Opinion North Melbourne Priority Picks Part 2 - 2023/2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Poor recruiting, coaching and list management over the past decade have proved that doesn’t work for North.

“Give us more high draft picks” is the equivalent of tipping in more good money in after bad.

What happens if you get gifted more picks and they also end up failing?
Doesn't necessarily have to be draft picks. I'd be rapt if we could somehow wangle a high-quality player from another club, rather than cast-offs. Get me a multiple B & F winner in Luke Parker, for instance, ahead of a VFL player.

Also, it doesn't have to be "gifting picks", bearing in mind that only two of the five first-rounders last year were anything to do with priority picks - the rest were from the JHF deal and losing a high-quality CHB who is being paid $1.2 million this year. Picks get traded like confetti these days, so some astute dealing (which, again, is something we've been reasonable at lately - it's the contract offers that have sucked) could get us up the draft order with our second and third pick.

But as for tipping in more good money after bad in drafting, actually we've been vastly better at drafting than trading. Our B & F was won by a first-year player last year, and the rest of the top ten went: pick 73, pick 49, pick 4, pick 9, pick 8, pick 21, rookie draft, SSP, pick 12. So that's six first-round selections, and only one brought in from another club.

The best of the mature recruits was Liam Shiels in 9th. The others were Howe (33rd), Tucker (24th) and Logue (17th).
And even Logue was only 12th when injured. FWIW, Tucker was one place behind George Wardlaw, despite playing 18 games to Wardlaw's 8.

As for the "what if they fail?" argument. Well, yeah, not every draft pick works, that's part of the deal. But I thnk we could gett a long way by redefining what success is. Everyone is shitting on Will Phillips for not being a star, but if he becomes one of those solid role players who plays 150 solid games, I think that's a win for us. Luke McDonald cops a lot of flak because he's no world-beater, but if you'd said on draft night ten years ago that the guy chosen at pick 8 goes on to play 200 games, win a B & F and captain the club, you'd take that in a heartbeat.

Will Riley Hardeman be an All-Australian? Probably not. Will Zane Duursma kick 50 goals in a year? Maybe. But the more elite players we have in the door, the better chance we'll have of getting out of this mess.

Doesn't necessarily have to be draft picks. I'd be rapt if we could somehow wangle a high-quality player from another club, rather than cast-offs. Get me a multiple B & F winner in Luke Parker, for instance, ahead of a VFL player.

Also, it doesn't have to be "gifting picks", bearing in mind that only two of the five first-rounders last year were anything to do with priority picks - the rest were from the JHF deal and losing a high-quality CHB who is being paid $1.2 million this year. Picks get traded like confetti these days, so some astute dealing (which, again, is something we've been reasonable at lately - it's the contract offers that have sucked) could get us up the draft order with our second and third pick.

But as for tipping in more good money after bad in drafting, actually we've been vastly better at drafting than trading. Our B & F was won by a first-year player last year, and the rest of the top ten went: pick 73, pick 49, pick 4, pick 9, pick 8, pick 21, rookie draft, SSP, pick 12. So that's six first-round selections, and only one brought in from another club.

The best of the mature recruits was Liam Shiels in 9th. The others were Howe (33rd), Tucker (24th) and Logue (17th).
And even Logue was only 12th when injured. FWIW, Tucker was one place behind George Wardlaw, despite playing 18 games to Wardlaw's 8.

As for the "what if they fail?" argument. Well, yeah, not every draft pick works, that's part of the deal. But I thnk we could gett a long way by redefining what success is. Everyone is shitting on Will Phillips for not being a star, but if he becomes one of those solid role players who plays 150 solid games, I think that's a win for us. Luke McDonald cops a lot of flak because he's no world-beater, but if you'd said on draft night ten years ago that the guy chosen at pick 8 goes on to play 200 games, win a B & F and captain the club, you'd take that in a heartbeat.

