Opinion Non-Crows AFL 10

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm glad we weren't that woke in the 90s. Would have missed out on this iconic classic story.

Australia plucked out Zimbabwe’s ninth wicket at 120 and in walked Eddo Brandes. The game was all but won by Australia but Eddo wasn’t going down wondering and he decided to play his shots. A few minutes later, Glenn McGrath, the Australian pacer, casually asked Eddo, ”Why are you so fat?”

Eddo Brandes, the Zimbabwean bowler, didn’t miss the opportunity and quickly replied, “Because every time I make love to your wife, she gives me a biscuit.”

And it should be.

This opinion is going to offend a lot of people here, of course, but they are just words.

The reason you can’t (or shouldn’t) police spoken words on a football field is that there is no limiting principle to that concept.

So you punish some slurs and leave others alone? Who gets to decide that?

There has been some egregious, disgusting things said on football fields over the years. One of the worst I’ve ever seen was what Will Minson said to Kane Cornes.

But you didn’t need to suspend him — he paid dearly for it in the court of public opinion. As he should have.

An AFL-imposed five game suspension for something, anything, a player said on a football field is laughable.

I'm sure many opponents called Rance various more fruity versions of "pesky door-knocker" in his playing days.

Don't recall any bans being dished out for religious vilification.

And you don't think racists and homophones exist and harass people from those groups in the workplace? Very utopian world view there slippery!

If you’re from one of these “groups” you’re more likely to be promoted these days than harrassed.

To answer your question, no, it doesn’t happen to any significant degree.

It is not some systemic problem we need to stamp out. It just isn’t.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adel Uni teams/players used to be collectively called Uni P……s back in the day. Not so much in heated situations but just to be mildly derogatory, sometimes while attempting to be humorous. It seemed ubiquitous.

Playing olds scholars we’d routinely be called various derogatory terms. In Alice we were called pink this and pink that.

Go on Essendon. I dare you.

He should not be let back onto an AFL playing list, but they’ll let a Victorian club take him on and sell it as a good news story if it suits.

Whereas if we were to even think about recruiting him… BOOM DRAFT SANCTIONS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back