Official Chelsea FC Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is up with our form?

I think justice was served with the penalty miss anyway. Why doesn't Anelka take penalties anymore? I would have thought he, Ramires and Mereiles would have been more appropriate.

Was it Anelka who missed the final penalty in the CL Final? Or was he the one who converted the penalty immediately after Terry's miss?

Anelka missed as he tried to do a cute chip. He could of won it with that kick which is why I blame him for the CL loss and have never forgiven him. He missed another pen a couple of weeks back IIRC as well as missing in the FA cup shootout loss to Everton last year. He's scored once in the past 30 games for us. Would like to see Lukaku get some games into him and sturridge deserves a place with Torres.

Anelka imo, is just down in confidence for the time being. The decision to give Luiz the penalty has been influenced by his confidence level. Like all strikers, Anelka needs goals to raise his confidence levels.

I for one am not worried by his lack of goals. Just needs a few goals back into him. That will start on the training pitch.

What an awful starting line-up last night.
Torres > Drogba
Sturridge > Malouda
Meireles > Mikel

Starting to have serious doubts whether AVB is the man for the job. Why he chose Obi over Raul against his old club is beyond me and it ended up costing us. By starting Torres it would of shown that he has great faith in him and had he scored so much pressure would be off, but now he is back in the headlines for not being in the first XI.

Last night showed how much we are missing a creative mid. Our build up play is so slow and easy to defend and that is down to the oldies like lampard. Mata, Torres, Sturridge should always be our attack and they rely on quick balls to catch the opposition out of position.

No longer should the oldies start like Drogba, Anelka, Malouda they should be used off the bench at best. If AVB wants to make this his own team he should do this as atm it looks likes he's trying to be everyone's friend and start playing our kids like Lukaku and Macrachen more often.

Back to normal last night. Only saw the 2nd half, but we were a tad wasteful. I still feel all our defenders look likely to lose the ball at any moment under the tiniest bit of pressure.

Well done to Chelsea Melbourne for winning the supporters clubs pub comp yesterday. Unfortunately only one other supporters club (Everton) turned up, whereas 5 or 6 have in the past. Shame on all you plastics out there.

Feeling a lot better after that win. Sturridge starting to prove that he has the talent to be a world class striker and I have no doubt he will. Terry put all the controversy behind him to begin the scoring. Mata, well, what is there to say? This guy has it all. Couldn't ask much more of him tbh. No doubt will be a monstrous player for us for years to come.

Gotta love the AVB theatrics too. Highlight of my night.

Romeu looked more solid in 90 minutes than Mikel has all season.

Also thought Drogba was awful last night. Couldn't hit a pass and offered nothing around goal. Surely Torres will start in the next match. I thought he was good when he came on. Won a few corners and looked like he was hungry.

Hey guys, been on for years, never really post much and have never ventured onto the chelsea page. But I've finally made my way here.

Just thought I'd post a few thoughts of mine as to who should stay and who should go.

Mikel has to go! I can not believe this guy has been our starting defensive mid for so long! Essien (if he ever regains fitness/form) is best in the position for mine. Romeu looks good the couple of times he has played this year, but yet to do it against A-class opposition. I think Mikel has the skill, but he is the laziest footballer I have ever seen. Lazy passes, lazy/slow in possession and backs it all up with slow movement and lazy tackles. A Liability! I would like to see a combination of Romeu or Meireles there. Or if we get a new CB in Jan I would love to see Luiz tried there. He has the skills. Can defend, and we won't get hurt so bad if he goes on a run or gets found out of position.

Also, I think it is time to cut some old/dead wood and recoup some cash while we still can (even if the amounts are minimal). I know if you let all these go it leaves us threadbare and creates disharmony, but the likes of Anelka, Malouda, Drogba (it pains me to say), Kalou, Alex, Ferreira, and Mikel are all under-performing and past their best. I know some of these names still have time left in their careers, but they all do not look up to it.

I think it Jan we need to buy a new CB and possibly a new RB (as much as I love Ivanovic there, if we keep playing him there he will quit - he hates it).

In big games I think we need to take on a 4-2-3-1 formation much like a Rreal or Barca.

I would love to see:

Cech
Bosingwa/van der Wiel(!)-Ivanovic/Cahill(!)-Terry-Cole
Luiz-Meireles
Sturridge-Lampard-Mata
Torres

For the games against the smaller clubs I would love to see some younger faces. Maybe a 4-1-2-1-2 diamond with defensive mid, 2 wingers and a CAM.

