Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice of Pies and Eagles to find form just in time for, well you know.
Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

You think it was a stitch up?
WADA so reputable and dedicated to clean sport. So it must be that no stone left unturned.

The global anti-doping body, which has the authority to appeal the rulings of national doping agencies, said it reviewed the decision and consulted scientific experts and external legal counsel to test the contamination theory presented by CHINADA.

"WADA ultimately concluded that it was not in a position to disprove the possibility that contamination was the source of TMZ and it was compatible with the analytical data in the file," the global anti-doping body said in a statement.

"WADA also concluded that the athletes would be held to have no fault or negligence. As such, and based on the advice of external counsel, WADA considered an appeal was not warranted."

Blind Turn.

Very much UN-Eggs.

The name threw me off but the photo did not.
😁 Just showing that I’m not trying to hide.

The avatar will always remain but I wanted to keep the blind turn alive as one of the great footy skills that seems to have largely vanished from the field of play. It has metaphorical value too.

Can you imagine if we landed a generational life changer like Harley Reid with pick 1 in 2016?

You’d solve renewable energy, 17 other fanbases consistently absolutely filthy for the next 15 years.

Can you imagine if we landed a generational life changer like Harley Reid with pick 1 in 2016?

You’d solve renewable energy, 17 other fanbases consistently absolutely filthy for the next 15 years.
And can you imagine giving up a generational talent in Reid because you wanted to beat a checked out Gold Coast after back to back spoons and losing 20 games in a row, only to likely win the spoon again the next year with no clear number 1 talent?

It was dumb then and dumb in hindsight. You need a Reid type to win premierships.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely massive win for Carlton yesterday.

That they beat the early front runner is very much secondary to the style of opponent bested and the way in which they did it.

Carlton has had very good results in the last 2 seasons against the likes of Melbourne and Collingwood. Their ability to beat a good team has not really been in issue even prior to the 2023 finals. As early as 2022 they were one of the best teams in it if the opponent allowed the game to become a contested slog. But that game style has a limit of about a prelim.

The reason yesterday is so significant is because GWS is one of the few teams that can stand toe-to-toe in a contested slog with Carlton but who also has an elite transition game which, at least prior to yesterday, would be a significant advantage over Carlton. While Voss has been trying to evolve the transition/ball movement game, because it is the right thing to do even when it looked to have blown-up 2023, it does seem to have come at the expense of their clearance game.

Yesterday was a perfect storm, they combined their 1-wood inside brutality with the evolved ball movement / transition game which is why the result can speak for itself, without any qualification. They are now the top seed for the flag as far as I am concerned - the Cats need to be tested by a side that exposes their weakness which I don't think they really got last night. Carlton's depth is good. The only reservation I have is that they'll hit their peak when the Hollands boys and Cowan mature but that might take another 12 months. It's what gives them the additional run and explosiveness that is otherwise missing.

Got to hand it to Voss. I saw him as the right guy at the right time because he would set the contested platform which would return Carlton to the finals. All indications were that he'd outlive his usefulness quite quickly or that he'd become a handbrake in the way Fagan and Hinkley are. But he saw what didn't work in 2022; tried to change it; recognised the team wasn't ready and reverted to type which saved 2023 (managing to get buy in from the players despite the change in direction); and (I assume) has now used the confidence of the 2023 finals run to revisit and properly implement the change in system rather than butting his head against a brick wall for 10 years (in the way Hinkley and Fagan have done). That's outstanding coaching.

Last edited:
ollie florant has played 99 games straight since he’s debuted, have we ever done anything like that? i feel like we’re way too hesitant to play youth like other clubs do
I'd put this more down to luck with injury than anything else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back