Omens for Grand Finalists 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Not particularly relevant to this thread but I haven't shared this on Bigfooty before.

2016 Elimination Final, I spent pre-game listening to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. I'm not a huge Pink Floyd fan but I felt like listening to them for whatever reason. Dogs win.

Skip ahead to the semi-final. Driving to the game, had the radio, what comes on? Time by Pink Floyd. Dogs win.

Preliminary final, drove up to Sydney. Had my Spotify shuffling randomly through my few thousand songs. Get to Sydney. What comes on? Time by Pink Floyd. Dogs win.

Grand Final. I don't hear Time all week. Comes to the day, I'm nervous. Still haven't heard it. I'm in my seat pre-game, no Time. The omen is gone. 1 minute to go before the bounce. What's that I hear? They ******* play the bells intro of Time by Pink Floyd right before the bounce. Dogs win.

I haven't listened to Time since

Love That !!

Geelong win Flag, Richmond win spoon. In Rnd6 Geelong explode against Richmond and dealt them their record club loss and highest score conceded.
Chris Scott retires against Geelong in final round, assistant at Freo come 2008
Hardwick then an assistant at Hawthorn and shortlisted but unsuccessful for the end-season vacancies at Melbourne & Essendon
Ablett played against both Hardwick and Scott in the 2004 finals series. Him & Selwood were also there in Scott's last game.

2007 Draft relevant picks:
#2 Cotchin
#8 Henderson (BL)
#10 Dangerfield (ADL)
#17 Harry Taylor
#18 Alex Rance
#22 Scott Selwood (WCE)
#34 Dawson Simpson
#42 Jack Steven (STK)

Chris Scott v Hardwick
2001 GF: Scott (1st club flag)
2004 GF: Hardwick (1st club flag)

Chris Scott started 13-0 as head coach with a debut flag. First loss to Essendon.
Hardwick started 0-9 & 2nd last as head coach but won plaudits. First win against Port.
Both won flags as players for the teams they defeated in prelims. Both went 2-1 as players in GFs. Both debuted within weeks of each other in '94.

A lot of triple premiership players in the assistant coaching ranks like Leppitsch, McRae, Lappin, Scarlett, Enright, etc.

Last edited:
Geelong has played in 17 Grand Finals.

Its record in odd numbered years is Played 12 - won 8, lost 4

Its record in even numbered years is Played 5 - won 1, lost 4

Richmond’s record in its 23 Grand Finals is split more evenly.

Odd numbered years is Played 12 - won 7, lost 5

Even numbered years is Played 11 - won 5, lost 6

Geelong's only previous Grand Final in a year ending with 0 was 1930. They lost that day by 5 goals.

Richmond are more accustomed on this stage, winning the 1980 GF by 81 (their 10th), lost the 1940 GF by 39, and won the 1920 GF (their 1st) by 17.

The 100th anniversary of Richmond's first VFL flag is definitely hard to resist.

Richmond has won the flag each of the previous three occasions they have carried the same team through three consecutive finals - 1921, 1969, 2017. This is Geelong's first attempt at same.

Previous top 4 appearances over last 5 years:

Richmond beat the minor premier in the 2017, 2019 and 2020 final series. Lost in PF in 2018 as minor premier.
Geelong lost to the minor premier in 2016, 2017 and 2020 final series. Lost in PF in 2019 as minor premier.

Damien Hardwick's final 6 seasons were spent with the minor premiers (surely a record from recent decades?). As a result, his career winning percentage as player was 69.81%. 144 wins from 207 matches.

His finals Gabba record:
Player - 0-2 ('96 QF & '02 PF)
Coach - 1-1 ('19 & '20 QFs)

This will be Richmond's first Gabba final against a team other than Brisbane. In SF week Geelong won against the Pies there, whilst the Tigers beat the Saints at Carrara.

Chris Scott was 9-0 at the Gabba as a finals player. 2019 QF was the club's first loss there in a final.

The strongest stat omen:

Chris Scott is 11-0 at the Gabba in finals as player/coach. Geelong are undefeated in finals at the Gabba, whereas Richmond are 1-2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1994 - Chris Scott Rising Star
13 years
2007 - Joel Selwood Rising Star, Chris retires
13 years
2020 - 1st captain/coach Rising Star in a GF, Joel retires?

Buckley/Pendles close, don't think there are really any other examples of captain/coach RS, so still unique in general

Bruce is always right. "You get the feeling the next goal is massive, and the momentum swings"
Whoever gets the next goal surely wins

1994 - Chris Scott Rising Star
13 years
2007 - Joel Selwood Rising Star, Chris retires
13 years
2020 - 1st captain/coach Rising Star in a GF, Joel retires?

Buckley/Pendles close, don't think there are really any other examples of captain/coach RS, so still unique in general
youre coming up wiht some interesting stats but i dont feel like this one really has much to it

The real Omen is the AFL making sure the greatest game of the year is played in a monsoon.

Easily avoided but never wanted to give either Perth or Adelaide (the 'other' main two footy states) a look in as it could of been a pretty decent affair.

Playing this game in Brisbane was the stupidest idea.... but you know, they saved the season an all..... pity the last game of the year will be one major letdown.

Couldn't happen to a more self serving insular organization.

07 Geelong
09 Geelong
11 Geelong

17 Richmond
19 Richmond
21 ??????

which means Richmond lose this year but win again next year.

Harold Holt was unexpectedly trending on Twitter today. Harold Holt disappeared in 1967. The 1967 Grand Final was Richmond vs Geelong. My QAnon omen for tonight is Harold Holt will return tonight.

Not particularly relevant to this thread but I haven't shared this on Bigfooty before.

2016 Elimination Final, I spent pre-game listening to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. I'm not a huge Pink Floyd fan but I felt like listening to them for whatever reason. Dogs win.

Skip ahead to the semi-final. Driving to the game, had the radio, what comes on? Time by Pink Floyd. Dogs win.

Preliminary final, drove up to Sydney. Had my Spotify shuffling randomly through my few thousand songs. Get to Sydney. What comes on? Time by Pink Floyd. Dogs win.

Grand Final. I don't hear Time all week. Comes to the day, I'm nervous. Still haven't heard it. I'm in my seat pre-game, no Time. The omen is gone. 1 minute to go before the bounce. What's that I hear? They ******* play the bells intro of Time by Pink Floyd right before the bounce. Dogs win.

I haven't listened to Time since
Can anyone hear what's on right now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back