BigFooty Official Official BigFooty Phantom Draft - 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Order

1. Adelaide - Elijah Hollands
2. North Melbourne - Riley Thilthorpe
3. Western Bulldogs - Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (matched bid)
4. Sydney - Logan McDonald
5. Hawthorn - Denver Grainger-Barras
6. Gold Coast - Will Phillips
7. Sydney - Braeden Campbell (matched bid)
8. Essendon - Archie Perkins
9. Essendon - Nikolas Cox
10. Essendon - Nathan O'Driscoll
11. Port Adelaide - Lachie Jones (matched bid)
12. Adelaide - Finlay Macrae
13. GWS - Tanner Bruhn
14. North Melbourne - Zac Reid
15. Fremantle - Heath Chapman
16. Collingwood - Reef McInnes (matched bid)
17. GWS - Oliver Henry
18. GWS - Jack Carroll
19. Collingwood - Eddie Ford
20. Richmond - Brayden Cook
21. Melbourne - Zavier Maher
22. Melbourne - Blake Coleman (unmatched bid)
23. GWS - Errol Gulden (unmatched bid)
24. St Kilda - Sam Berry

25. Adelaide - Caleb Poulter
26. Adelaide - Tom Powell
27. Hawthorn - Jackson Callow
28. Brisbane - Max Heath
29. Gold Coast - Alex Davies (pre-listed selection)
30. Melbourne - Fraser Rosman
31. Fremantle - Brandon Walker (matched bid)
32. GWS - Tom Highmore
33. North Melbourne - Joel Western (unmatched bid)
34. Carlton - Bailey Laurie
35. Richmond - Jack Ginnivan
36. Carlton - Brodie Lake
37. North Melbourne - Oliver Davis
38. Adelaide - Kaine Baldwin

39. Essendon - Liam McMahon
40. Hawthorn - Luke Edwards
41. Hawthorn - Zane Trew
42. Sydney - Shannon Neale
43. Hawthorn - Connor Downie
44. Western Bulldogs - Isiah Winder
45. Geelong - Kalin Lane
46. Brisbane - Jake Bowey
47. Western Bulldogs - Corey Durdin
48. Fremantle - Liam Kolar
49. Fremantle - Finn Gorringe
50. Brisbane - Conor Stone
51. Port Adelaide - Zac Dumesny
52. Richmond - Josh Treacy

53. West Coast - Luke Pedlar
54. Richmond - Maurice Rioli Jnr (matched bid)
55. St Kilda - Jackson Cardillo
56. Essendon - Cody Brand (matched bid)
57. Collingwood - Tariek Newchurch
58. St Kilda - Max Pescud
59. Collingwood - Ollie Lord
60. Sydney - James Borlase
61. Collingwood - Ryan Angwin
62. North Melbourne - Malachy Carruthers
63. Port Adelaide - Phoenix Spicer
64. Gold Coast - Joel Jeffrey (pre-listed selection)
65. Carlton - Charlie Lazzaro
66. West Coast - Max Holmes
67. Geelong - Cam Fleeton

Preseason Draft

1. Adelaide - Jackson Hately

Rookie Draft

1. Adelaide - Henry Smith
2. North Melbourne - Seamus Mitchell
3. Sydney - Dominic Bedendo
4. Hawthorn - Jackson Ramsay
5. Gold Coast - Rhys Nicholls
6. Essendon - Josh Eyre
7. Fremantle - Hugh Dixon
8. Carlton - Riley Holder
9. GWS - Nick Stevens
10. Melbourne - Callum Park
11. Western Bulldogs - Ewan MacPherson
12. West Coast - Jack Avery
13. Collingwood - Taj Schofield
14. St Kilda - Connor Ballenden
15. Brisbane - Carter Michael
16. Port Adelaide - Matthew Allison
17. Geelong - Patrick Walker
18. Richmond - Campbell Edwardes

Last edited:
Picks 21 & 22: Melbourne – Zavier Maher & Blake Coleman (bid not matched)
I won't lie, I struggled with these picks. Most of the ones I wanted are gone...

#21 Melbourne - Zavier Maher (185cm, 82kg from Vic Country)

I like the versatility that Maher offers as a bigger bodied midfielder. He can play inside, and has the type of power you'd expect for his size. He also pushes forward, and his speed is elite in this draft class. Maybe he could even develop off a wing in the long term. He actually compares pretty well with Tom Sparrow as a player.

