Opinion North Melbourne Priority Picks Part 2 - 2023/2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Had to be smarter like, say your mob in 2005. Threw away a lead against north and Lo and behold got an extra pick for falling under the required amount of wins. Very smart pies. Played in two recent g.f’s, have one shocking year, use the rules to their advantage, hello Pendlebury hello Daisy Thomas. Very smart pies.
carlton did it, their assistant coach has come out and said it, or words to that effect. Melbourne did it. Clubs that are no chance send their players in for surgery and “ play the kids”;
Don’t be naive adam.
Clubs do it. I think the AFL probably had a word.

We aren’t talking about a priority pick though, we’re talking about having pick 1 instead of pick 2. Harley Reid looks great. But he and McKercher have played 5 games.

Any club would be a fool to a tank after the Melbourne dealings.
I agree, still doesn’t mean they all aren’t tempted to do it. Malthouse at his cunning street smart best when the pies did it. A priority pick for a team who played in the ‘02 and ‘03 g.f’s !?!? And were back in contention a few years later ? Smart . That last round game v north is as suspect as they come. Tanking at its finest, enough to make carlton (Or carltank as they were known at the time) blush. Win a meaningless r24 game v Gold Coast and lose a generational talent ? Dumb.

There is some serious misinformation out in the media and in this thread about both what North received and what we used those picks on. To clarify:

Over two years the total assistance was four picks in the twenties and one in the forties as well as two extra rookie spots for two years.

There were heaps of pick swaps and upgrades, but the picks were basically used on trades for Griffin Logue, Darcy Tucker, Dylan Stephens, Zac Fisher and drafting Will Dawson.

There is some serious misinformation out in the media and in this thread about both what North received and what we used those picks on. To clarify:

Over two years the total assistance was four picks in the twenties and one in the forties as well as two extra rookie spots for two years.

There were heaps of pick swaps and upgrades, but the picks were basically used on trades for Griffin Logue, Darcy Tucker, Dylan Stephens, Zac Fisher and drafting Will Dawson.
Maybe the recruitment team should be replaced.

North are 3 and 0 in the VFL and that has to mean something is going ok at the club and the list is coming along.

Yep this is a positive. A few years ago there VFL team was getting smashed at the same time there AFL team was copping beatings.

Now at least the depth is improving.

They were already planning to beg again this year, it is part of the reason they didn't try to keep McKay or Goldstein despite having stuff all talls. Will get even more desperate given Zurhaar had made it clear he had enough of the clubs desire to lose.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sorry but how can North ask for more picks for this year when the AFL already gave them two 2024 draft picks and they decided to trade them.

North have already recieved their 2024 draft assistance package.

Suppose they could get future picks in 2025. And they should be forced to trade them for some established tall defenders since they pushed their best tall defender out the door to land Duursma, a mid / half forward.

They really have drafted an unbalanced list. Injuries to tall defenders cant be helped but more picks for 18 year olds isnt the answer.

I agree, still doesn’t mean they all aren’t tempted to do it. Malthouse at his cunning street smart best when the pies did it. A priority pick for a team who played in the ‘02 and ‘03 g.f’s !?!? And were back in contention a few years later ? Smart . That last round game v north is as suspect as they come. Tanking at its finest, enough to make carlton (Or carltank as they were known at the time) blush. Win a meaningless r24 game v Gold Coast and lose a generational talent ? Dumb.
All it takes is one whistleblower and jobs are lost and the club is cooked beyond repair. Melbourne got away with it and it was a warning to all, yet they still lost a lot of money and jobs were lost.

You’d have to be beyond stupid to intentionally lose a game of footy in 2023 and on.

Sorry but how can North ask for more picks for this year when the AFL already gave them two 2024 draft picks and they decided to trade them.

North have already recieved their 2024 draft assistance package.

Suppose they could get future picks in 2025. And they should be forced to trade them for some established tall defenders since they pushed their best tall defender out the door to land Duursma, a mid / half forward.

They really have drafted an unbalanced list. Injuries to tall defenders cant be helped but more picks for 18 year olds isnt the answer.

I don't think anyone is asking for more picks.

I have no idea why we would need to trade for an experienced key defender, we probably need a second key forward more.

You’d have to be beyond stupid to intentionally lose a game of footy in 2023 and on.
Agreed, ( for the second time I’m agreeing with you)still won’t stop some looking at it With father/son rules, academies, Tasmania on the horizon, you get a chance to grab a generational talent like Harley Reid who is not father/son, not attached to an academy and then you go down to Hobart in a dead rubber of all dead rubbers against a half hearted Gold Coast, who ironically enough are producing gold out of their own academy. Just a dumb meaningless win which cost them plenty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

pshh you were able to take 5 kids in the first round. 3 end of 1st round picks and picks generated to get logue is plenty.

Didn't they walk out on the club?
They were replaced, as per the comment I was responding to.

And yes, they walked out, but a part of the criticism was that we didn't make any real attempt to stop them - one podcaster, in particular, was apoplectic that Glenn Luff went and David Noble stayed. Noble was gone within weeks, which I think is a win-win.

That area needed a cleanout, though, I don't think anyone misses them, tbh.

pshh you were able to take 5 kids in the first round. 3 end of 1st round picks and picks generated to get logue is plenty.
I'm not complaining about the assistance, it was more than I expected. I'm just clarifying what the assistance was as it seems to be being exaggerated by some.
As for the five kids we took in the first round last year, only one was through assistance. Another was a minor upgrade of our early second to a late first. The other two extra picks were for trading out players or letting them go for FA compo.

They were replaced, as per the comment I was responding to.

And yes, they walked out, but a part of the criticism was that we didn't make any real attempt to stop them - one podcaster, in particular, was apoplectic that Glenn Luff went and David Noble stayed. Noble was gone within weeks, which I think is a win-win.

That area needed a cleanout, though, I don't think anyone misses them, tbh.

They walked out in the sense that they came to know they were likely gone and had a shitfit and left.

They jumped before they were pushed.

Rawlings and Clayton can wind up this year and go too.

After that we will have basically refreshed the entire FD within the last 3 years. Coaches, recruiting and development.

I'm not complaining about the assistance, it was more than I expected. I'm just clarifying what the assistance was as it seems to be being exaggerated by some.
As for the five kids we took in the first round last year, only one was through assistance. Another was a minor upgrade of our early second to a late first. The other two extra picks were for trading out players or letting them go for FA compo.
you’re right
i forgot about the JHF trade my bad

People need to stop inferring the McKay compensation was a priority pick.

It wasn't.
It wasn't but it was indirectly. The AFL not including the CBA increases in the magic formula meant that McKay, Gresham & Doedee were all 1st round compensation even though none were actually worth that.

Losing the likes of Tarryn Thomas and JHF would set any rebuild back. Chuck them in the middle now and we’d be going a whole lot better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back