDU, Stephenson, Thomas, Zurhaar, ,Larkey, Taylor, CCU, Powell, Lazarro, Perez, Hayden, Scott, Bonar, Curtis, Mahony

That Norf young list is actually not bad (add in McKay at 25). Bummers are f@(&ed.
This list also doesn'y include JHF Will Phillips pick 1 and most likely a priority pick too Norf have a much brighter list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back