Opinion Optimum number of home games at Kardinia Park

What would be your preferred split for Geelong home games?

• up to 7 home games at Simonds Stadium, most of remainder at Etihad Stadium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • up to 7 home games at Simonds Stadium, most of remainder at MCG

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

That's not why people have an issue with it though.

Tell you what, it's the best venue in the country for footy mid-season with a mid-sized crowd.

Been to a lot of games there with 45,000-50,000 where the roof has almost lifted off. At the MCG that crowd would seem very hollow.

I was determined not to like Etihad when it started. But once I went to a few games there it's actually pretty good. There are a lot of things that could have been done better, with where the ground is (and its orientation), car parking etc., but actually watching the game there is fine.

Additionally, if you happen to work in the city (which I'm sure a few of us do), there's nowhere quicker to get to a game, or onto the train afterwards.

My overall view is that it's not that bad. If the clubs get screwed financially by playing there, that's a whole separate issue.

That's not why people have an issue with it though.

Tell you what, it's the best venue in the country for footy mid-season with a mid-sized crowd.

Been to a lot of games there with 45,000-50,000 where the roof has almost lifted off. At the MCG that crowd would seem very hollow.
Disagree, I think one of the MCG's strong point is the atmosphere it creates even with sub 40,000 crowds.

Etihad for mine is okay with 45,000+, but any less and it lacks atmosphere for mine. Concrete jungle with no spirit

and we've come full circle once more...

With Menzel fuming over the injury, the Cats have re-iterated their push to have control over their home game scheduling.

“What we object to is playing our home games on our opponent’s home ground when we don’t want to,” Cats president Colin Carter said.

Geelong wants to be free from hosting games at the troubled Etihad Stadium, where it lost out on hundreds of thousands of dollars of vital revenue each match.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...r/news-story/7299b8b47b4d1e2a7dd5fdd3b426c20e

As for the OP, my answer is still 11.

I voted for all at KP. Why? Because that's our home ground, Just like Subi is for the WA teams, and AO (now) is for the SA teams. I understand the reality of home games in Melbourne (the club makes $$ from the C'wood and Hawthorn games at the MCG), and I concede that practice there (MCG) is worthwhile because that's where the season's most important game is played. But...I reckon we give up 3-5 goals by not playing at KP (and 8-11 behinds :p), which can be the difference between winning and losing, and thus playing in the finals in the first place.

I also believe the Geelong region deserves the economic boon home games provide. (I'm surprised there isn't more political pressure from this angle)

Even before Danny's injury, I was ropable that NM could 'sell' their home game to Hobart, and steal our home game back.

(from an interstater that can get to Melbourne games easier)

I like the idea of a 9/2 split KP and the MCG.

To win the flag you need to be able to win at the MCG, so screw playing at Etihad if possible, especially home games. This year our home games split is 8 at KP, 2 Etihad & 1 MCG; while our away split is 3 each at Etihad & MCG. In total that gives us 5 at Etihad and 4 at the MCG, and I think it would be better experience especially for the players if we could change that to 6 at the MCG (2 home & 4 away), and 2 or 3 at Etihad (all away) if we must play there.

I know not everyone will agree, just my preference. I also know that Etihad is easier access for those coming up on trains, or even if you work in Melb it's easy access on a Fri night, but I work in Melb CBD and loved over recent years having Friday night games at the MCG. Get something to eat around Chinatown or catch up with my brother for food & drink followed by a walk to the ground. I miss not getting that option this year.

We have a 90%+ win rate at KP in recent years and and around a 60% record elsewhere, so I'd say those extra three games at home could make all the difference.

But my preferred allotment would be 8 at KP 3 at the MCG, the grand final is played there and practice throughout the year is important.

I don't like going to KP but really with all the money the council and government have put into the stadium we should be made to play all 11 games there.

Yeah keep some at the G. You need to have practice on that ground.

The ideal solution is for us to have this:

11 home games.