Will Riley Hardeman be an All-Australian? Probably not. Will Zane Duursma kick 50 goals in a year? Maybe. But the more elite players we have in the door, the better chance we'll have of getting out of this mess.

I hear what you’re saying. I think we agree, finding good players who can play a role is the key.

I’d love to see a Luke Parker there. Ditto a play then coach deal for a Pendlebury. But short of forcing the players there, I’m not sure what the best option is.

What is then?

Nothing. They keep going through the motions until they finally get a few things right.

They’ve had enough of late.

The Swans went how long between flags?

The Saints have how many flags in 120 years?

Let the club run themselves and leave alone.

They’ll come good eventually. (I mean, they’re not St Kilda so they should come good)

Just wanted to call out all the "not enough talent" in the industry comments when it's the opposite that is true.
Industry has a ton of talent but are wasting so much of it in various ways.

Stop and think about how many times a player has had a 'breakout game'... only because they were given the opportunity due to injury of a teammate. I think about all the players who never got to reach their potential or ceiling bc they were made to play 2nd or 3rd position or most of their career. A teammate or two is out and bang they have a breakout game.

Essendon was a classic case study: players who got a chance and actually proved how good they were only because their team mates were banned. Think about all the elite talent we now force into a monotonous 'role player' mode bc that's the game plan. Or in North's case, due to poor development once they enter AFL and past coaching.

There is no shortage of talent, but there is a ton of waste.

Nothing. They keep going through the motions until they finally get a few things right.

They’ll come good eventually. (I mean, they’re not St Kilda so they should come good)

North and many other clubs would have folded long ago if they were left to themselves.

freo went through a 6 year period of no finals from 2016-21. But I get your point.

Unfortunately yes but relatively since we’ve been rebuilding for 5 years which is crazy

We are at a modern day unprecedented low and yet still never received a start of first round priority pick

I will say it before and will say it again.

Norths list isnt terrible.

Forward line looks semi decent with Larkey and Cam Zuhar there.

Midfield has got the likes of Sheezel and Tom Powell.

Back 6 is letting North Melbourne down. 3 or 4 of that back 6 is not available due to injuries.

North should of got a couple of 195-200 cm defenders back in 2020 draft or 2021 draft. That 18 or 19 year old key defender in 2020 draft would be 22 or 23 years old in 2024 with 30-60 games under the belt.

North should of got 1 or 2 188-192 cm type medium defenders back in 2020 and 2021 drafts as well. The tom dodee types that can play Centre half back or as 3rd talls on the back flanks or back pockets.

North have a couple of those and both are injured. one is a 192 cm Griffen Logue. The other is 190 cm Josh Goater who is out with an injury too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Football boss Todd Viney confirmed on RSN radio on Tuesday morning the Kangaroos will not request a priority draft pick this year.

That should have read 'any more priority picks this year'

North reading the room and realising after being gifted picks 19 & 20 in this years draft that there will be no more handouts from the AFL. Obviously asked in private and were told to .....

Right, so why quote me?
Because you were criticising North Melbourne for not asking for a priority pick. Others have criticised North for asking for priority picks in previous years (and assuming there would be a request this year).

Just shows that North Melbourne will be criticised on the priority pick question, no matter what we do (or don't do).

Didn't think it would be that hard to work out, tbh.

Negligence. They should absolutely be asking the question.

The AFL should say no, but North Melbourne should be making them get to that point.

I think it’s pretty clear the AFL has told them no behind closed doors

I think it’s pretty clear the AFL has told them no behind closed doors
From your guess of what’s going on it’s clear what’s going on behind closed doors? Elite dribble.

I’d say it’s just as likely the club understands the assistance given included picks in 2024 already.

From your guess of what’s going on it’s clear what’s going on behind closed doors? Elite dribble.

I’d say it’s just as likely the club understands the assistance given included picks in 2024 already.

True the only thing we know is that north are currently in a death spiral as the least relevant commercial entity in a saturated market. Let’s see how it plays out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back