#22 Melbourne bids on Blake Coleman (181cm, 79kg from the Brisbane Academy)

Right at the top of his range for me, there are about 3 players I considered bidding on. But I'm going with Coleman here for the speed and goal sense, need a partner for Kozzie Pickett in the other pocket. briztoon to make a decision

Pick 16: Collingwood – Reef McInnes (bid matched)
REEF MCINNES PROFILE

POSITION:
Inside Midfielder

DRAFT ANALYSIS: “McInnes is a strong inside midfielder with great athletic capabilities and tied to Collingwood through the Next-Generation Academy.”

Reef McInnes is a big-bodied inside midfielder who is tied to Collingwood through the Next Generation Academy and one that Pies fans have been talking about for 12 months. Whilst he will naturally progress through to become that inside midfielder – he has all the traits to do so – McInnes spent the majority of his bottom-age year as either a marking forward or rebounding defender, showing off his versatility. It is no surprise he could slot into just about any role and is one that is tipped to cost the Pies a top 30 pick.

STRENGTHS:

• Contested work
  • Clean hands
  • Strength
  • Marking
  • Versatility
  • Acceleration
IMPROVEMENTS:

• Consistency
  • Kicking
McInnes has quite a number of impressive traits that standout when on the field. For starters, his strength and power on the inside is a big plus for his role in the future, particularly when he already has the size at 192cm and 84kg in the preseason. Many might cite his 36.2 per cent contested ball-winning rate as not reflective of an inside midfielder and they would be right. McInnes predominantly played outside, usually forward or even in defence for the finals series last year, as the likes of Matt Rowell, Noah Anderson and Will Phillips took the prime inside roles at Oakleigh Chargers. Make no mistake, McInnes would have teamed up with Phillips on-ball this season and made a pretty damaging duo – when they did not have school football commitments – and by not playing in 2020 the Pies might be able to get him for value.

His hands on the inside are as clean as they come, averaging 89.5 per cent efficiency and often he is quick-thinking with his ability to win the ball in close and pick the right exit with a teammate running on the outside. He has a long handball projection which can be placed just perfectly for teammates to run onto, preferring to keep his teammates on the move rather than handballing to stationary targets. When it comes to his kicking, it could improve. He is not a ball butcher as such, but it is inconsistent in the sense that he has the penetration by foot, but sometimes the execution can be off. It is an area that is not too great of a concern for the future, but it will be something the Magpies look at building – along with his consistency – if and when he lands there.

Aside from the on-field strengths, McInnes also has some great athletic prowess for a bigger bodied player. His agility and speed in particular is very impressive, and whilst he did not test in the 2020 preseason due to injury, he clocked a mid-boggling 2.78-second 20m sprint at the AFL Draft Combine. Whilst his agility test was not great at 8.68 seconds, it was not indicative of what he can do on the field, with his evasion and power able to work his way through congestion. Overall, he has that nice blend of athleticism and strength that make him tough to contain on the inside, and then add his versatility to be thrown just about anywhere on the ground and he has a lot going for him.

Pick 19: Collingwood – Eddie Ford
EDDIE FORD PROFILE

POSITION:
Medium Forward/Midfielder

DRAFT ANALYSIS: “Ford is a highlight-reel forward who in time will look to progress into the midfield once he builds his tank and increases his endurance.”

Eddie Ford is a high-flying forward with plenty of upside and one who caught the attention of onlookers on more than one occasion. Quite often it involved flying for huge marks, including a number of them while trialling for Vic Metro, but Ford is also able to hit the scoreboard and hurt opposition teams regularly. While he would have liked to progress into the midfield this season, the Western Jets product has to settle with what he has achieved as a bottom-age forward.

STRENGTHS:

• Clean hands
  • Vertical leap
  • X-factor
  • Goal sense
  • Impact-per-possession
  • Upside
IMPROVEMENTS:

• Midfield development
  • Endurance
  • Consistency
Ford was unlucky not to make the final Vic Metro team as a bottom-ager, coming close after a solid outing – including one unforgettable hanger – in the trial matches. Growing up to 188cm by the preseason, Ford now is a genuine tall-medium forward and one who has the capacity to move into the midfield with time. Looking at his pure numbers, Ford kicked seven goals in 16 games which might not seem like a lot, but it is his work he does up the ground, where he would roam up to a wing, spend minutes in the midfield, then drift forward and make things happen inside 50.

As a midfielder, Ford showed some signs, but not enough just yet to suggest he could be a full-time midfielder, which is what his top-age year would have been used for. Unfortunately a delayed preseason impacted him some more and he would have been that forward-cum-midfielder to start the season, and then the season never got going. While needing to build his tank further in order to compete for longer periods of time, there is still plenty to like about what Ford offered in glimpses. His clean hands and goal sense for one, helped out by his vertical leap which allowed him to sit on opponents’ shoulders.