7 of these at KP.

Move 4 to the MCG.

Have 4 of our away games played at KP (pref against Hawthorn and North) as 'replacement' home games.

:)
I like this idea a lot. Play our 'replacement' games against Dawks, Norf, Colliwobbles and Carltank would be nice

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong average attendance home games at Kardinia Park vs Victorian teams 2000-16 (51 matches): 22,921. Win percentage 75.49% (38 wins one draw.)
Geelong average attendance home games Kardinia Park vs non-Victorian teams 2000-16 (75 matches): 22,623. Win percentage 82.0% (61 wins one draw.)
Geelong average attendance home games at Docklands vs Victorian teams 2000-16 (37 matches): 41,594. Win percentage 81.08% (30 wins.)
Geelong average attendance home games* at the MCG vs Victorian teams 2000-16 (20 matches): 60,601. Win percentage 65.0% (13 wins.)

* not including finals.

9-2 for me.
The GFC cannot ignore it's melbourne fan base in regards to home games, so 2 a year at mcg is perfect.
The other 9 are at KP.
I'd rather make the drive to KP a few times a year and have the uv pocket the $$$ than still have to get to Etihad and have the club lose $$.

We get mcg usage for the Hawks and whoever, but Etihad gets tossed.

Go Catters

As far as the team is concerned I'm sure they'd want as many games as possible at Geelong. From a selfish point of view not living in Geelong id like some in Melbourne. I get down to as many Geelong games as I can. But it's much easier to go to games in Melbourne.
There's nothing like the MCG but I enjoy going to games at Docklands. It's very quick and easy to get to, has lots of spots close by for food and drinks and the atmosphere is always good.

I think that 9-2 will be the best financial mix with the AFL continuing to fix the fixure.

If the AFL make Hawks, Dons, and Pies travel to KP then make it 11 kp games - I just don't see that happening.
Would be better IMO if one of The above listed came to KP as one of the nine kp games but I don't see that happening either.. It should happen with stg 4 competition..

Go Catters

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-15/cats-want-home-venue-choice-for-integrity

GEELONG would like to choose where it plays its 11 home games as it beefs up its campaign to eventually play 11 home games at Simonds Stadium.

After hosting Hawthorn in front of 70,000 people at the MCG, Cats coach Chris Scott said the integrity of the competition would be better served if each club chose where its home games were played.

The Cats play seven home games at Simonds Stadium this season and have played two home games at the MCG and Etihad Stadium as stage four of the stadium redevelopment is completed.

They play Richmond at Simonds Stadium in round 21 in what is shaping as a vital clash for both team's finals chances.

"Leave Geelong out of it. For the integrity of the game, every team in the competition should be able to decide where they play their 11 home games," Scott said.

"That’s pretty simple, isn’t it, when it comes to integrity?"

Geelong often faces the argument it has an advantage because it plays home games at Simonds Stadium but it claims that is misleading.

The Cats argue all non-Victorian teams play 11 home games a season with West Australian and South Australian teams also playing an away game at their home venue.

They also have been forced to play home games at Etihad Stadium to help the AFL fulfil its contractual obligations in recent seasons because clubs such as Melbourne sell their home games to play in the Northern Territory.

With the AFL now owning Etihad Stadium those contractual obligations are seen as less as an impediment to flexibility.

Hawthorn also play games in Launceston and the MCG and North Melbourne in Hobart and Etihad Stadium, however Geelong has played seven games a season at its home venue in six of the past eight seasons and a final in 2013.

Scott said the Cats were better off commercially playing in Geelong regardless of their opposition.

"Commercially, the club would like to play in Geelong," Scott said.

"If there’s been any confusion about that let’s nip it in the bud."

The Cats play Sydney, Richmond and Greater Western Sydney at Simonds Stadium, which now has a capacity of 36,000, in the final six rounds.

They are also expected to lobby for a final to be played at Simonds Stadium if they qualify.

Back