Opinion Non-Crows AFL 9

Which team will finish the 2024 season higher ranked?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope they regret it all.

And if things go south, their inability to commit one way or the other will be the defining epitaph of this era

The arrogant complacency that got us into that mess, just assuming we are smarter than everyone else seems to have a whiff on the wind again. Assuming the rebuild is over and we will just take our rightful place back contending and we’ll never need to worry again.

I hope that’s my imagination
I think they feel the opposite.

They're glad they didn't re-sign Keath and Greenwood, they're glad they didn't try and talk Pyke around.

They know they went into 2019 thinking they were top four, and they finished 11th. They're glad they didn't stay as deluded heading into 2020, and they took the action they did.

They probably felt they were going to be 12th or so, and they were 18th. But I'm sure they felt like they had started down the right path, instead of continuing to pursue a fool's errand.

Interesting - so you feel that both you and WCE think this will be a very swift turnaround?

I'd be curious what those who are closer to that club would think.
Weagles are in for years of pain. Mc Govern 32 next mth, Darling and Cripps 32 mid year, Yeo 31 this year, Kelly 30 this year. Barrass 29 this year. Its actually embarrassing watching almost 32 yo Gaff still trying to run.

now THEY are the team that delayed the rebuild for far too long and still havent got it right. Why not trade Yeo away. Give Gaff away (if possible). Ditto Darling. They last played finals 2020 and kept playing their golden oldies (when fit) in the last 2 years when they won 5 games TOTAL. Now that is shite list management and strategy, and misjudging where you are at. They wont be in contention for finals for another half decade minimum IMO

Crows have nailed the rebuild years faster than the Weagles. Surely this cant be questioned?

That's maybe fair enough. There's still the chance to add a few pieces.

I could see maybe contention in 2026 if everything goes really well

I think going from being out of finals to a potential flag winner in just 2 years (2024/2025) is a tall order

I think going from being out of finals to a potential flag winner in just 2 years (2024/2025) is a tall order

We should be aiming for contention for the next 3 years at a minimum. Other teams turn it around quickly and our club should have the same expectations.

Melbourne went from 17th in 2019 to 9th in 2020 to a flag in 2021.
Collingwood went from 8th in 2020 to 17th in 2021 to top 4 in 2022 to a flag in 2023.
Brisbane went from 17th in 2016 to 18th in 2017 to 15th in 2018 to 2nd in 2019 and top 4 for the next years and a grand final in 2023.

We went 3 wins - 4 losses against last years top 4 teams. Those 4 loses against top 4 teams were for a combined 13 points.

Our best 22 is good enough. If we get less disastrous coaching we should be an absolute lock for the 8 and should look to push for top 4.

We should be aiming for contention for the next 3 years at a minimum. Other teams turn it around quickly and our club should have the same expectations.

Collingwood went from 8th in 2020 to 17th in 2021 to top 4 in 2022 to a flag in 2023.
Brisbane went from 17th in 2016 to 18th in 2017 to 15th in 2018 to 2nd in 2019 and top 4 for the next years and a grand final in 2023.

We went 3 wins - 4 losses against last years top 4 teams. Those 4 loses against top 4 teams were for a combined 13 points.

Our best 22 is good enough. If we get less disastrous coaching we should be an absolute lock for the 8 and should look to push for top 4.
Wasn't Melbourne rebuilding for a decade or more prior to that? Same with Brisbane?