He has a lot of the pieces to complete a really promising player in the future. At AFL level, you would expect Ford to play forward in the early seasons before progressing into a midfielder down the track. As it stands, Ford has a high impact-per-possession and he loves a good goal or towering mark, knowing exactly what his athletic traits allow him to do. If he can build that endurance base and work his way into the midfield, then he has all the tools of being that exciting mid-forward who can impact in both areas of the ground.

Pick 17 - GWS Giants

Oliver Henry
Geelong Falcons
General Utility
188 cm 77kg

View attachment 1018283

Lets make a trend of Geelong Falcons boys only hey. Henry is one of the more exciting prospects of the draft, thanks largely to his athleticism, but also due to the versatility he has, having played both as a defender and forward in his time in the 'spotlight' and showing a lot of promise either end, it's a win/win selection for a club like GWS who have a need for the role he plays up either end.

Down in the backline I see him playing a similar role to James Sicily, as an undersized intercept player with his read of the ball in flight and marking. It's a role we currently have Nick Haynes playing, the key differences between the two being Height and disposal skill, which I favour Henry in, which would allow for Haynes to extend his career playing as a standard 1 on 1 defender when he starts to lose a bit of speed and leap.

In the forward line, I'd say Connor Rozee is a fair comparison for Oliver, as an athletic medium that can play as a target or crumber, again using his athleticism and in particular his leap to outmark opponents.

There's also a chance he could make it as a midfielder, having shown great skills and decision making up either end there's scope to push him up if necessary. From a GWS POV I'd hope to develop him as a defender, that's where I've liked him most up until this point, and foot skill in particular is a particular area of weakness for us

View attachment 1018284

Pie 4 Life up now, no match required
You're a brave man picking 3 Falcons with the retention factor in mind.

You're a brave man picking 3 Falcons with the retention in mind.
Picking Vic Country boys from the same team worked for Brisbane, I'm just tryna emulate success

I won't lie, I struggled with these picks. Most of the ones I wanted are gone...

#21 Melbourne - Zavier Maher (185cm, 82kg from Vic Country)

I like the versatility that Maher offers as a bigger bodied midfielder. He can play inside, and has the type of power you'd expect for his size. He also pushes forward, and his speed is elite in this draft class. Maybe he could even develop off a wing in the long term. He actually compares pretty well with Tom Sparrow as a player.

#22 Melbourne bids on Blake Coleman (181cm, 79kg from the Brisbane Academy)

Right at the top of his range for me, there are about 3 players I considered bidding on. But I'm going with Coleman here for the speed and goal sense, need a partner for Kozzie Pickett in the other pocket. briztoon to make a decision
Er, we traded these picks to you, what happened to ;);).

In the real thing, I would expect Brisbane to trade out our early second round pick for a future second round pick, and match with later picks/points.

And then try and trade back in at the Gold Coast pick.

I suspect Brisbane has a player they rate higher than Coleman at this pick, and so do I.

Brisbane pass.

Pick 23: GWS GIANTS – Errol Gulden (bid not matched)
Pick 23 - GWS Giants

Errol Gulden
UNSW Bulldogs/ Sydney Swans Academy
Small Utility
175 cm 75 kg

errol gulden.jpg
Absolutely stoked to get a NSW local at the club, and one that has a lot of promise. While the big question mark over Errol remains whether he can adapt to playing largely as a Small Forward at the next level I have very little doubt that he can be that and more. Again, a big theme of my selections so far have been two things: versatility and impact, Errol is another that has both of these down pact, often taking some of the more daring options and having them pay off, it's an asset to any team and something we see less and less of with each new crop coming through. Errol backs his footy IQ and read of the game to win ball, or be in the right spot for a handball out of the contest when he's already moving at speed, that sort of attack and instinct is something that will benefit any team the more of it you have.

Ideally, Errol eventually fits in to our Best 22 playing some midfield and forward, rotating with Brent Daniels through both roles as they have similar traits

I don't really have much more, I think a bid should have come sooner and I'm stoked to be taking a player like this in this spot

and of course he looks good in orange

errol gulden 1.PNG

Last edited:
Going on a theory Cats can't buy them all at once! Didn't want to pay for Jezza at all - just stuck him under their jumper and tried to walk out without paying.
Jezza was Ballarat Rebel the same as Jarrod Berry, Hugh McCluggage and Cedric Cox all of whom Brisbane took in the same draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 20: Richmond – Brayden Cook
PICK 20 - RICHMOND FOOTBALL CLUB

