Roast Our fitness department - highly offensive/offended

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing is, the preseason is just so damned important. It sets you up for the year. In season training is about recovery and injury management. Stuff up your preseason to the extent that we did, and it's almost impossible to turn it around and you end up.with a domino effect.

They should spend the break preparing the players for next year. It will take them that long to undo the damage that was done.

Who is this they? The same muppets that stuffed us in the first place. This isn't a one year aberration, we'll be feeling this for a couple at least. They'll wind it back too far or stuff it up another way. Surely even the club knows that if these guys can turn it around it'll be pure luck, not sound strategy and management.

Who is this they? The same muppets that stuffed us in the first place. This isn't a one year aberration, we'll be feeling this for a couple at least. They'll wind it back too far or stuff it up another way. Surely even the club knows that if these guys can turn it around it'll be pure luck, not sound strategy and management.
Oh I agree mate. I'd be sacking a couple of people and doing a complete reset. But we know that won't happen.

I think we've badly over reacted to the grand final loss. Instead of putting it down to going in too tall, taking in injured players then match injuries, some bad umpiring and having an off day, we decided to blame the playing group for being mentally and physically soft. To compound this we've hired amateurs who've proceeded to break the players bodies and spirits.

Port took years to recover from 119, we may do the same.

I've posted this a few times. Coaches took no responsibility for hamstringing the playing group with their poor selection. They've then continued to drum this into the players and surprisingly, they may have lost some of the group.

I've posted this a few times. Coaches took no responsibility for hamstringing the playing group with their poor selection. They've then continued to drum this into the players and surprisingly, they may have lost some of the group.

Heard a few on the radio suggest this as well.

I believe it.

The thing is, the preseason is just so damned important. It sets you up for the year. In season training is about recovery and injury management. Stuff up your preseason to the extent that we did, and it's almost impossible to turn it around and you end up.with a domino effect.

They should spend the break preparing the players for next year. It will take them that long to undo the damage that was done.
Correct, we should now be preparing the players for round 1 next year, which means we should be bringing in new fitness & conditioning staff who know what they are doing asap.

This means sending any players who need an operation now (not waiting til it's too late like Brouch)

Not playing key players who are clearly not ready (eg. Mrouch & Tex).

Getting games into younger players to speed up their development.

I’ll say it again; the spate of injuries was apparently due to us pushing the limits to reach a new level of fitness...

So, forgetting the half of the team that is or was injured; why the hell are we so unfit?!

Craig pushed the limits a bit too far at times, but by Christ, we were fitter than anyone.

This season, we look like one of the least fit sides in the comp.
Probably because the solution to fixing the hamstring issues was to lighten training loads. Craig would have just pushed through it.

Eade says late last year they made a change to start doing heavy leg weight sessions on a Thursday before a game, which upset the players and they've continued that program through the PS. Surely the last thing you want to be doing prior to a game is tire your legs out?

They pulled back on training in the lead up to finals. Not sure what he's on about.

Does anyone know if Steve Saunders works at the Crows?

Heard an baseless rumour that we hired him back from Melbourne on a training plan rejected by other clubs.

No idea who he is though so hard to verify.
He consults to Adelaide as well. Has a practice in the city behind Pultney Grammar.

Whilst there are players like Knight who are I injury prone, the good clubs manage these players with special programs to get them on the park.

Not only can't we manage our injury prone players, we have now made most of our squad injury prone, including many players who previously missed few games.

If anyone still believes this is due to bad luck or a shorter pre-season, they are deluding themselves.

Then we demotivate at least 3 players (2 key players) with unqualified shonky pretend sports "psychologist" for good measure.

There just has to be accountability for turning a premiership potential squad into missing the finals.
With Riley Knight , the kid ruined himself injury wise by training too hard away from the club his first 2 years and it has really set him back .
Such a competitive animal you can just picture that as well .

I hope we can get his body right as he will be cracker with some continuity , like Brad Crouch just needs a solid year without injury to build on .
At the Crows at the moment , unlikely as heck .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's where I get the "Manager and not a coach" vibe from Pyke. I give you the plan, if it fails it's due to execution and not flaws in the plan itself.

