Mega Thread Oh yeah ... did you know there are 17 other teams? - General AFL discussion #9 - Blues posters only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But you go on to say HARKER that what if he got caught, again and again and again.

HE hasn't, it's once.

That's not the example I put forward at all. Read it again.

Sometimes you have to learn from others. It's a smart thing to learn from others' mistakes.
How has this 'one-off' taught him something he didn't know full well, beforehand. How?

Talia snubbed his nose at the club, ran the gauntlet like a hero and got caught, but now he has learned?
He didn't beforehand but now it's different?............and now we have to hear............"I am so sorry" No you're not......you're just sorry you got caught.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-19/gach-nyuon-expected-to-be-charged-with-threats-to-kill
ESSENDON rookie Gach Nyuon has been interviewed by police and is expected to be charged for a number of offences including "making threats to kill".

The 19-year-old, first-year ruckman was initially detained by police after an argument with an Uber driver in the early hours of Sunday morning.
He was arrested for being drunk and disorderly in a public place and released later that morning.

That's not the example I put forward at all. Read it again.

Sometimes you have to learn from others. It's a smart thing to learn from others' mistakes.
How has this 'one-off' taught him something he didn't know full well, beforehand. How?

Talia snubbed his nose at the club, ran the gauntlet like a hero and got caught, but now he has learned.
He didn't beforehand but now it's different?............and now we have to hear............"I am so sorry" No you're not......you're just sorry you got caught.

Now you can mind read? There's some emotive nonsense in this post.

At this point he's made one mistake and yes , that's to get caught breaking the law.

What about Charlie Curnow? He obviously falls into this slot as well.

At this point he's made one mistake and yes , that's to get caught breaking the law.

If you care to find it, have a read what I said about Charlie.
He was a fool for doing what he did and his mates are even bigger fools for not stopping him.

He apparently took his P-plates off before driving drunk, so it wasn't just a little error of judgement.
He took the risk and lost out although he could have lost out in much worse circumstances.

Not sure what you're getting at, to be honest. What are you getting at?
Are you suggesting that it was just a bit of bad luck for Talia?

If you care to find it, have a read what I said about Charlie.
He was a fool for doing what he did and his mates are even bigger fools for not stopping him.

He apparently took his P-plates off before driving drunk, so it wasn't just a little error of judgement.
He took the risk and lost out although he could have lost out in much worse circumstances.

Not sure what you're getting at, to be honest. What are you getting at?
Are you suggesting that it was just a bit of bad luck for Talia?

No.

I'm saying it's an error of judgement. You're saying it's more than that, your saying it's a flaw in his character "Talia snubbed his nose at the club, ran the gauntlet like a hero and got caught" and go further to suggest you know his apology isn't genuine, when you know no such thing ."and now we have to hear............"I am so sorry" No you're not......you're just sorry you got caught"

To me, he's been doing something he probably shouldn't, got caught and is now suffering the consequences.

If he get's done again, I'll decide then what I think.

No.

I'm saying it's an error of judgement. You're saying it's more than that, your saying it's a flaw in his character "Talia snubbed his nose at the club, ran the gauntlet like a hero and got caught" and go further to suggest you know his apology isn't genuine, when you know no such thing ."and now we have to hear............"I am so sorry" No you're not......you're just sorry you got caught"

To me, he's been doing something he probably shouldn't, got caught and is now suffering the consequences.

If he get's done again, I'll decide then what I think.

An error of judgment, you say.

He is just an unlucky sort of guy, isn't he? The Dogs sack him for doing what he shouldn't have been doing........he gets done for drugs when common sense may have taken you down a more pragmatic path......but it's just bad luck.

I wonder whether Sydney FC will be as accomodating for his bad luck. They have every right not to be, haven't they?

Still can't believe Ablett didn't have that troublesome shoulder strapped after everything he has been through.. Just doesn't make sense!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yep.
If you want a quick acting, relatively safe and largely undetectable drug, coke is the business.

The ignorance among a lot of society about drug use and the perceived lack of either moral fibre or general intelligence of the people who use them is laughable.

How many chances did Ben Cousins get ?

We indulged his party boy/rock star ways at West Coast because he was a great player and very charismatic, but in reality, the league and Eagles footy club really do enough to curb Cousin's self-destructive behaviour, to the point now where everyone fears something tragic will happen to Ben with the current path he's travelling.

I've read many quotes from drug and alcohol experts stating the AFL's illicit drug policy isn't working to its stated intent.

Maybe i am a bit naive on the subject, but i am firmly of the belief that probably only severe punishments can suffice as sufficient deterrents. Hope Talia can get his life back on track at any rate..

An error of judgment, you say.

He is just an unlucky sort of guy, isn't he? The Dogs sack him for doing what he shouldn't have been doing........he gets done for drugs when common sense may have taken you down a more pragmatic path......but it's just bad luck.

I wonder whether Sydney FC will be as accomodating for his bad luck. They have every right not to be, haven't they?

Facts:
Traded by Dogs.
AFL Investigation: No case to answer.