Brayden Cook
SA
189 cms
82 kgs

FWD / WING

HIGHLIGHTED TESTING RESULTS:
SA Draft Combine:
Running Vertical Leap (R/L) – 72cm/74cm
Agility – 8.45 seconds
Endurance (2km) – 6 minutes, 48 seconds

STRENGTHS: AREAS TO IMPROVE:
Versatility Inside game
Athleticism One v One strength
Goal sense Finishing consistency
In game smarts
Decision making
Elusiveness
Marking
Match winner
Leading Patterns

Brayden has had a rapid rise up the ranks this year, mainly due to being able to play while others could not, but his own game and game style improved out of site, reflecting said rise.
Each year there is a bolter or two and Cook, this year, is one i really like at this pick for Richmond.
His upside looks to be big, and his AFL style traits are there for all to see.

His attacking drive when in possession, with the ability to move through traffic is a sight to see.
The modern day height for a midfielder will entice clubs to see if he can translate his outside game to an inside one also.

He can win his own ball, and although the stats do not show it, his tackling, whilst it could improve in numbers, is ferocious. He has the ability to win a game off his own boot, and whilst he has kicked a few behinds as well, its his attack on the goal face that is a pleasure to watch.

He wants and wills his own team to win the game and it is infectious among team mates.
Away from goals, his nous to find space and use good leading patterns is eye-catching as is his burst from a pack when with or without possession.

Without possession he uses his game smarts and ability to read the play to not only spread well into space but create space for team mates and link up in a chain of play from the back line to the forward line, proving his ability to play the wings quite well.

His hands in marking contests are fantastic for a player of his position, averaging around 7 marks a game, and coupled with his ability to hit the scoreboard, (averaging 2 goals per game) his forward ability shines through.

He has had a big growth spurt this year not only in height but he has put on the weight as well so is more ready to get to work than some others in his position who may need a few years to bulk up a bit. I don't think his growth has finished yet either, leaving him to be a pick that i think fits this position for Richmond. He is a Richmond style player and an enticing prospect that i could not leave on the board for anyone else.

Luckily enough Richmond have many positions covered and are going well as a team putting them in a position to grab Brayden here (if only in this draft) as an exciting prospect for the future, and have one of the biggest improvers of the year who not only has grown his game but also his body, with a high ceiling and talent to boot.

Maher another great pick was hoping he'd last till my next pick!

It was a weird spot in the draft to be picking. The top 20 basically went as expected, so there was nobody who really slipped through to my pick. But I do think Maher is a bit underrated, should fit right into that 20-25 mix.

Brisbane pass.

Didn't think you'd match the Coleman bid.

While it might be the top of his range, I think he's a talent and a good fit for Melbourne. Might be one of those players that benefits from having actually played this season, and he was particularly impressive in his last few matches - something that will no doubt appeal to clubs. There were a few other small forwards I considered like Gulden and Laurie, but Coleman looks a natural forward and I can't go past the speed and athleticism.

Pick 24: St Kilda – Sam Berry
#24 - St Kilda - Sam Berry
Best position: Inside midfield
Height, weight: 180cm, 82kg
Recruited from: Gippsland Power
Projected draft range: 20-40
Plays like: Dylan Shiel
December ranking: 15
Rationale: Exciting midfielder with an enviable combination of ball winning, clean skills and speed. Winning over 50% of the ball in contested situations, his probability of an AFL career is high. Berry’s position on draft board rises on review of 2019 performance and how consistently influential he was.
Strengths:
Contested ball winning, first possession winner at stoppages, tackling, aggression, kick placement out in front of targets to lead onto, dual sided kick, composure with ball in hand, distribution by hand, acceleration with ball in hand out of stoppages, line-breaking run, speed, endurance, works hard both ways, strong mark, versatility to play midfield, defence or forward
Weaknesses:
Outside accumulation, running patterns outside the contest

*Other consideration: Tom Powell

Why: Saints need midfield quality and Berry brings the ball winning, speed and skill. A best available and coincidentally the in my view optimal list fit of those I'd consider here. Berry played with and learnt from Caleb Serong and Sam Flanders last year and is almost as good as they both were respectively a year out from getting drafted.
Powell I considered carefully and he's the higher volume accumulator, but ultimately I feel Berry has more tools at his disposal and is the more damaging and influential player and the better list fit with what I still find a concerning slow and vanilla midfield.

Last edited:
Er, we traded these picks to you, what happened to ;);).

In the real thing, I would expect Brisbane to trade out our early second round pick for a future second round pick, and match with later picks/points.

And then try and trade back in at the Gold Coast pick.

I suspect Brisbane has a player they rate higher than Coleman at this pick, and so do I.

Brisbane pass.
What aboutZane Trew?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back