Opinion North Melbourne Priority Picks Part 2 - 2023/2024

Remove this Banner Ad

It wasn't but it was indirectly.
No it wasn't. Essendon paid a fortune for McKay. Even with the CBA stuff it still would have been Band 1.

Did anyone expect any better from north this year? They have had a brutal run so far this year against sides with tall forwards who expose their biggest weakness.

The lack of KPPs is a major concern though, as they take longer to come on than mids. They basically need to find a way to get some good 21-22 year old KPPs somehow. Otherwise the list will never marry up with their mids.

No it wasn't. Essendon paid a fortune for McKay. Even with the CBA stuff it still would have been Band 1.
It only appears that way because the contract is front-ended, which isn't a consideration for compo.

AFL themselves said they neglected to include the CBA increase when doling out compo, due to a 'quirk'..

Probably end of 1st round, from memory 1st round compensation is supposed to be within the top 5% of contracts, pretty much the top 2 players from each club.

Matt Flynn was the first FA and when late second was announced it was very surprising compensation. Subsequent FA's all seemed to be an overcompensated after that.

Probably end of 1st round, from memory 1st round compensation is supposed to be within the top 5% of contracts, pretty much the top 2 players from each club.

Matt Flynn was the first FA and when late second was announced it was very surprising compensation. Subsequent FA's all seemed to be an overcompensated after that.
And your judgements are based on a detailed analysis of the employment packages of each AFL-listed player, yeah?

Link me to this?
Here's a link to an article from the Age referencing it. I think the actual quote I'm referring to was from Dillon on Gettable, or something.

Making this year’s crop of free agents unique is the new collective bargaining agreement increase of 10 per cent – which became effective immediately, and was backdated for this past season – will not be factored into free agency compensation until next year, so this year’s offers line up with the previous CBA.

So effectively, clubs losing FA's appear to have been over-compensated due to the AFL putting last year's offers under the old CBA, despite those same players getting contracts under the new one.

I don't think anyone is asking for more picks.

I have no idea why we would need to trade for an experienced key defender, we probably need a second key forward more.

Um. Who is your current experienced tall defender?

The one who stands the oppositions best tall forwards?

The North defense is all fine it it? No problems or issues to fix?

Ben who? :$

1713251514873.png

Big name that guy. Someone to really build a defense around.

No surprise he's seeing a fair amount of ball, its in Norths back 50 90% of the game.
North Melbourne players living in defence appear to be feasting on cheap disposals that are junk food of little nutritional value.

Didn't know I'd riled up the Ben McKay fan club. Marry him if you love him so much

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Losing the likes of Tarryn Thomas and JHF would set any rebuild back. Chuck them in the middle now and we’d be going a whole lot better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Who's he replace? Wardlaw?

Griffin Logue will be back around the bye, I think. He'll take the best defender.

Comben, although new to defence, has shown he can take a s**t-ton of intercept marks, and is strong enough to handle the bigger forwards.

That then pushes Corr to a third defender role, which is more of his go rather than being the number 1, which is what he's been forced into.

You then have Kallan Dawson, Bigoa Nyuon and Toby Pink for depth, and Will Dawson as the first-year player developing in the VFL.
We got stung early this season because of the Logue injury and a small injury to Comben, which meant we ran with Corr, Pink and K Dawson for a couple of weeks - but that was never meant to be permanent.

Fast-forward a couple of years and Logue, Comben and W Dawson is a pretty handy set of KPDs, all of whom are already on the list.

Here's a link to an article from the Age referencing it. I think the actual quote I'm referring to was from Dillon on Gettable, or something.

So effectively, clubs losing FA's appear to have been over-compensated due to the AFL putting last year's offers under the old CBA, despite those same players getting contracts under the new one.
Yeah, it is a weird system. The same thing happened when the last agreement came through in 2017 and Steven Motlop surprisingly got Geelong Band 2 compo. At the time of awarding the compo, the AFL don't have future contracts to compare to so they use the current ones (before the CBA increase). Adelaide and St Kilda were lucky that they had free agents leave this year and got overcompensated. By most accounts, McKay's contract was so big that North would have got Band 1 regardless. Though pick 3 for Ben was a massive incentive for the club to ship him off.

Fantasy points are great for dream team, but key defenders are usually employed to stop their opponents. How many scoring shots did Joe have on Combden that day? Was it eight or nine?

Not sure if he got Cameron last week as well?

He’s got a bit of work to do as a stopper.
Comben had 4 1v1s vs Brisbane and lost one of them. He also had 13 intercept possessions and five tackles.

Blaming goals on the key defence is pretty naive, imo.

Comben had 4 1v1s vs Brisbane and lost one of them. He also had 13 intercept possessions and five tackles.

Blaming goals on the key defence is pretty naive, imo.
Ahh then I spose be beat Joe that day who only kicked 5.4. Did he also contain Cameron last weekend? Forget how many goals he kicked, just focus on the 1v1s he won.

Ahh then I spose be beat Joe that day who only kicked 5.4. Did he also contain Cameron last weekend? Forget how many goals he kicked, just focus on the 1v1s he won.
No, you're right. A guy in his first two AFL games as a defender, playing in one of the worst teams in history, should totally have beaten two guys who have kicked almost a thousand goals between them. My bad.

No, you're right. A guy in his first two AFL games as a defender, playing in one of the worst teams in history, should totally have beaten two guys who have kicked almost a thousand goals between them. My bad.
Comben was surprisingly good down there and looked quite natural.

Personally, thought he'd pair up with Larkey up forward but if he can hold down a KPD spot down back, once Logue returns things suddenly look a hell of a lot better.

Pink or Corr could then potentially play the third tall intercepting role they'd be far better at and McDonald can be booted from the team.

That just leaves another tall forward to pair with Larkey, as CCJ is pretty pox.

Doesn't matter who is playing as key defenders right now for us when you turn it over like we do with zero transition defence from our mids.

Another spoon is likely to trigger another recovery package of picks. Not sure how much it'll help the club though.

Well it was very well planned then to trade out the 2024 priority picks provided last year.

Instead of already holding a bevy of picks this year and looking fine for draft selections it leaves the door open for more.

Any more assistance should be in list spaces, salary cap and the ability to prelist any ex AFL players or those who have been overlooked previously at the draft.

North can go and grab the next Ryley Bonner DFA like the Saints did to shore up their leaking defense. Draft picks and 18 year olds wont change anything for another 2 to 3 years. Go and bring in some role playing defensive mids who run both ways.

Problem is North are in a cycle of pushing out experience and throwing top rated kids in too early. Will they even play experienced role players ahead of fast tracking the gun kids?

I haven't been keeping up... Are North fans back to begging for more priority picks from the AFL already?

Club is a basket case from head to toe just like we were a few years back. Our club finally forked out money for better leadership in admin and at board level and we've seen massive improvements since.

More kids for North will just equate to more talented players leaving for greener pastures like McKay last year and Zurhaar likely this season. They'll become a feeder club like Gold Coast has been for years.

Realistically if ur someone like Paul Curtis why on earth would you want to stay there when you're starved of ball forward of centre and frequently watch your team get belted while you're stuck doing SFA in the forward line? If he goes to a decent team he could be a star with his talent.

Anyway I say all power to them. Sonja is rubbish, list team is a disgrace and some of their players are just straight up lazy $$$ chasers. Sooner the fans begin demanding more from the club as a whole the sooner things will turn. Begging for picks wont do s**t all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back