Cech
Chalobah-Luiz-Terry-Bertrand
Romeu
Ramirez-Lampard/Mata
Lampard/Mata
Lukaku-Sturridge

I think Lukaku needs to play against the weaker clubs. Leaving him on the bench with minimal playing time with the reserves is goign to kill his career. Also, Betrand deserves some game time! I know Ashley is a legend and all, but Bertrand is now early 20's and we risk losing him for nothing if we keep ignoring him! He has played excellent when called upon in my view.

Anyway, just a slight venting there. Bring on the scousers in the crappy cup.

Mikel on the ball isn't the worst out there. It's just when he doesn't have it he's virtually anonymous. Doesn't work hard enough and Romeu should be starting in his place now (that is, when Mikel would normally be given the gig - Romeu is; not a permanent starter yet).

I really hope we beat Liverpool tonight. They've had the wood on us in recent times and it's about time we get one back on them. If Torres doesn't start I'll be shocked tbh - and I think he could be the tonic for us to stick it right up his former side.

The XI I think AVB will go with: (really have no idea to be frank. Carling Cup...anyone could be given a start)

Cech
Bosingwa - Ivanovic - Luiz - Bertrand
McEachran - Romeu - Lampard
Anelka - Torres - Kalou​

Lukaku will come on at some point I'd imagine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It may only be the carling (mickey mouse) cup but that still hurts. Remember when we were unbeatable at the bridge?

How much longer can this go on. I'm not for sackings but there has to be a point of damage limitation.

That was very hard to watch. Just when we started to generate some forward movement, from nowhere that little **** Bellamy gets into acres of space and puts Rodriguez in. Then 5 mins later another goal...and that's all it took.

We get enough of the ball but just can not use it. What did Lampard contribute today? Alex? Bosingwa?

Lukaku? I'm sorry but I just don't see how he's worth 18mil. Yes he's young, strong and powerful blah blah..heard it all before. His touch is ordinary and he has no pace. He's going to take years to become a good player in England - if he does.

Torres was quiet in the first half but I thought he was one of our best in the second tbh. Was unlucky not to score from a header...took a brilliant save from Reina to keep it out. But he's still not the Torres we saw at Liverpool...and never will be so long as we keep playing 4-3-3. The team has to be set up around him in order for him to play his best Football. Unfortunately it just won't happen with this current formation :(

January could not come any quicker.

Lampard is so, so slow. It's painful to watch him on the ball anywhere other than around the box. He's a clinical finisher and good from set plays, though.

Malouda is awful. I don't think he hit one pass today. Bosingwa is average too. His crossing and passing are terrible.

On the other hand, Bertrand looks like he'll be great and Romeu looks solid.

Lukaku is very slow and his touch isn't great. He's only young and playing him on a wing doesn't help. I know he needs game time, but it would have been better to play him off the bench in the second half.

Agreed.

I'd love to see AVB bring back the diamond formation. Get Torres and Drogba on the same pitch...might as well. Nothing could be worse than what we're producing atm.

Cech
Ivanovic - Luiz - Terry - Cole
Romeu
Ramires------Mata
Lampard
Torres - Drogba

Essien when he's back would replace Romeu. Drogba isn't going to be here much longer so that spot will eventually belong to Sturridge.

I see no harm in trying it. Fk this current crap off.

Sturridge would be first picked in any of my teams (maybe after Mata). Scored more goals than Drogba and Torres combined this season and always looks damaging, even though he is playing out of position.

Great game, very happy with the 3 points. Sturridge was brilliant and could of had a hat-trick if it wasn't for Krul. Mata was awesome also and thought Romeu played decent. Apart from the goal Drogba didn't do much and thought Torres created a fair bit when he came on.

Main thing I noticed was that we played a lot better when Meireles came on for Lampard.

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant all round performance. Great defence and great offence. Have to admit, Luiz got me a bit edgy a few times though.

We were on top the whole time, could have scored a lot more if it wasn't for Krul. Sturridge and Mata have just about cemented their spot on the wing which I am overjoyed at. Romeu seems to be improving every game and looks to be Essiens successor in holding midfield. Happy with his performance. Drogba was slow but was able to pop up when we needed it the most.

