Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

What are people's thoughts about Reid having a rest week off to spend back at home in Vic?
It seems most of the Eagles supporters/posters are trying to put a positive spin on it, but I can't say I would be happy.
Perception is reality and this looks like preferential treatment of their young star and not putting the team first.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/w...s/news-story/5a48caa070caf072d97652895a11cd73
I like it. It is a sign of a club thinking long term about a player. What is good for him as a person as well as a still green professional athlete.

I think a fault across pro football has been to overplay the "best" players instead of trying to accommodate the individual and develop balance and depth in the list.

Players shouldn't be meat for the grinder and Clubs shouldn't be sausage factories

It’s a questionable strategy because I assume they think once GWS win a flag thousands of new fans will come out of the woodwork.
Melbourne storm are probably the most successful NRL team ever yet are still minnows in Melbourne. The premierships they won haven’t made a huge dent at all.

If GWS win a flag western Sydney folk will go “ oh that’s nice, good to see” before immediately turning their focus back to Penrith and parramatta and Canterbury bullgogs etc.
Respectfully disagree Dockeroo. Footy is growing in the league heartlands. From a very small base to be sure, but it's growth is ongoing and real.

I go over east fairly regularly for work. The number of people willing to have a serious conversation about the AFL have grown markedly over the last 30 years.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton losing

Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

And Geelong show you how it’s done when the game gets close .
Keep going fwd/keep looking to score

We would’ve gone right into our shells and shat the bed if that was us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back