Opinion North Melbourne Priority Picks Part 2 - 2023/2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Are they worse than the expansion clubs in their first year now?
Unfortunately yes but relatively since we’ve been rebuilding for 5 years which is crazy

We are at a modern day unprecedented low and yet still never received a start of first round priority pick

I'd say the problem is we already have too many players who are state league level. I can't see how getting more of them would help at all.

Not all are possible, but some easy examples.

Ned Long - inside bull at Collingwood VFL. Ethan Phillips (now at Hawks), was a tall intercepter.

Both could have stepped in and played day 1 and made a huge difference.

North need more competent, older role players - urgently.

Absolutely but where do they get them from?
Really only other clubs discards as any player currently playing elsewhere wouldn’t be keen on moving over. Any manager worth their salt would be recommend to take less and go elsewhere so it’s discards or state league players for sometime

Again... I dont mind a 3rd WA club. Eastern half of Perth would be fine.

Would the rumored "Perth Royal Falcons" get genuine support?

Or would it need to be a new entity?

Let’s not start on the relocation or fold nonsense again.

Equally, let’s not start on the nonsense of giving them even more picks.

Extra soft cap space for recruitment and development and priority access to the best, experienced, state league footballers.
I dont mind North Melbourne getting more handouts but with certain conditions.

give them one of 2 choices.

1. hand them a pick 25-30 and make them trade in a player they need, such as a tall defender. A C-graded 195 cm depth tall defender could be the difference in getting them an extra win or 2.

2. Give them a Carlton type assistance of 2018 in which Some how got a McGovern type traded. Or at least give them an extra pick in the pre season draft or a free player before the next season starts.

Would the rumored "Perth Royal Falcons" get genuine support?

Or would it need to be a new entity?
Could work either way.

A combined west perth, east Perth and Perth side could work.

It wont eat into the Dockers fan base as most of fremantles fans are below the swan river.

A new entity could work.

But be personally a Perth side that Embraces the eastern half of WA could work. West Perth belongs to West coast eagles. Let this Eastern Perth side get support from the WAFL teams in the Eastern half of Perth: East Perth, Perth demons, swan Districts and Subiaco.

Not all are possible, but some easy examples.

Ned Long - inside bull at Collingwood VFL. Ethan Phillips (now at Hawks), was a tall intercepter.

Both could have stepped in and played day 1 and made a huge difference.

We got Toby Pink, CHB in the SANFL team of the year, and he barely fired a shot. And yet he was still better than VFL KPF Tyler Sellers. Kallan Dawson was a VFL defender who has played fewer than ten games, and Hamish Free was a WAFL ruck who can't even cut it in the VFL, let alone AFL.

State league players are in state leagues because that's just how good they are. Very, very few of these guys make the step up.

That's not the answer, it really isn't.

We got Toby Pink, CHB in the SANFL team of the year, and he barely fired a shot. And yet he was still better than VFL KPF Tyler Sellers. Kallan Dawson was a VFL defender who has played fewer than ten games, and Hamish Free was a WAFL ruck who can't even cut it in the VFL, let alone AFL.

State league players are in state leagues because that's just how good they are. Very, very few of these guys make the step up.

That's not the answer, it really isn't.

What is then?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately yes but relatively since we’ve been rebuilding for 5 years which is crazy

We are at a modern day unprecedented low and yet still never received a start of first round priority pick
Looking back at it, I am curious if north could of done better in the 2019, 2020 and 2021 drafts. Not so much about their 1st rounders but 2nd rounders and later picks and rookie picks.

I don't think North got it wrong with 1st rounders getting Tom Powell and Jason Horne Francis.

Griffin Logue would improve North Melbourne when fully fit.

But North Melbourne needed to draft a good talk defender or 2 back in 2020 and 2021.

Those 2 tall defenders they could of got in 2020 would be 22 or 23 year Olds in 2024.

Amazing that Nick Larkey was a pick in the 70s in 2016. I wished they had nailed a tall defender that year too

Griffin Logue would improve North Melbourne when fully fit.

But North Melbourne needed to draft a good talk defender or 2 back in 2020 and 2021.

Those 2 tall defenders they could of got in 2020 would be 22 or 23 year Olds in 2024.

As pointed out the hit rate for talls taken after the 1st round is dreadful, only player they over looked in those years outside of mcdoanld of course is henry now at the cats.

i'd agrue picking to many raw players has slowed the rebuild, spicer,edwards, hansen, harvey,archer, george, com,

Welfare gets you no where in life.

The real problem is no gun players want to come to the club. No matter how much money we throw at them, they say no.

Really should have relocated. Can't be competitive for talent in Melbourne anymore.

Knee injury aside, Logue was looking like the best thing they did in recent times with a player trade.

It goes to show you are better off giving 1 man, 900k a year a team wants to keep and convincing them to make the switch also then you are 2 left footed VFL wingers, 4 year 500k each who the current sides have little interest in keeping

Welfare gets you no where in life.

The real problem is no gun players want to come to the club. No matter how much money we throw at them, they say no.

Really should have relocated. Can't be competitive for talent in Melbourne anymore.
A realist. Have always been the smallest fish in the biggest pond and couldn't change that even during their golden era. Buckets of money were thrown at players, all of who wisely said no thanks, and that will be the same going forward.

Better players are probably planning their escapes with their managers as I write. Reckon McKercher isn't looking forward to 2027?

Should have looked at what Sydney had become and realised the Gold Coast was a chance to change this eternal smallest fish situation but it was not taken so here we are - for eternity, 19th club in importance to the AFL, there will be no more draft picks, already gifted picks 19 & 20 in this draft.

Pay Luke Parker a lot of money to come in, offer a 2nd rounder for Dylan Grimes, tigers desperately need picks and north need leaders who know how to win.

Pay Luke Parker a lot of money to come in, offer a 2nd rounder for Dylan Grimes, tigers desperately need picks and north need leaders who know how to win.
Grimes is a free agent and ooc.

I'd definitely pay handsomely for both, though

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back