Obscure Tennis Players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Had an incredibly abusive father that would literally beat her up between matches. She effectively abandoned him for just under a year and was coached by Mouratoglou (who is now with Serena) and went on an incredible clay-court run where she rose from obscurity to being third favourite for the French-open in a matter of weeks. She then had a poor grass court season and went back to her father and fell off the radar again (apart from turning up to matches bruised and beaten). Her story is a pretty sad one but common among coach-fathers, though not to this extent often.

I was reading about her story yesterday, very sad. Poor girl, it reminded me of Dokic.

Laura Robson, Australian English who partnered Murray at Hopman Cup, unfortunately she has had a string of injuries.

Rebecca Marino, Canadian female tennis player, retired in 2013, mainly due to depression for cyber bullying.

Canas has a tennis academy in Florida with a couple of his friends. I wonder if he was doing some commentary for a South American network.

Brydan Klein who at one stage won the Australian Juniors but he had a couple of suspensions, one which was to do with racist comments. He grew up in the Rockingham area in WA.

Klein hits the Launceston Indoor Sports Arena (it might not be called this anymore but I lol there is a professional tournament there) this week as the 5th seed. Not sure why you'd bother still playing at his age/rank, he can't be making any money from it.

Melanie Oudin. One Slam wonder. has had heart problems, which has prevented her from getting good consistent tennis in. in saying that, when she can play, she has shown nothing of the form which took her to the quarters in the US Open in her first attempt.

Can I add Marcelo Rios here? What a talented player but a strange character.
He was the rudest piece of crap I've ever met. Used to play in Sydney quite often, and he remains the only player I've ever heard tell a fan to get f..ked to their face, all because they asked politely for an autograph after he'd finished training.

He was the rudest piece of crap I've ever met. Used to play in Sydney quite often, and he remains the only player I've ever heard tell a fan to get f..ked to their face, all because they asked politely for an autograph after he'd finished training.

Doesn't surprise me, I'd heard he wasn't a very nice player on tour.. Very odd person

on Patty Schnyder, good news, she is on the comeback trial after retiring in 2011. she was a wack job. i thought she did a Hingis and failed a drugs test, but i havent been able to find any news about it. must have only been a rumor. good article below about her.

http://www.oregonlive.com/the-spin-of-the-ball/index.ssf/2015/07/fans_of_tennis_and_weirdness_r.html

At the time I remember hearing she got caught up with some crazy coach and then she disappeared from tennis

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Canas has a tennis academy in Florida with a couple of his friends. I wonder if he was doing some commentary for a South American network.

Canas was over here coaching Gabashvili. Not sure if he was coaching anyone else though.

Klein hits the Launceston Indoor Sports Arena (it might not be called this anymore but I lol there is a professional tournament there) this week as the 5th seed. Not sure why you'd bother still playing at his age/rank, he can't be making any money from it.

Not too sure what the situation is with Klein. I would guess the LTA still provides a fair bit of financial support so that might allow him to continue playing but I don't know why the LTA would fund that muppet. It's an interesting question for a lot of players though. There was an good article on Millman when he was on the comeback trail in 2014. I can't find it but in it he spoke about how close he came to giving it all away so he could go study and get a career that would actually leave him better off financially. Then one of his mates told him how lucky he was that he got to travel the world as a tennis player and enjoy all the experiences that come with it. Although he is worse off financially, the things he has experienced as a tennis player more than make up for that. Ironically now it looks like he should actually make a bit of money off the sport as well barring a major injury.

What's happened to Barty's comeback?

Only just made the Doubles Final of the Canberra Claycourt International #1

http://www.itftennis.com/procircuit/players/player/profile.aspx?playerid=100114005

24o6ba1.jpg

She has played a few tournaments in the last couple of years in between injuries and then retired late last year I believe.

A bit soon I'd've thought but you said injuries and sounds like there's been plenty so fair enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back