One thing I am concerned about though is Mata looks our only creative player and if he gets injured or suspended what do we then? He can't do it all on his own. Ramires has shown he can do it but he needs to do it consistently to be considered a threat. Lampard imo, seems to have lost his creative touch.

Alex and Anelka on their way out. That means Lukaku into the CL squad hopefully.

Good performance last night. Drogba also looks on his way out after rejecting a contract extension. Not overly concerned to be honest as he was quite anonymous last night despite scoring. I think we need to move on and look towards the future, you have no idea how much it hurts to write that. I think Merieles was a great purchase and Frank needs to be more of a bit part player in the AVB system. It can work and did last night and it goes to show that we may not need that many purchases right now, just time.

Not sure if Roman would agree with this but I'd be prepared for a trophyless season and use this to learn the AVB system and blood the kids in order for a full assault into the future.

Alex and Anelka on their way out. That means Lukaku into the CL squad hopefully.

Good performance last night. Drogba also looks on his way out after rejecting a contract extension. Not overly concerned to be honest as he was quite anonymous last night despite scoring. I think we need to move on and look towards the future, you have no idea how much it hurts to write that. I think Merieles was a great purchase and Frank needs to be more of a bit part player in the AVB system. It can work and did last night and it goes to show that we may not need that many purchases right now, just time.

Not sure if Roman would agree with this but I'd be prepared for a trophyless season and use this to learn the AVB system and blood the kids in order for a full assault into the future.

I would accept a trophyless season, but only if we beat Valencia and make it through to the CL knockout stages and then go on to finish top 4 EPL. Otherwise this season could be costly. As we approach the Financial Fair Play rules it would be suicidal for a team with our transfer fees and wages to miss out on champions league cash, or the extra cash that comes with progressing through to the knockout stages.

As for the game at the weekend I was quite happy with it. We created plenty. Realistically the game could well have ended up 3-11! Luiz's first half was horrible, but I don't think he got any credit for how he came out in the second half. Was a lot better after the break and made some good tackles/interceptions. It annoys me how the media keep going on about how he should have got a red, when they all fail to mention that Ba was offside anyway! Should have been called offside (but wasn't) and then the contact would have been a non-event.

Still think we need a CB in January, plus a striker. We will lose Anelka in Jan, plus Drogba and Kalou (who I can't stand) to African Nations. Torres looked good in the game on the weekend, but still didn't look right. Just didn't have that killer touch, and the old Torres would have taken it on and scored in the lead up to the Kalou goal.

Luiz was okay. Him and terry never seem to be on the same page with the offside line, one is always deeper than the other. Wouldn't mind ivanovich moving back to CB and luiz taking his place at RB.

Need a creative centre-mid more than anything atm. Missing out on Modric was a big loss.

If we don't make the next stage of CL some serious shit will go down!

Luiz was okay. Him and terry never seem to be on the same page with the offside line, one is always deeper than the other. Wouldn't mind ivanovich moving back to CB and luiz taking his place at RB.

Need a creative centre-mid more than anything atm. Missing out on Modric was a big loss.

If we don't make the next stage of CL some serious shit will go down!

I agree with this. Would allow Luiz the license he seems to crave to attack, plus would get Ivanovic back to his preferred CB. Iva has threatened on many occasions over the last couple of years that if he is continually played at RB he will quit. Hates it apparently. Deserves big applause for being a big, robust CB yet puts in superb crosses in when he gets down the wing as a RB. Still think he is more beneficial to us as a CB.

I agree with this. Would allow Luiz the license he seems to crave to attack, plus would get Ivanovic back to his preferred CB. Iva has threatened on many occasions over the last couple of years that if he is continually played at RB he will quit. Hates it apparently. Deserves big applause for being a big, robust CB yet puts in superb crosses in when he gets down the wing as a RB. Still think he is more beneficial to us as a CB.

Terry-Ivanovic would easily be the best central defensive pairing we could put on the pitch. Really need to buy a top-quality RB because although Ivan may not like playing at right-back, he's the best option we have.

Really worried about City attacking our right side next week seeing as Luiz picked up his 5th yellow and it looks like Bosingwa is the only viable inclusion. Guess we have to worry about getting past Valencia first though:eek:.

Give Torres a run in the team now. Drogs and Kalou are going to AFCON next month and Anelka is leaving, so it presents the perfect opportunity for Torres to at least get some consistent time on the pitch, and create an understanding with Mata and Danny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back