Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Aiden ODriscoll has retired effective immediately. The brother of Nathan and Emma
That’s sad. But the trend is players are definitely not stuffing around with concussion. Even more initiative for AFL to fund/introduce post career superannuation or pension.
The Fox panel on the Couch last night got angry about the Cameron non concussion on the weekend. Gary Lyon was fired up about it.
Cameron was never interested in having th Doc check him out on the ground, and looked like he ran away when the Doc maybe wanted him to go off the ground.
Interesting to hear Longmuire say some opposition players in games against us should have , but didn't , leave the ground for the concussion test.
As Lyon said last night, they are more concerned about getting players off the ground with a hammy than concussion.
Also to add to the drama, the AFL have gone down to Geelong to talk to Geelong and Scott about the incident. Strange that, because they AFL had already given the all clear for the incident.
Maybe, it just depends on how important a club you are to get the approval from the AFL.

Last edited:

I have no idea what Clarko said but I think it is always best to go by what the gay community think. If they consider it to be a homophobic slur then it is.
And Clarko, one of the golden boys of the AFL has still not undergone remidial lessons. A recidivist at the AFL level, yet the AFL do nothing about any of his indiscretions.

I'd prefer that sort of language to not be used around my children all the same, but I think it's a good moment to recognise that hate speech is difficult to identify when the intent is both required to be known and unknown.

We can probably move this discussion to the politics thread so we can get back to discussing the real football issues such as:
Did the AFL's insurance have a part to play in Aiden O'Driscoll's retirement?
Does Essendon barely leaving their home state in two and a half months at the end of the season constitute a league intervention attempting to get them to place high enough to win a final with a double chance?
It is a good question. But the AFL wouldn't do such a thing , would they?
A few weeks back, the Fox Couch crew were looking at their run home and looking at how east their run was. Noting a couple of games, one being the Eagles, twice in 7 weeks.
I wouldn't have thought the AFL would stoop to such devious means.. but then again... maybe they would.Yaeh, I guess they would, they need as many VFL clubs in the eight as they can get.

It is a good question. But the AFL wouldn't do such a thing , would they?
A few weeks back, the Fox Couch crew were looking at their run home and looking at how east their run was. Noting a couple of games, one being the Eagles, twice in 7 weeks.
I wouldn't have thought the AFL would stoop to such devious means.. but then again... maybe they would.Yaeh, I guess they would, they need as many VFL clubs in the eight as they can get.

Maybe if we hired the AFL operations manager as our coach we could have the fixture we needed to be successful.

if we rely on fixture to make us successful then we will overlook all the real root causes of constant falling short.

If we pretend that the fixture isn't literally used by the AFL to distort the ladder then we won't get anywhere with the conversation.

If we pretend that the fixture isn't literally used by the AFL to distort the ladder then we won't get anywhere with the conversation.
then move along, no conspiracy here.,

Now if you thought the Fixture is manipulated to get maximum dollars from Television rights you would be spot on.

then move along, no conspiracy here.,

Now if you thought the Fixture is manipulated to get maximum dollars from Television rights you would be spot on.

It definitely does that, but they also engineer the fixture to have sides 6th to 12th all around the same points.

I'd prefer that sort of language to not be used around my children all the same, but I think it's a good moment to recognise that hate speech is difficult to identify when the intent is both required to be known and unknown.

We can probably move this discussion to the politics thread so we can get back to discussing the real football issues such as:
Did the AFL's insurance have a part to play in Aiden O'Driscoll's retirement?
Does Essendon barely leaving their home state in two and a half months at the end of the season constitute a league intervention attempting to get them to place high enough to win a final with a double chance?
Bloody kids.

The AFL is definitely trying to get Essendon into finals. Interesting how the media has gone from Ben McKay worst contract ever to Ben McKay how how did other clubs not target him?

as the fixture is created before season starts they wouldnt know who the teams from 6th to 12th are by end of sseason.

perhaps they good guessers.

if we rely on fixture to make us successful then we will overlook all the real root causes of constant falling short.
The fixture is all we can go on.Esendon have eight Melbourne based games in that set of fixtures, Geelong eight also,Collingwood seven.
When these clubs and all other VFL club have to travel the same number of times as interstate teams, then we will sea difference in performance from all clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

as the fixture is created before season starts they wouldnt know who the teams from 6th to 12th are by end of sseason.

perhaps they good guessers.
It is the AFL looking after the VFL clubs whichever way you look at it.
The more VFL clubs in the top eight, the better, for them.

The fixture is all we can go on. Esendon have eight Melbourne based games in that set of fixtures, Geelong eight also,Collingwood seven.
When these clubs and all other VFL club have to travel the same number of times as interstate teams, then we will sea difference in performance from all clubs.
Until there is more interstate clubs than Melbourne clubs (this is unlikely to occur in the near future if at all)
Then the Melbourne clubs cannot travel as often as the interstate clubs

WA/ SA/ QLD/ NSW (and soon Tas )will travel every 2nd week on average. only 4 (soon 5) Victorian teams can travel interstate to play the home team.

