Science/Environment One in five USA households with children don't have enough food

Remove this Banner Ad

No they arent. There is no poverty left in australia so the left made up a completely new defination of poverty based on inequalty. its completely bogus.

Huh? foodbank australia states: One in five kids affected go to school without eating breakfast at least once a week, while one in 10 go a whole day at least once a week without eating anything at all.

I know plenty of people in Australia who are forced to skip meals.

Huh? foodbank australia states: One in five kids affected go to school without eating breakfast at least once a week, while one in 10 go a whole day at least once a week without eating anything at all.

My kid doesnt eat breakfast 4 times a week. Not eating breakfast once a week is not a sign of poverty. Hell heaps of people go on diets these days where every second day they only eat one meal a deal.

Not eating food in an entire day is A sign of poverty. Kids are not dying of mulnutrition except in extreme cases of either criminal parent or bureaucratic neglect.

I know of this a problem around my area where kids are sent to school hungry regularly (not helped by parents often prioritising booze and smokes), but this is in a pretty low socioeconomic town and it still wouldn't be anywhere near one in 6 kids.

s**t parents sadly

I’m pro increasing social welfare payments and introducing participation for the pension and dole.

That would address the $ issue and assist with the mental health issue but not the s**t parents issue.

I know of this a problem around my area where kids are sent to school hungry regularly (not helped by parents often prioritising booze and smokes), but this is in a pretty low socioeconomic town and it still wouldn't be anywhere near one in 6 kids.

In problem areas schools should provide healthy breakfasts, lunch and a dinner pack.

Kids deserve to be able to concentrate otherwise what’s the point of education for them?

Port Adelaide FC has been behind this drive and should be a focus across the nation.

In problem areas schools should provide healthy breakfasts, lunch and a dinner pack.

Kids deserve to be able to concentrate otherwise what’s the point of education for them?

Port Adelaide FC has been behind this drive and should be a focus across the nation.
The school has a breakfast club thing now where kids can get something to eat for free in the morning.

s**t parents sadly

I’m pro increasing social welfare payments and introducing participation for the pension and dole.

That would address the $ issue and assist with the mental health issue but not the s**t parents issue.
Would be interesting to see now that the kids now back at school if the temporary extra payments to welfare are making much of a difference. Should help for a lot but unfortunately some might still spend it on themselves first no matter how much they got.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The school has a breakfast club thing now where kids can get something to eat for free in the morning.

Brilliant

When I heard kids couldn’t concentrate in class because they were hungry, I was horrified and disgusted.

There are no doubt s**t parents but mental health and poverty can’t be ignored. Regardless of the reason, kids shouldn’t be left to fend for themselves and society has to intervene and providing food is a simply solution.

How can this in the capitalist, consumer USA?

Source mainstream media tv this morning

Enough food, or enough quality food? There is a massive obesity problem with less advantaged groups in the USA (rest of the advanced world too)

You think raped teens should be forced to have babies.

I don't speak for other people like you do, but I don't think the life of the child is the payment for the crime of the father.

But that isn't what we are talking about here, it takes a special kind of evil to slip the 99% of lifestyle baby killing in on the coat tails of rape victims.

I hate how dog eat dog America is but why are so many parents having children that they cannot afford to raise properly?
Definitely part of it. Access to abortion, cost of abortion, poor sex education due to Taylor types.
The poor sex education and access to contraceptives is certainly one, pushed by the right. Things like taking contraceptives out of the ACA by suing over it on the basis of religious freedom.

Then the pressure on abortions and to keep children is big in the US.

But don't underestimate the combination of poor planning and privilege over kids. People believe they have a right to have kids, and governments are very leery about ever interceding in that area (beyond abortion laws). For good reasons. But it does create a dynamic where people have kids they can't necessarily support. And often, that isn't done for nefarious reasons. People often under-estimate the costs of children, and over-estimate how they will go personally.

People think they'll stay with their partner. They don't think they'll get sick (which costs buckets in the US). They think they'll move higher up at work, or get more hours, or the local plant won't be shut down. There are many reasons why people's lives aren't as rosy as they expected when they chose to have the children.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back