Weagles are in for years of pain. Mc Govern 32 next mth, Darling and Cripps 32 mid year, Yeo 31 this year, Kelly 30 this year. Barrass 29 this year. Its actually embarrassing watching almost 32 yo Gaff still trying to run.

now THEY are the team that delayed the rebuild for far too long and still havent got it right. Why not trade Yeo away. Give Gaff away (if possible). Ditto Darling. They last played finals 2020 and kept playing their golden oldies (when fit) in the last 2 years when they won 5 games TOTAL. Now that is shite list management and strategy, and misjudging where you are at. They wont be in contention for finals for another half decade minimum IMO

Crows have nailed the rebuild years faster than the Weagles. Surely this cant be questioned?
You can't trade McGovern, that's like us trading Walker and Darling, Cripps and Yeo don't have any currency given their age and injury history of Yeo. Gaff should have retired but he still has a contract, Kelly and Barrass still have 3-4 years left to help their youngsters come through. You can't get rid of all the experience players which is a mistake a lot of clubs do when they cut too deep in a rebuild. We did the same but staggered our rebuild from the massive list turnover in 2019 and then in 2020 but still very pleasantly surprise we are 2-3 years ahead given the amount of experience players we turnover in those 2 years.

If we were already a finalist like Melbourne and Collingwood before they dropped down into the bottom 4 for a single year, sure.

Brisbane missed finals for 9 consecutive years including 5 back to back years in the bottom 4

Rising up isn't as simple as going from awful to good quickly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably not. Finals yes but serious contention no. Not until players like Rachele and Thilthorpe are around 24 years old
good one to bookmark :)

I wouldnt be surprised to see us win the whole thing, let alone get very close, in 2025/2026 (and I dare to dream even with the upcoming year..)

If we were already a finalist like Melbourne and Collingwood before they dropped down into the bottom 4 for a single year, sure.

Brisbane missed finals for 9 consecutive years including 5 back to back years in the bottom 4

Rising up isn't as simple as going from awful to good quickly

Sure it is. Carlton were 16th in 2019. Then went 11th, 13th, 9th and made the prelim in 2023.

Its not much different to us going 18th in 2020, then going 15th, 14th, 10th?

Many on here made the argument that we were too young to push for finals last year. If we had a coach that didnt make some pretty horrendous decisions we should have made the finals.

We are another year older than our 2023 team and our only losses from last year are Doedee (11 games) and McAdam (7 games). We should be expecting at minimum a top 8 position and should be eyeing up a top 4 spot.

true BUT with the one true gap of Tex declining (which is big admittedly and needs Fog/TT to step up to fill much of the gap), we were good enough to make the finals last year. And that not just Keays-gate but 5 close losses to finals sides including 4 losses (3 away) to top 4 teams by a goal or less. Various analysis (its out there) showed based on draw and results we were equivalent to a top 5 team last year. Not sure we were really a 10th based team based on the substance of the years form.

Time will tell. Massive first month of the season coming up and this board will either be elated at 3-1 (4-0?) or in the darkest of moods if things dont go our way - esp the Suns and Freo games away where we need to clearly win at least win one of them.

Last edited:
You can't trade McGovern, that's like us trading Walker and Darling, Cripps and Yeo don't have any currency given their age and injury history of Yeo. Gaff should have retired but he still has a contract, Kelly and Barrass still have 3-4 years left to help their youngsters come through. You can't get rid of all the experience players which is a mistake a lot of clubs do when they cut too deep in a rebuild. We did the same but staggered our rebuild from the massive list turnover in 2019 and then in 2020 but still very pleasantly surprise we are 2-3 years ahead given the amount of experience players we turnover in those 2 years.
Agreed and didnt suggest trading Mc Govern.

Its the other 3-4 of Darling, Yeo, Cripps etc that should have gone (similar to us getting rid of Greenwood and Keath) where 1-2 of them may have got a mid-late second rounder. Yeo for pick 32-38 for a contending team for example. Or even third rounder to get em off the books and blood youngsters THIS year instead of playing the same cohort of 30+ players that are taking salary cap and will probably play a majority of the games each (those 3 for example) despite Weagles being a near bottom 2 certainty

Its not just

Webster from the Saints did a SPP just now.

4+ weeks coming up, could easily be 6 weeks.
High hit, Severe Impact, Deliberate.

Literally flew into the air to collect him, opting to not tackle or smoother.

This is 6+ all over it.

1709437827177-png.1918429

1709437844578-png.1918430

Back