They've had a lot of success with it, so I imagine that's an easy thing to think "Hey, we smashed Richmond with this, we smashed GWS and Geelong in the finals, so it should have worked", but football isn't that simple and when teams do things to specifically stop you from doing what you want to do, you need to have something else to pull out of your sleeve.

I started reading this book "Footballistics" today and the start is about the 2015 Grand Final from Clarkson's POV. He's told the players "It's 30 degrees today, pick your spots, we can't go hell to leather all day in these conditions", so they're doing a lot of work kicking it backwards/sideways to maintain possession and not run too much. But everytime they go back into their defensive 50, it allows the Eagles to set up the "Weagles Web" and makes it impossible for the Hawks to cleanly move the ball out their defensive 50. At this point it's 57 to 26, but it's 11 scoring shots to 12 and the Eagles just got it back to a 24 point margin and if it wasn't for the Eagles poor goalkicking, (or the Hawks awesome conversion rate) it could have easily been the opposite scoreline. So the message goes from the box to the players "You gotta attack, we can't keep giving them opportunities to set up like this, so take your changes when you see them and move it quick".

Then they scored something like 32 to 6 points for the rest of the game.

Anyway, that might be the opposite issue we have had previously where we just attacked attacked attacked, but the point is instead of just playing to the plan Clarkson had laid out before the match, he'd adjusted based on how the game was going. That wasn't something we looked to do in the GF, maybe we could have tried the opposite and done more moving the ball around so we're not giving the Tigers the chance to throw numbers at every contest and overwhelm us.

Last edited:
With Riley Knight , the kid ruined himself injury wise by training too hard away from the club his first 2 years and it has really set him back .
Such a competitive animal you can just picture that as well .

I hope we can get his body right as he will be cracker with some continuity , like Brad Crouch just needs a solid year without injury to build on .
At the Crows at the moment , unlikely as heck .
Can confirm I saw Riley at a quiet gym a few times in his second year and I wondered why he was pushing himself so hard given they would have all had detailed programs to follow.

That's where I get the "Manager and not a coach" vibe from Pyke. I give you the plan, if it fails it's due to execution and not flaws in the plan itself.

They've had a lot of success with it, so I imagine that's an easy thing to think "Hey, we smashed Richmond with this, we smashed GWS and Geelong in the finals, so it should have worked", but football isn't that simple and when teams do things to specifically stop you from doing what you want to do, you need to have something else to pull out of your sleeve.

I started reading this book "Footballistics" today and the start is about the 2015 Grand Final from Clarkson's POV. He's told the players "It's 30 degrees today, pick your spots, we can't go hell to leather all day in these conditions", so they're doing a lot of work kicking it backwards/sideways to maintain possession and not run too much. But everytime they go back into their defensive 50, it allows the Eagles to set up the "Weagles Web" and makes it impossible for the Hawks to cleanly move the ball out their defensive 50. At this point it's 57 to 26, but it's 11 scoring shots to 12 and the Eagles just got it back to a 24 point margin and if it wasn't for the Eagles poor goalkicking, (or the Hawks awesome conversion rate) it could have easily been the opposite scoreline. So the message goes from the box to the players "You gotta attack, we can't keep giving them opportunities to set up like this, so take your changes when you see them and move it quick".

Then they scored something like 32 to 6 points for the rest of the game.

Anyway, that might be the opposite issue we have had previously where we just attacked attacked attacked, but the point is instead of just playing to the plan Clarkson had laid out before the match, he'd adjusted based on how the game was going. That wasn't something we looked to do in the GF, maybe we could have tried the opposite and done more moving the ball around so we're not giving the Tigers the chance to throw numbers at every contest and overwhelm us.

So your saying kicking long to a contest on the boundary over and over again wasn't the best option? What about kicking long and high to Rance? Surely there was no flaw there??

If the club is serious at all they must get rid of burton and hass. Their record speaks for itself. There can be no argument about it.

Nope. I missed the first part but heard them say that.
He went off the ground late in the game vs the Hawks and down the race.
The club hasn't said a word that I've heard about what or why.

We'll probably just find out next week on selection night.
Doesn’t sound good. Might be rested with Riley Knight

Remove this Banner Ad

Back