Opinion Our Cheersquad

Remove this Banner Ad

So I'm guessing you want my take on that?

Well here it is...

Number 4. should be more of a recommendation than a rule, like for example, the general attitude should be to encourage people to buy memberships but again supporting is something you should want to do regardless of what you've paid for on the day in which you've chosen to support the team.

5 and 6. again support shouldn't be a requirement, like while support should be encouraged it should be that you want to support not that you are required, at MVFC many people are called 'floaters' these people float between the ends and the general admission they have no particular alignment but are welcome to show up at either end and get involved, this helps with participation overall they are more than often members who don't stay in their allocated seat or area.

7. Is stupid, let people wear what they want, encourage club colours etc but really it's not the be all and end all of importance in soccer it's called dressing 'casual'.

9,10 and 11. Obviously there should be a line, but really? No banter at all? Why shouldn't you get on an opposition player for having a terrible game or casually point out to opposition support that they aren't making finals or something anyone offended or harassed should seek psychotherapy.

12. WTF?

13 and 14. Big thumbs up!

15. WTF?

All the rest. First in, best position.

So I'm guessing you want my take on that?

No, not really.....That's the way the AFL wants the make-up of cheersquads to be..It's not financially beneficial.. so they'll create rules that will eventually eliminate the congregation of those who suffer from "Toothless Peter Pan Syndrome." and force them to Integrate into the masses..

Last edited:
No, not really.....That's the way the AFL wants the make-up of cheersquads to be..It's not financially beneficial.. so they'll create rules that will eventually eliminate the congregation of those who suffer from "Toothless Peter Pan Syndrome." and force them to Integrate into the masses..

Well sorry then.

About this, we're (the lions) not exactly bustling peeps through the turnstiles, what differentiates us from every other team in Brisbane or the AFL?

I mean to me, I don't think we can afford to do these things we need to be doing everything we can to draw people to the games for whatever reason and to add extra cost, extra dicky rules etc etc etc

Wether the AFL wants or not, it's detrimental to our situation we don't generally have 'masses' attending our games.

Anyway why I'm really here, obviously I'm curious about our situation but not very impressed with the AFL cheersquads and the way they go about it, I have a mentality that makes me sound arrogant and disdainful I don't particularly mean to do it but everything I could say may seem like I'm talking down to you instead of just being a difference of opinion and experience, so last week on SEN Rohan Connolly of The Age had a crack at what I'm talking about and although he's massively misinformed about how and why his point is generally the same as mine but from a footy guys pov.

Skip to about 8 minutes in and listen until the end.

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/what-the-afl-could-learn-from-the-aleague-20141027-11cfic.html

Last edited:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...n-cheer-squad-flag-sizes-20141111-11kehc.html

I read this article and thought of this thread. Seems the issues mentioned by cheer squad members in the thread are pretty well reflected by cheer squad's across the competition. A positive sign (along with discussions about having a kick on the ground after the game and more fan friendly match times) that the AFL is finally listening to fans. Maybe it will help to make the cheer squad a more fun place to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back