Non-Lions Footy Season (2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Herald Sun is reporting that Scully could be traded for a third round pick. What a ridiculously low price
On top of that, how ridiculously cheap have St Kilda (Hanneberry) and Carlton (Setterfield) gotten those respective players.:huh:

It is actually becoming farcical how cheaply Melbourne based clubs can get players from non-Victorian teams, yet non-Victorian teams pay through the nose to bring in players from Melbourne or other non-Victorian players.

Given the AFL Commission is essentially the VFL Commission, it is unlikely the AFL will do anything about this trade imbalance that is permeating throughout Melbourne based clubs whilst the four north of the Murray clubs in particularly are just raided like a vulture picking apart a corpse. And yet the Academies were watered down whilst giving every other club the NGA which has also become farcical by including indigenous players.

Just about to give up because northern clubs basically have no chance anymore when Tom Scully needs to return to be closer to home (he's in ******* Sydney, not the other side of the globe.:mad:

Setterfield was the equivalent of a top 15 pick (points-wise, and GWS will probably use the picks for points) for a top 5 who hasn't gotten on the field. That's not a bad return.

Hannebery was ridiculously cheap but I get the impression the Swans were fine to get rid of him. He was probably overpaid and they needed to sign some of their decent youngsters, and the last 18 months have not been kind to him - he definitely looks like his career is going to end sooner rather than later. I would've been very disappointed if we'd picked up Hannebery for any price, given a five year contract.

Hogan situation is a mystery to me. Is this part of a hardline negotiating tactic? Or a roundabout way to increase their leverage over us by saying essentially “we aren’t desperate for that pick 5”? It appears to have moved the price from 5 and 6, to 5 and 23. Something come up with hogan that we don’t know about? (Mh?) it seems a touch weird to have a press conference to say they’re out. Fascinating.

A few Freo supporters backing themselves in to get Kelly and convince Neale to stay. As well as this others are saying they don't need Hogan if they have Taberner and Lobb. Good luck to them but if that's what they're hoping for I suspect some disappointment is in their near future.

A few Freo supporters backing themselves in to get Kelly and convince Neale to stay. As well as this others are saying they don't need Hogan if they have Taberner and Lobb. Good luck to them but if that's what they're hoping for I suspect some disappointment is in their near future.

Trying to assemble a list of players who don’t want to be there.

It’s a bold strategy Cotton.

On top of that, how ridiculously cheap have St Kilda (Hanneberry) and Carlton (Setterfield) gotten those respective players.:huh:

It is actually becoming farcical how cheaply Melbourne based clubs can get players from non-Victorian teams, yet non-Victorian teams pay through the nose to bring in players from Melbourne or other non-Victorian players.

Given the AFL Commission is essentially the VFL Commission, it is unlikely the AFL will do anything about this trade imbalance that is permeating throughout Melbourne based clubs whilst the four north of the Murray clubs in particularly are just raided like a vulture picking apart a corpse. And yet the Academies were watered down whilst giving every other club the NGA which has also become farcical by including indigenous players.

Just about to give up because northern clubs basically have no chance anymore when Tom Scully needs to return to be closer to home (he's in ******* Sydney, not the other side of the globe.:mad:
My opinion and I am neither Sydney or Saints lover and I feel I hold a fairly non-judgmental perspective, it looks like both trades were spot on. No overs no unders. Sydney salary damped Hannebarry and got a good return. Setterfield for mid first-round pick is spot on if not (IMO) slightly overs. So how are these deals ridiculously cheap? Sydney are good operators and to suggest that they would give the Saints "ridiculous cheap" deals is very disrespectful to a club that historically have been fair and tough operators. Context seems to be missing from your imagined "that we are somehow always casualties" of a calamitous, somehow complicit, non existent trading event. It's getting a bit tiresome now.

My opinion and I am neither Sydney or Saints lover and I feel I hold a fairly non-judgmental perspective, it looks like both trades were spot on. No overs no unders. Sydney salary damped Hannebarry and got a good return. Setterfield for mid first-round pick is spot on if not (IMO) slightly overs. So how are these deals ridiculously cheap? Sydney are good operators and to suggest that they would give the Saints "ridiculous cheap" deals is very disrespectful to a club that historically have been fair and tough operators. Context seems to be missing from your imagined "that we are somehow always casualties" of a calamitous, somehow complicit, non existent trading event. It's getting a bit tiresome now.
Just on Setterfield, and who was traded from GWS to Carlton, he wasn't traded for a mid first round pick. On points value it might look like a mid first round pick, but he was traded for a future 2019 second round pick from Carlton and this years 2018 third round pick, currently pick 43.

Just on Setterfield, and who was traded from GWS to Carlton, he wasn't traded for a mid first round pick. On points value it might look like a mid first round pick, but he was traded for a future 2019 second round pick from Carlton and this years 2018 third round pick, currently pick 43.
As you said on points value works to mid first.

And now they reportedly want Scrimshaw too.o_O
Talk all season long on the Suns board was that Scrimshaw wanted to go to Hawthorn, being a huge Hawthorn supporter.

Again, "the talk" on GC's board was Scrimshaw couldn't get a game for Gold Coast due to his lack of a tank to get through games. Something that Scrimshaw was upset about. Kid might be in for a shock if he gets to Hawthorn, won't be gifted game time. But he might be happy just being at the club he supports.

Do wonder if he'll have to renegotiate his contract. Said to be on big money starting next year.

“If Lukosius and Rankine end up going to Gold Coast, we’re probably pretty happy to try to get them back in a few years’ time,” Cripps said on AFL Trade Radio on Monday morning.

This is generally pleasing

“If Lukosius and Rankine end up going to Gold Coast, we’re probably pretty happy to try to get them back in a few years’ time,” Cripps said on AFL Trade Radio on Monday morning.

The afl should actually do something abd police this crap. Akin to draft tampering

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bit of gamesmanship from Port trying to fire a shot across the bow, them hoping clubs balk at picking up the SA talent before their pick #6. For them ideally they want to not have to trade up on draft day to be a chance, costs them less if one of them falls through to #6.

They replayed a bit of that on SEN this arvo....said something will have to be done because it's a fact that it happens and the interstate clubs (mainly GWS and GC) have to be protected.......also said the person who said it should get a rap on the knuckles too.

They replayed a bit of that on SEN this arvo....said something will have to be done because it's a fact that it happens and the interstate clubs (mainly GWS and GC) have to be protected.......also said the person who said it should get a rap on the knuckles too.

Goes without saying that they’d naturally go after them but to openly threaten to do it in a public forum - horrid look. Lack of respect.

Yep, 8 years too long for anyone IMO.

Buddy has seen out 5 years of his original 9 year deal, he turns 32 early next year.

Hogan is only 23. He’d be 32 at the end of the deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hogan is only 23. He’d be 32 at the end of the deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd still be very hesitant to offer 8 years, 5 max, maybe at an absolute stretch 6 years.

I'd love him at the Lions though, A grade KPFs are a lot harder to find than A grade midfielders, I'd prefer to go the extra dollars upfront than the extra years.

Hipwood + Hogan would be delicious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back