Game Day Round 6 vs. Port Adelaide, MCG, 1:45pm Sat 20/04

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know who he said it to?

If he made a homophobic insult to a homosexual player then I think that would be a higher level of offence??

I would think it would be. Maybe I'm out of touch though.

Clarko just made general homophobic insult I think not meant as one. A poor use of language. The player it was directed at probably wasn't personally offended.

3 weeks sounds like a lot though.
Given that no AFL player has openly come out as gay, I suspect that the word was directed to someone who was not homosexual, and am inclined to agree with you that this should attract a lesser penalty and that 3 weeks seems somewhat over the top. But I imagine many will disagree so I will leave it there. Times have changed.

Given that no AFL player has openly come out as gay, I suspect that the word was directed to someone who was not homosexual, and am inclined to agree with you that this should attract a lesser penalty and that 3 weeks seems somewhat over the top. But I imagine many will disagree so I will leave it there. Times have changed.
Just because players are not open... doesn't mean players don't know who is or who isnt. Its just the public doesnt know.

The players would know who is gay within their club & the league.

The saddest part is that there are players who don't feel comfortable enough in coming out publicly.

Presumably different context and different comments. Clearly what Finlayson said was infinitely more offensive.

Only the AFL will know the difference in the two scenarios but just because they are along the same lines doesn’t make them identical. Finlayson perhaps hit a nerve while Clarkson was just chucking out a cliched insult.

Good for Collingwood, that’s all I care about.

I think you've got to factor in the fact that Clarko is 99% Teflon.

I think you've got to factor in the fact that Clarko is 99% Teflon.
Maybe, but I don’t really care about him one way or the other.

But he just threw out the first insult that came into his hot head at Webster in the heat of the moment after a brutal hit on one of his players.

Maybe what Finlayson said was much more personal, direct, hurtful, targeted, and homophobic.

There can be reasons for the difference in penalty that are non Teflon related.

Last edited:
I actually think that a suspension is far too severe. A fine, maybe. Community service, perhaps. Undertake councelling or an education program, sure. But a suspension is too far. Especially when compared to the precedent with Clarkson.

Kossie Picket jumps and collects a guy in the head - 1 week. Finlayson calls someone a name - 3 weeks! Make it make sense.....

AFLPA aren't happy with Clarko's no suspension compared to Finlayson's 3 weeks either :

What’s up with that? Did Clarko successfully argue that he was comparing someone to a bundle of sticks?

Maybe, but I don’t really care about him one way or the other.

But he just threw out the first insult that came into his hot head at Webster in the heat of the moment after a brutal hit on one of his players.

Maybe what Finlayson said was much more personal, direct, hurtful, targeted, and homophobic.

There can be reasons for the difference in penalty that are non Teflon related.
So you believe that the player to who the comment was directed was believed by Finlayson to be gay hence the harsh penalty he received?

I'm devastated by Kruegers continuous injuries

He could be anything aka Lee Walker...rusling tom Davidson

Kid needs to retire

Poor bugger

Was worth the punt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

None of that s**t matters, slurs encourage an environment where physical attacks are encouraged and sanctioned in the minds of the usual array of shitbags and nazis that target any minority, it's dangerous and quibbling over semantics won't change that.

Last edited:
I actually think that a suspension is far too severe. A fine, maybe. Community service, perhaps. Undertake councelling or an education program, sure. But a suspension is too far. Especially when compared to the precedent with Clarkson.

Kossie Picket jumps and collects a guy in the head - 1 week. Finlayson calls someone a name - 3 weeks! Make it make sense.....
I'll try...The term used by Finlayson is undeniably offensive; its meaning is clear and cannot be misinterpreted. He seems to be a good person and is clearly contrite, but the use of such language in 2024 is inexcusable so justifies the sanction. What Clarko said resembles an immature taunt one might hear among children, and its homophobic undertones might not be immediately apparent. FWIW, my view is his choice of words alone, reflecting a surprisingly limited vocabulary for an adult, warrants a suspension.

Does the AFL have pre-existing guidelines around this?

Maybe some further education and a fine would be appropriate.

Hopefully it doesn't turn into a witch hunt.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

They have rules against vilification as far as I’m aware.

I'm devastated by Kruegers continuous injuries

He could be anything aka Lee Walker...rusling tom Davidson

Kid needs to retire

Poor bugger

Was worth the punt
I’m hoping against all the evidence that he can contribute in the second half of the season or at least gets a “ just play him” post after a few uninjured games in the VFL at some stage.
Funnily autocorrect for some reason changed uninjured to uninsured when typing this originally.

Fair enough

AFL has the facts and clearly they see a difference. Others can put it down to Teflon but I see that as lazy analysis.

I don’t really care it’s one less opponent for Collingwood next week
What was the nature of the hearing? Was it open to outsiders, reporters etc or a closed hearing where the facts of the case were only available to tribunal members? Or no hearing at all and a penalty applied on the basis of the known evidence? I haven't followed it other than to pick up on the penalty applied.

What was the nature of the hearing? Was it open to outsiders, reporters etc or a closed hearing where the facts of the case were only available to tribunal members? Or no hearing at all and a penalty applied on the basis of the known evidence? I haven't followed it other than to pick up on the penalty applied.
It was a closed hearing and confidential. I think all we know is that Finlayson admitted to it and was very sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back