So that leaves 6 more vic teams who cant travel and need to play each other instead.

Last edited:
So why can’t a team like say Collingwood play WCE and Freo in WA every year then have to travel to SA play Port and Adelaide then travel to say QLD and play Brisbane and GC every year? Why MUST they only travel a couple of times a year but we have to travel every second week and spend a month without a home game? It can be done the AFL just doesn’t want to do it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Happy Lisa Simpson GIF by The Simpsons

Collingwood earn too much through the gate for the AFL. That's why Norf request home games against them as a priority every year.

Remember, it's called the FIXture for a reason.

Oh dear.
Here's the best line from the article.
Mr Edwards explained that Witherden's scheme was a one-man operation and that he didn't know exactly what he was doing.
More trouble for the Eagles. Not sure if it's Harry or Luke Edwards but sounds like Alex is not a team player.

Clarko is such a grub. The league has had multiple opportunities to actually make a statement and not stand for the crap he has said or done and stands pretty silently/does nothing.

Clarko is a protected species, just another example of the double standard emanating from the AFL.

It's so frustrating for us footy fans, to have to put up with their inconsistent flip flopping, depending on whom they are dealing with. The AFL are a joke.

So why can’t a team like say Collingwood play WCE and Freo in WA every year then have to travel to SA play Port and Adelaide then travel to say QLD and play Brisbane and GC every year? Why MUST they only travel a couple of times a year but we have to travel every second week and spend a month without a home game? It can be done the AFL just doesn’t want to do it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
becasue if Collingwood is travelling all that time, then other Victorian clubs wont be travelling. IT is is simply a numbers game. only 4 Victorian clubs can travel for any week

As to a month with no home games. that was Fremantle's choice to stay in Adelaide after Gather round , not the AFL.

It is simple maths

8 interstate teams in 4 states - 4 home games eahc week. 4 away each week
23 rounds of football
total games played interstate = 92 games
of those 92 games. 8 of them are Derbies/ Q Clash/ Showdowns etc/ (allwoing for two per year perhaps there should ony be one per year)
Then we have the SA/WA/QLD/NSW games. (unless you propose canceling all them)
So there is another 24 games of all those states playing each other at least once
Thst leaves only 60 games per year that victorian clubs cna travel interstate

10 clubs in victoria. The play 230 games per year total. hmmm they need half of them 115 to be outside victoria to make it FAIR. Hmmm

So only answer for a FAIR draw is
1. Same number of clubs in each state
2. Play every other team only ONCE per year. (Rotate home games each year)

Any other manipulation to force certain Vict teams to travel more will give other victorians less travel.

They must be if Essendon leave Melbourne twice in 14 games must be a conspiracy eh, but then again you reckon the AFL is the best thing since sliced bread.
actually love sliced bread , with lots of butter and then some ham and some cheese and tomato

But no i dont beleive in any conspiracies.

No Aliens coming to visit us. Elvis is Dead !

It is simple maths

8 interstate teams in 4 states - 4 home games eahc week. 4 away each week
It is not simple maths. There is no "simple maths" reason why your first premise is inevitable. In principle, the "interstate" teams could never travel, and the Vic teams could travel most weeks. It would be very odd and highly improbable, but not for simple maths reasons. To ensure that every team plays each other at least once, you'd only need 24 interstate trips to accommodate the "interstate" teams playing each other at least once (I think; happy to be corrected).

No doubt, that scenario borders on unthinkable, but it is so for historical and commercial reasons, not due to simple maths.

Until there is more interstate clubs than Melbourne clubs (this is unlikely to occur in the near future if at all)
Then the Melbourne clubs cannot travel as often as the interstate clubs

WA/ SA/ QLD/ NSW (and soon Tas )will travel every 2nd week on average. only 4 (soon 5) Victorian teams can travel interstate to play the home team.

So that leaves 6 more vic teams who cant travel and need to play each other instead.
The only way that there can be change and a fairer competition , is by less VFL clubs.
Clubs like the Giants, Suns and Devils, will always be owned by the AFL.
The only way to even things out is to weed out the clubs that still require money and other assistance from the AFL.
I think some one posted on the site the VFL clubs that though bragging about being financila, are still drawing far more than clubs like Fremantle.
Less VFL clubs is the answer.

That's true but the fixture is routinely a problem that the AFL refuses to fix, when there are multiple solutions to make it fairer. I am not saying it's a conspiracy but it's easy to see how conspiracy theories arise, because they refuse to fix something that is fixable

Remove this Banner Ad

Back