Opinion Non-Crows AFL 10

Remove this Banner Ad

The whistles often come late on them too recently.

I think they get away with it then, pinged

You can't just pay HTB. You have to wait to amplify drama... then whistle... then wait to be in the camera shot... then overly dramatically signal HTB.

There should be no comparison between AFL and 'other workplaces'.

I reckon if Kevin from accounting bumps Rebecca the receptionist off the ball - he is gonna get more than a week off.
All workplaces have a code of conduct that employees agree to. The penalties for breaking that code vary between workplaces. The AFL is no different.

Why shouldn't the AFL set standards for language if they want to?

The only arguments I've seen so far are things like

"Well they are bad at decision making"

Okay, but no one is suggesting having a free for all for other types of misconduct, only this. Apparently the AFL's bad decision making is too much for them to decide on slurs, but not bad enough to have it affect anything else. Why is the line being drawn specifically before dealing with slurs?

The answer has already been said in this thread, which is that some think mental health is fair game. It's not that the AFL shouldn't be allowed to create rules, it's that generally in society saying mean things (even slurs?) should be acceptable

"It's a slippery slope, won't they then ban all this other stuff?"

That's the fallacy people bring up whenever this stuff happens. Oh the AFL can't ban people for slurs because they might ban goal celebrations in the future. What are you even on about? There's no evidence they would do that and being unable to make rules now because of some future imagination that doesn't exist makes no sense

Last edited:

Where is the line though?
What was deemed acceptable 10 years ago, is now not.
As afc979810 said earlier who would have thought 5 years ago weights wouldn’t be allowed to be published anymore, next it will be heights and gender, it’s all getting sanitized.

Yeah, standards change over time. This isn't surprising and happens for basically everything.

All workplaces have a code of conduct that employees agree to. The penalties for breaking that code vary between workplaces. The AFL is no different.

Why shouldn't the AFL set standards for language if they want to?

They can - but we need to stop comparing the AFL to corporate business. Compare it to other sporting codes.

They can set standards for language - no-one is arguing they shouldn't. The argument (at least mine) is how they punish those who break the standards.

The only arguments I've seen so far are things like

"Well they are bad at decision making"

They are pretty terrible.

Okay, but no one is suggesting having a free for all for other types of misconduct, only this. Apparently the AFL's bad decision making is too much for them to decide on slurs, but not bad enough to have it affect anything else. Why is the line being drawn specifically before dealing with slurs?

For me - they have gone too far. IMO

The answer has already been said in this thread, which is that some think mental health is fair game. It's not that the AFL shouldn't be allowed to create rules, it's that generally in society saying mean things (even slurs?) should be acceptable

So where is your line? My personal line is that any slur, mean words, bullying, vilification can be policed by the AFL as much as they want to with fines and forced apologies. Don't ban players for words.

"It's a slippery slope, won't they then ban all this other stuff?"

That's the fallacy people bring up whenever this stuff happens. Oh the AFL can't ban people for slurs because they might ban goal celebrations in the future. What are you even on about? There's no evidence they would do that and being unable to make rules now because of some future imagination that doesn't exist makes no sense

It is a slippery slope. I dont think its a fallacy. The AFL is refusing to publish professional athletes weights because of eating disorders shows where we are headed.

I’m struggling to remember a single instance where that actually happened.

If the Brisbane player on the end of this comment wanted Powell to be rubbed out for five weeks, I’ll eat my hat.
If everyone agreed to move on, how did the AFL find out about it to hand down a penalty?

Does this apply to other work places?

It should, in my view.

Do you think hate speech or racial slurs should be dealt with by a handshake in those instances?

Yes

How is that possible if the person delivering the slur actually stands by it and feels the other person is lesser than they are?

This fantasy scenario you’ve put up here is so rare in a workplace as to be almost non-existent.

From what I have read, he self-reported, the same as Finlayson.

Powell actually apologized to the player while the match was in progress.

That should have been the end of it.
So he reported himself knowing he would be banned for it.

I'm not sure what the issue is.

Brad Scott may want to walk some of his comments on Tarryn Thomas back

May 1

They can - but we need to stop comparing the AFL to corporate business. Compare it to other sporting codes.

They can set standards for language - no-one is arguing they shouldn't. The argument (at least mine) is how they punish those who break the standards.

They are pretty terrible.

For me - they have gone too far. IMO

So where is your line? My personal line is that any slur, mean words, bullying, vilification can be policed by the AFL as much as they want to with fines and forced apologies. Don't ban players for words.

It is a slippery slope. I dont think its a fallacy. The AFL is refusing to publish professional athletes weights because of eating disorders shows where we are headed.

I don't have an issue with players being banned for words. I don't have an issue with the AFL as an organisation deciding on standards for themselves.

I think the AFL largely applies standards that match the opinion of society at the time and adjusts those standards over time to keep up. Which is what most organisations do.

Will the AFL actually slide further down the slope than the shifting standards of society at the time, banning things like goal celebrations? Unless goal celebrations were generally seen by people as unacceptable at that future time, I highly doubt it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ok so if all the right wing crackpots have finished infecting every thread with their culture wars, on to football issues.

Is Clayton Oliver nothing more than a slightly better version of Matt Crouch? He seems to have the same habit that Matt has - accumulating possessions thanks to 15 m sideway kicks at half back that gain no advantage to his team at all.

This is why my life is better following the SANFL more than AFL, go to a game with mates, enjoy it, go home, go again next week. In between there’s no bullshit arguments about premiership rings, who called who what and and every other bit of pointless gossip that has no affect of your life at all yet apparently is of the utmost importance.

You don't think Will Powell's suspension is relevant in the Non-Crows AFL thread?
Sure, but it's being discussed as a culture war across multiple threads. I'm over it.
Take that rubbish to Facebook with the other boomers.

That's the whole thing though

When does acceptable banter cross the line into unacceptable slurs? Who decides where the line is, how is it policed and what are the penalties for transgressing?
Yeah that is the whole thing. Ages ago the AFL decided that racial slurs crossed the line and would not be acceptable. They are again deciding that sexualilty should not be vilified. Because it's not socieatlly acceptable anymore.

The AFL follows society it certainly doesn't lead.

Do I think the weight stuff is ridiculous? Yes. Especially in an elite sporting environment where even the heaviest player would still be considered incredibly fit by society standards. Do I think banter needs to stay - sure. But do I think you should be able to put someone down because of their race or sexuality, or imply that those races or sexualies make you less than. NO.

There should be no comparison between AFL and 'other workplaces'.

I reckon if Kevin from accounting bumps Rebecca the receptionist off the ball - he is gonna get more than a week off.
Depends did Rebecca duck into the tackle?

Was more just trying to get a gauge on slippery's views on discrimination in the workplace overall. Agree the AFLs not the same as other workplac-s - but they do still decide on the standards of those involved.

Where is the line though?
What was deemed acceptable 10 years ago, is now not.
As afc979810 said earlier who would have thought 5 years ago weights wouldn’t be allowed to be published anymore, next it will be heights and gender, it’s all getting sanitized.
Get the fear- but should we roll it back then? Let everyone use racial slurs?

It should, in my view.

Yes

This fantasy scenario you’ve put up here is so rare in a workplace as to be almost non-existent.
I thought that might be the case - and just going to agree to disagree. I think there is no place for vilification in the workplace, sporting field, or in general.

And you don't think racists and homophones exist and harass people from those groups in the workplace? Very utopian world view there slippery!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back