WesternRoo

Club Legend
Apr 4, 2007
Wattleup Stadium
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Club Oz Cougars
Mullet chipping to himself then bombing it to left half back is something from a bygone era or the amateurs.

We mix it up every so often by chipping to Tarrant in the back pocket who then kicks to the same spot.

We used to get away with this a bit in days gone by when we were a good stoppage and contested ball side and would often win the clearance from the throw in or ball up that often resulted.

Drew or Waite would occasionally clunk a mark too.

But those days are behind us.

Surely we need to be exploring a more direct strategy or something different ? We only have to
look as far as what other sides do to us for ideas.

Mullet chipping to himself then bombing it to left half back is something from a bygone era or the amateurs.

We mix it up every so often by chipping to Tarrant in the back pocket who then kicks to the same spot.

We used to get away with this a bit in days gone by when we were a good stoppage and contested ball side and would often win the clearance from the throw in or ball up that often resulted.

Surely we need to be exploring a more direct strategy or something different ? We only have to
It's a lack of dare in the game plan , its simple as kicking to that same spot as it's the toughest spot to score for opposition if they win the ball back . But I'm tipping that because we do it so often that teams prepare for it & we very rarely score from kick ins ... well that's how it feels anyway . I'd like to see the stats on how many times we score from kick ins in comparison to other teams I'd suggest we are on the very low end of the scale

Damned if ya do...

Imagine the outrage if we tried to bite off a kick in the middle, only for it to go straight back over the head for a goal. I'm ok with going for it when the situation obviously presents itself (space, unmarked man), but when in doubt do the percentage thing. There's a reason every team does it, not just us.

Get a better contest down the field and this isn't an issue. Cure the disease, not the symptoms.

One of my pet peeves for a long time, i dont mind the long option down the line but to often it is taken to slowly and never switched up. Very predictable.

I suspect our kick-in strategy was born from a visit to Timezone back in the late 80's.

dUCc3bzoX9UM_gRmGQ4mSILrgjFloEyeEUVcFLD3YLzItcs_0sSM-tp6o9DkL1JX9kpMdymZ=w512-h288-nc

To be honest we haven't had a decent kick-out from behinds since Pagan was coach.

Under Laidley and Scott we have ALWAYS struggled to get it outside the defensive 50.

One of my pet peeves for a long time, i dont mind the long option down the line but to often it is taken to slowly and never switched up. Very predictable.

Agreed it's a huge problem. It surprises me that the coaching staff still haven't been able to come up with anything that even remotely works. Might as well just bomb it long everytime.

Hasn't changed since the laidley era. Bomb it wide to petrie and hope he marks or knocks it out so we can reset.

Or

Chip to the pocket and do the same.

It kills me. Every time. I know it's based on percentages. Less chance of opposition getting it back and if they do they are towards the boundary making it easier to cut off. Smae thing malthouse said when he would attack through the wings rather than through the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as it gives me a heart attacked each time, i think the best way we get it out of defense is just run and carry working into the corridor. On the weekend it would've never worked due to constant fumbles, but i find even though it's been risky and theres been many near turnovers (granted there's been plenty of turnovers too), once we get past that defensive 50 and make it into the center square we don't do to badly delivering a semi quality ball into fwd 50.

My favorite kick in is the chip to the pocket, followed by a series of increasingly under pressure handballs along the boundary line the 50 metre line until someone gets bundled over the line for a throw in. The players must be tempted to join in with North supporters in facepalming when that happens.

But my new favorite is the latest variation on the old bomb is 60 metres to Petrie on a flank, except this version involces the tall marking target (cough Goldy cough) getting outbodied and outmarked by something who stands 6 foot tall dripping wet. It's a thing of rare beauty.

My favorite kick in is the chip to the pocket, followed by a series of increasingly under pressure handballs along the boundary line the 50 metre line until someone gets bundled over the line for a throw in. The players must be tempted to join in with North supporters in facepalming when that happens.

But my new favorite is the latest variation on the old bomb is 60 metres to Petrie on a flank, except this version involces the tall marking target (cough Goldy cough) getting outbodied and outmarked by something who stands 6 foot tall dripping wet. It's a thing of rare beauty.
I thought THAT was Plan A.

Hold it well past what is possible in the rules, showing complete confusion and indecision giving the other team a boost in confidence. Wait until the very moment that the umpire is about to call play-on, then kick long to 'the tallest North player you can see' around the 50m line....... regardless of how many opposition players are on him.

We've perfected this of many MANY years of fine tuning.

Plan B - to the pocket. Still a work in progress in my opinion.

over the pre-season kick out drills would take 1/2 day to plan and practise. Kick it long or kick it to yourself and kick it long.

I think we need to think outside the box. For example, chip to yourself, play on and run as far as you can and then do one of them kicks where you spin the ball forward and into the ground. Time it perfectly so as it gets to any defenders it bounces high and over their heads rather than straight into them. Opposition won't know what hit them and we will be off and running through the centre with a coast to coast goal

If I was north, I would be taking this opportunity to make re-assess and trial strategies as much as possible. Not locked into a season, not really a lot of pressure from the supporter base, now is the time to make mistakes not only for our young players.

There was one kick in where LT kicked to himself, played on and then kicked long. Funny thing was he only ran 15cm out of the square!!
BUT we actually went coast to coast and scored a goal!

I know you don't rate him but LT is one of our best decision makers when he has the ball and he makes those decisions quickly then usually follows up with good disposal, since he has been out of the forward line especially. He probably saw the option and decided it was worth changing whatever he was gonna do after he took off from the square.

Its a good idea if the opposition are expecting a particular play from that kick to yourself then run and kick long down the line. I reckon Mullett's brain works at about half the speed of LTs - on the last line of the backline anyway. he is definitely better up the ground a bit imo.

Also if we are going long down the line why doesn't Goldy ... well maybe Daw start in the Centre Circle and run to a pre determined spot then fly for the mark?

You know - make it a set play where he starts from one of 3 spots in the centre square and runs to particular spots then tries to leap and take the ball 12 feet in the air, or even tap it backwards over his head.

I think we need to think outside the box. For example, chip to yourself, play on and run as far as you can and then do one of them kicks where you spin the ball forward and into the ground. Time it perfectly so as it gets to any defenders it bounces high and over their heads rather than straight into them. Opposition won't know what hit them and we will be off and running through the centre with a coast to coast goal

Andrew Johns like this.

I look forward to GR overlaying the Harlem Globetrotter music on the highlights video.......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back