Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don't have any issue with the umpires and understand that in the current set up they cannot see everything and will make the odd mistake.
This is my solution to improve umpiring, and note that this is to assuage the constant whinging from interstate teams like the Swans:
There is a group of 3 off-field umpires with access to instant replays voting on incidents as they happen... so give the 2 on-field umpires the ability to makes decisions but the off-field group can overrule when ever they see fit based on their ability to see instant slow mo replays... they sit there with a 'free kick' and an 'Incorrect Decision' button and if they hit it the majority rules... If the game has been allowed to play on they can call the ball back and if there has been an incorrect free paid then it goes to a ball up. If the ball is brought back the clock is also rewound to when the free kick occurred.
That means we go back to 2 umpires on-field but have 3 off-field (voting umpires) - 5 umpires all up.
Thoughts?

Last edited:
This is my solution to improve umpiring:
There is a group of 3 off-field umpires with access to instant replays voting on incidents as they happen... so give the 2 on-field umpires the ability to makes decisions but the off-field group can overrule when ever they see fit based on their ability to see instant slow mo replays... they sit there with a 'free kick' and an 'Incorrect Decision' button and if they hit it the majority rules... If the game has been allowed to play on they can call the ball back and if there has been an incorrect free paid then it goes to a ball up. If the ball is brought back the clock is also rewound to when the free kick occurred.
That means we go back to 2 umpires on-field but have 3 off-field (voting umpires) - 5 umpires all up.
Thoughts?
I like it. As long as the 3 off-field umpires are televised live sitting in big chairs with 2 oversized buttons to slam down onto, one for guilty and one for not guilty (elaborate and flambouyant button slamming courses to be undertaken by participants). They could be seated in the dark and as their decision is revealed a spotlight shines down upon them or illuminates them in some spectacular way. LED lighting should be used because we care about the planet.

I like it. As long as the 3 off-field umpires are televised live sitting in big chairs with 2 oversized buttons to slam down onto, one for guilty and one for not guilty (elaborate and flambouyant button slamming courses to be undertaken by participants). They could be seated in the dark and as their decision is revealed a spotlight shines down upon them or illuminates them in some spectacular way. LED lighting should be used because we care about the planet.

They should all be bald, with a facial scars and be stroking fluffy white cats.
As they hit the button there should be a maniacal laugh.

They should all be bald, with a facial scars and be stroking fluffy white cats.
As they hit the button there should be a maniacal laugh.
Sold.

There is merit in the idea of an instant off-field judicial panel despite the endless cheap entertainment options that could accompany it.

I would add that a Coaches challenge should be allowed. One or two per quarter. It works well in NRL with the Captains challenge where it is referred to the bunker.

I would add that a Coaches challenge should be allowed. One or two per quarter. It works well in NRL with the Captains challenge where it is referred to the bunker.
Is this where the fans are allowed to vote down a coaching move or order a move the coach won't make?
Can they also vote the coach out for the rest of the game at half time?

We've finally hit the bottom! Reality Football!

Is this where the fans are allowed to vote down a coaching move or order a move the coach won't make?

It just has to be a thing. You know it. I know it. We all know it. Acceptance is the path down which we must travel.

Rollerball! Coach is allowed to ride an armoured motorcycle through the centre square, all exits are blocked until the offender is mortally wounded.

There should be a third button labelled ‘Eject’ or ‘Fireball’ or something of that nature. Work out the finer details later but the threat of it alone would see viewing figures shoot through the roof.

It should be hosted by the one and only Caesar Flickerman

the hunger games GIF

I want these people calling

Jason Bateman Cotton GIF

Colour commentators

elizabeth banks underwear GIF by Pitch Perfect

On ground interviewer

1716549024490.png

Medical comments expert

hugh laurie bonus points GIF

Are we the worst club when it comes to whinging about umpires?
Sydney seem bad, but our whinging about them seems worse than their whinging.
Every thread currently seems to have umpire or Beveridge tears.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Herpa derp. Get of the glass bbq mate.

you're f##kling joking aren't you??
Jesus christ I hope you are... no one is whinging about umpires in here at all.
The media have jumped on it...
The Swans are the masters of whinging and will never be forgiven for their performance in the wake of the 2016 Grand Final.

Now that would be funny.
I can see the 3 umpires starting an all-in brawl and suddenly everyone is watching the umpires smashing laptops over each other.

I'd add to this the goal review should be by captains challenge only, too much time wasted reviewing when it could all just be when player requests a review. Save a heap of time and make the goal umpires actually make a decision again.

No more review umpires or clowns sitting in the bunker making decisions. Too many umpires already, all with different tolerance to back chat, how long the ball is being held and how much prior opportunity the player been given all leading to a wide array of calls. Until they simplify the judgement rules, or reduce the umpires on the field to reduce the interpretations, this is always going to be a problem.

I blame the media for creating this mess in the first place. Take the goal review - the media constantly talking about it only makes the problem worse. Channel 7 highlighted every 50/50 goal decision for the last 10 years, AFL bring in a goal review to fix the problem (sort of, the technology seems about 30 years old and looks like it uses a 1999 webcam) and now commentary team talks non stop about the delay in the game because every decision is reviewed.

For a billion dollar industry it really is amateur hour with TV and AFL head office.

you're f##kling joking aren't you??
Jesus christ I hope you are... no one is whinging about umpires in here at all.
The media have jumped on it...
The Swans are the masters of whinging and will never be forgiven for their performance in the wake of the 2016 Grand Final.
Lol...who cares what they say about 2016.

Instead of removing any on-field umpires, why don't we just have a system to remove supporters who whinge incessantly about them? Sure it would make a Swans home crowd reminiscent of the covid games and main board gameday threads on Bigfooty will run 1-2 pages at most, but nothing of value will be lost.

The game is officiated by a team of umpires, consisting of four field umpires, four boundary umpires, and two goal umpires, bringing the total to 10.

Then count the goal review.

I'd say there's more than enough, too much if anything...

Back