Non-Lions Footy Discussion 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

They have nine players in their leadership group (Grimes (co-captain), Trengove (co-captain), Nathan Jones (vice-captain), Shannon Byrnes, Mitch Clark, Chris Dawes, James Frawley, Colin Garland and McKenzie). Not one of them would be anywhere near the leadership group at most clubs.

... except maybe Mitch Clark:oops:

I think it's funny that upon Dean Bailey's sacking he announced that 'he did what was best for the footy club' followed by a wink and a nod, and no one gave a crap. But after a Brock McLean interview tanking has now become a serious offence.

I still reckon it is Vlad trying to re-wtite history. Legal for 4 years & then made accountable for the last? Pull the other one.

Be interesting to see if Visy are so keen to pay for an envioronmental ambassador next year.:cool:

I really hope we don't follow soccer and become all about money. This is the right step in stopping this, however in this ultra materialistic world money is the be all and end all. A little more money wouldn't hurt though...

On what grounds were they appealing? Was it the 'pretty please' defence?
Probably worked better than Tippett's 'Chewbacca' defense

chewbacca_defense_2.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There'll be some kind of compromise solution, that'll involve a token penalty for the club.

It's just way too hard to definitively prove that a club sets out to lose, even with testimony.

And I'm still not sure that playing players out of position in a nothing game, even giving them weird matchups that have little chance of succeeding, constitutes tanking at all.

I think to show tanking you would just about need a coach to specifically instruct players to lose.

They'll probably penalise the people involved (Connolly, Bailey, etc.) and not the club.

They'll probably penalise the people involved (Connolly, Bailey, etc.) and not the club.

Would set a dangerous precedent. The birth of the AFL scapegoat. Cheat all you want, then lay all your sins on a sacrificial lamb.

Would set a dangerous precedent. The birth of the AFL scapegoat. Cheat all you want, then lay all your sins on a sacrificial lamb.

I think Melbourne's performance on and off the field would be enough disincentive for other clubs. If they could find West Coast guilty of tanking/draft tampering the year they got Gaff and Darling it would be a different case.

I agree. Bailey and Connolly were employees of the club, acting in their role as employees of the club, for what they perceived as the benefit of the club. If there's culpability here, there's no logical way to exclude the club from it.

There would be no way the club would be unaware of single persons actions, especially with something like tanking. Coaches don't have that much pull at footy clubs. Token penalty will be the outcome. Very hard thing to prove, and the AFL wont want to screw it up.

Because the club itself took no action against the perpetrators the club appears to be culpable.

Draw-and-quarter them all I say!

Hard to argue with that. I mean, the match ups that were used in that game were beyond mind boggling. Against a team you can beat, any club CEO should have dragged them all into the office and blasted them over such a performance and said 'tactics'. The fact nothing was ever asked about it says a lot about where the orders came from.

Hard to argue with that. I mean, the match ups that were used in that game were beyond mind boggling. Against a team you can beat, any club CEO should have dragged them all into the office and blasted them over such a performance and said 'tactics'. The fact nothing was ever asked about it says a lot about where the orders came from.
Funny lot the Irish.;)

On the "Rumour File" on 3AW the other morning..

"..a very big name player will NOT be playing this year due to serious drug offences.."
Was replayed this morning, then the host said the person who made that call was a policeman.

On SEN today Daniel Harford, Rita and Richo were discussing the very latest talk around the AFL (I'm assuming the above) commenting that it was very very disturbing if true, and the AFL's drug policy is not working and have to get tougher etc..

..oh the intrigue, sounds like something big is about to break folks.

On the "Rumour File" on 3AW the other morning..

"..a very big name player will NOT be playing this year due to serious drug offences.."
Was replayed this morning, then the host said the person who made that call was a policeman.

On SEN today Daniel Harford, Rita and Richo were discussing the very latest talk around the AFL (I'm assuming the above) commenting that it was very very disturbing if true, and the AFL's drug policy is not working and have to get tougher etc..

..oh the intrigue, sounds like something big is about to break folks.

Normally I just dismiss these drug rumours as complete rubbish (which has historically proven to be the case) but maybe this one is true, and Demetriou's comments the other day were softening the ground for a controversial announcement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back