Roast Our fitness department - highly offensive/offended

Remove this Banner Ad

This was one of my only knocks on Fagan.

Promises best in league footy department, replaces Poulos with the guy from Brisbane in Burton, a club who haven't been the best at anything for almost two decades now.

He brings I'm Hass to work under him in a lesser role.

Within what seems like 5 minute Burton's upgraded to another role rather than getting the best from elsewhere.

Before Hass even has the chance to do the job he was hired to do and instead of looking externally he's upgraded into Burton's role.

Not even sure who ended up doing Hass' original job, the work exprience kid?

We've not really inserted anyone who has a proven record, even with assistants it's not been a case of let's go an build the best team.

The we looked everywhere but we already had the best person so we upgraded them thing is predictable, is it lazy or are drinking our own bathwater a bit much.

What I soon realised is we were building the best "system" in our own mind, not that we'll go and poach the best.

Perhaps it's the cap or no one wants to come here but to me thats a lot of risks for a big club to be taking.

Last edited:
So its one year and you're all experts on this stuff? What about the previous two years having the lowest amount of players used? I reckon if you looked it up, the rate of hammies injuries would be going up since the interchange cap was put in.

Actually, this is the second year. We had a massive run of hamstring injuries in the first half of last year too. And yes, I probably do qualify as a relative “expert” in this stuff.

Promises best in league footy department, replaces Poulos with the guy from Brisbane in Burton, a club who haven't been the best at anything for almost two decades now.

Within what seems like 5 minute Burton's upgraded to another role rather than getting the best from elsewhere.

Before Hass even has the chance to do the job he was hired to do and instead of looking externally he's upgraded into Burton's role.

We've not really inserted anyone who has a proven record, even with assistants it's not been a case of let's go an build the best team.

The we looked everywhere but we already had the best person so we upgraded them thing is predictable, is it lazy or are drinking our own bathwater a bit much.

What I soon realised is we were building the best "system" in our own mind, not that we'll go and poach the best.

Perhaps it's the cap or no one wants to come here but to me thats a lot of risks for a big club to be taking.

* the cap as an excuse.

We should just pay the cap tax and get the best. It's what the big, financially powerful, clubs can do and that SHOULD be us.

Yes, but he wasn't he also head of ours as well in a very good injury year?

Was that 2016, ie when he was essentially taking credit for Polous good work? 2017 wasn’t a good year and is probably half the reason we’re in the mess we are now. Once a player does one hamstring, he is at a significantly higher risk of doing another. We had a spate of hamstring injuries beginning of 2017, having not seen any for a long time, now we’re getting them left, right and centre.

Burton and Hass have created a mess and I hope we’re having a thorough review of our high performance department.

I think this is a massive issue in terms of fitness personnel and coaching staff. The best would rather move to Melbourne where there’s 10 potential high level employers. Always job openings without having to move. Unfortunately, if we want to be the best, we need to be willing to pay overs for key personnel. Even if it means breaking the soft cap.

Unfortunately we had Polous, who from all reports and appearances was absolute quality. We have Ogilvie who’s top notch, but how long before we decide Rhett Biglands is actually the best recruiter in all the lands... Hass and Burton have essentially come from a basket case club and from all appearances got their jobs because Burton was mates with Roo. Pyke appears quality, but is surrounded by ex-Crows and Campo who’s survived how many senior coaches now? Including himself there’s Craig, Bickley, Sando, Walsh, himself and now Pyke. At present all we need to do is ditch Francou for Bickley and we’ll have the same coaching set up that Craig had in his last 2 years!

The club won’t come out personally and admit to any questions being asked, but I bloody hope there’s a massive review going on internally of our fitness staff and Chapman is readying the purse strings to be opened to attract a genuine professional quality high performance manager.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this is a massive issue in terms of fitness personnel and coaching staff. The best would rather move to Melbourne where there’s 10 potential high level employers. Always job openings without having to move. Unfortunately, if we want to be the best, we need to be willing to pay overs for key personnel. Even if it means breaking the soft cap.

Unfortunately we had Polous, who from all reports and appearances was absolute quality. We have Ogilvie who’s top notch, but how long before we decide Rhett Biglands is actually the best recruiter in all the lands... Hass and Burton have essentially come from a basket case club and from all appearances got their jobs because Burton was mates with Roo. Pyke appears quality, but is surrounded by ex-Crows and Campo who’s survived how many senior coaches now? Including himself there’s Craig, Bickley, Sando, Walsh, himself and now Pyke. At present all we need to do is ditch Francou for Bickley and we’ll have the same coaching set up that Craig had in his last 2 years!

The club won’t come out personally and admit to any questions being asked, but I bloody hope there’s a massive review going on internally of our fitness staff and Chapman is readying the purse strings to be opened to attract a genuine professional quality high performance manager.

The thing that annoyed me when we first got Burton was the people in the media fobbing off any concerns about Burton's history at Brisbane.

"He had to work in a tin shed", "He didn't have the resources at his disposal there like he will in Adelaide" etc. It was all complete bullshit to justify his appointment.

Regardless of what people try and convince themselves, we knew what we were getting and now we're getting what we deserve because of it.

The thing that annoyed me when we first got Burton was the people in the media fobbing off any concerns about Burton's history at Brisbane.

"He had to work in a tin shed", "He didn't have the resources at his disposal there like he will in Adelaide" etc. It was all complete bullshit to justify his appointment.

Regardless of what people try and convince themselves, we knew what we were getting and now we're getting what we deserve because of it.

Working in a tin shed does not make you strain players bodies to breaking point.

Unfortunately, this has all been shown to be true. I was happy to give the club the benefit of the doubt initially, I hadn’t interviewed Burton, I didn’t know he philosophies and hand spoken to references etc. however there were question marks and unfortunately, it appears like the club should have heeded the warning signs.

Working in a tin shed does not make you strain players bodies to breaking point.

I agree, but this was the sort of nonsense that Rowie was saying when people were ringing in complaining about it.

As I said before it had red flags all over it, you don't demote a guy who's doing a great job to put one of your mates in. I would have left too if I had been doing a great job and my employer told me that I was being demoted back to a lesser role so that they could bring in one of their mates.

For some reason people though Roo would come in and sweep out the old boys club.

Not realizing he's just become chief old boy.

I was okay with Roo until he hired people like Burton and Hart and now it's becoming obvious we have regressed back into our insular, boys club culture. I don't know why we decided to go that way when we had just started to turn things around. Why does Roo think that loading up on Neil Craig era rejects is going to lead us to success?

I was okay with Roo until he hired people like Burton and Hart and now it's becoming obvious we have regressed back into our insular, boys club culture. I don't know why we decided to go that way when we had just started to turn things around. Why does Roo think that loading up on Neil Craig era rejects is going to lead us to success?
Burton I can see, he's actually done a pretty good job since he's come in

Just like it's hard to get players to Adelaide, I imagine it's hard to get quality coaches here too, and we can't overpay anymore with a cap in place.

Pretty much everyone we've hired has had a connection to Adelaide haven't they? Except maybe Teague who came because of Walsh.

iu

Remove this Banner Ad

Back