So, despite trying to drag in everything he "might" have done, you're left with a minor drug possession.

What the Swans do is up to them, it's their club. Let's hope they treat this on it's merits and not carry on like ignorant gossiping old biddies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Facts:
Traded by Dogs.
AFL Investigation: No case to answer.
So, despite trying to drag in everything he "might" have done, you're left with a minor drug possession.
What the Swans do is up to them, it's their club. Let's hope they treat this on it's merits and not carry on like ignorant gossiping old biddies.

Why did they trade him? Nothing to do with a matter of trust? :)

Sydney believe Michael Talia is "a good young man" and are comfortable with their decision to trade for the defender despite him being at the centre of an ongoing investigation by the AFL's integrity unit.
The Swans acquired Talia in final hour of the trade period, picking up the out of contract tall from the Western Bulldogs in exchange for pick 69, and a fourth-round pick in the 2016 draft.

So Sydney put their faith in him and he just goes and makes another little error. I wouldn't be happy, but.......

Anyway and back on point, he knew what he was doing and the risk he was taking. He did know, you know......and if he didn't? What does that say.

It would be refreshing to hear someone actually say that they're not sorry as they were fully aware of the risk they were taking.
Imagine that? A little bit of honesty.........Maybe we're not quite grown up enough for that yet.

How many chances did Ben Cousins get ?

We indulged his party boy/rock star ways at West Coast because he was a great player and very charismatic, but in reality, the league and Eagles footy club really do enough to curb Cousin's self-destructive behaviour, to the point now where everyone fears something tragic will happen to Ben with the current path he's travelling.

I've read many quotes from drug and alcohol experts stating the AFL's illicit drug policy isn't working to its stated intent.

Maybe i am a bit naive on the subject, but i am firmly of the belief that probably only severe punishments can suffice as sufficient deterrents. Hope Talia can get his life back on track at any rate..

Unless you know more than is being reported you should probably just look at it as his first offence and not draw the conclusion that his life is off the rails.

Maybe i am a bit naive on the subject, but i am firmly of the belief that probably only severe punishments can suffice as sufficient deterrents.
That's what the law is for. A small amount of cocaine will be dealt with accordingly.

I can't see why a footballer should be subject to any more than that. Social drugs are not PEDs. They are a social problem, and society has laws in place to deal with them in what is adjudged an appropriate manner.

Why did they trade him? Nothing to do with a matter of trust? :)

So Sydney put their faith in him and he just goes and makes another little error. I wouldn't be happy, but.......

Anyway and back on point, he knew what he was doing and the risk he was taking. He did know, you know......and if he didn't? What does that say.

It would be refreshing to hear someone actually say that they're not sorry as they were fully aware of the risk they were taking.
Imagine that? A little bit of honesty.........Maybe we're not quite grown up enough for that yet.

.....so he wasn't sacked he was traded and had no case to answer from the AFL.

Further, it appears the Swans didnt have an issue with the ALLEGATION.
There's is nothing to suggest the drug arrest forms a pattern of behaviour that might indicate he will have ongoing problems.

Just like Charlie it should be seen by us (a group largely ignorant of any detail apart from what's in the MSM) as nothing more than an isolated indiscretion.

If he does something else stupid there might be a case but at this point he's just another person.

scarface.jpg

First you get traded
Then you get the powder
Then you get arrested

Last edited:
.....so he wasn't sacked he was traded and had no case to answer from the AFL.

Further, it appears the Swans didnt have an issue with the ALLEGATION.
There's is nothing to suggest this forms a pattern of behaviour that might indicate he will have ongoing problems.

Just like Charlie it should be seen by us (a group largely ignorant of any detail apart from what's in the MSM) as nothing more than an isolated indiscretion.

You may be right. Who knows?.....but.....The Swans didn't have an issue but now they may well have.

It could have well been the first time Charlie ever drove drunk. It could have been.
It could have also been the first time Talia chose to run the gauntlet and do himself a little coke with no fear of getting caught. It's possible.
It may have been the first time Gach ever threatened to kill someone. It happens.....................does it?

The point is that all these guys and many more knew full well the terms of their contract.
They have been educated on many fronts and I know young people do silly things but players in the AFL system do have a huge leg-up compared to most others in society.
The fact they 'chose' to do what they did (maybe once, twice, who knows how many times?) and got caught doesn't represent them nor the club in a good light. They knew better but chose to do things their way............but they're sorry.

Hey passmark I don't really wish anyone any ill at all, but I hope to see the day where people are actually honest.

If Talia came out and declared what really happened and left the sorry's out of the story, I'd respect him so much more.
Everyone would respect him if he sold the bigger story and not made it just about a young mans error of judgement.

The cliches have worn thin to me. Honesty wins every day of the week/month/year........and in the meantime...thanks for the chat.

Harks, I reckon the statement is the same one every club and player manager has stored as a template on their computer.

But yes, I understand the frustration many feel with these guys who , at first glance, appear to have won life's lottery but still risk it doing dumb as * things.

I just reckon they get judged harshly, far more than you or I.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back