Overweight and Obesity in Australia in 2023 and future projections.

Are you overweight?

• Yes

Votes: 29 39.2%
  • No

Votes: 45 60.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Guys we're not going to talk about long fasting in here this isn't the place for unsolicited internet medical advice telling people to starve themselves to fix their weight issues

Ohhhhh.... nooooooo.

Oh yes.

Excluding people who have physical conditions that cause their weight issues the rest of the people who are obese have allowed themselves to get that way despite all the information out there informing of why it happens and how it can be countered.

People are either conditioned or addicted to eating constantly these days.

Fasting done correctly is amazing for your health. Not eating stimulates similar hormonal responses in your body as exercise.

The average person can go between 30-40 days without food given our fat storages before any significant muscle loss occurs.

Numerous peer-reviewed papers demonstrate that inconsequential amounts of muscle loss can occur - we mostly eat into our fat storages, not lean muscle mass.

Refeeding and overeating post-fast is a problem with a bad diet, it is not a problem if you eat relatively healthily.

Doing a 48-72 once every few months is amazing. Doing a 5+ day fast gives you both a euphoric feeling at times (similar to the runner's high) and a sense of accomplishment similar to running a half/full marathon.

Finally, your blood markers improve during a fast, whether it's 24hrs, 48hrs or longer. Doing a 5+ day fast will see the majority of your blood markers improve significantly.

It's difficult to do. But so is running 5km every day. Or training for a marathon.

(happy to disagree though :) )
Im not gonna get into how this doesnt help weight or fat loss in a long term sense at all but on the bolded ive read the same studies and all of the ones ive seen noted that the reductions pretty much immediately return following ending the fast.

To be clear here, obviously if you eat a healthy and balanced diet and wanna throw in the odd short fast here and there thats fine.

Im saying that fasts do next to nothing long term, dont actually help people who want or need to lose weight to actually do that long term and sustainably and suggesting that it can and others should try it is dumb and irresponsible.

Oh yes.

Excluding people who have physical conditions that cause their weight issues the rest of the people who are obese have allowed themselves to get that way despite all the information out there informing of why it happens and how it can be countered.

yeah time for you to leave

Oh yes.

Excluding that you seem to be ignoring mental conditions your 95% estimate is wildly innacurate.

This mindset youve got is antiquated and extremely unhelpful to most people.

Fasting for 2-3 days (no more) can be a great aid to someone who already has an established health routine but not sure I'd be recommending it to someone who is starting.

Fasting for 2-3 days (no more) can be a great aid to someone who already has an established health routine but not sure I'd be recommending it to someone who is starting.
the thing for me is that biggest thing about fasting in general, whatever method you use is really in part its about being aware of eating/not eating

like people that have feeding windows like from 12-8 are fasting every day outside that window, if they're getting their calories in that time all good

if they're not its not going to be sustainable

multi day fasts aren't something to just do, especially when someone is coming on here going I felt amazing after 12 days or anyone can go 30-40 days without food without hurting themselves

that's just ******* dumb s**t to be posting

there are all sorts of ideas about how to control your relationship with food instead of letting it control you and what works for some wont work for others

what is safe for some wont be safe for others

wellness has a lot of cult behaviours and nutrition is a minefield

I've had people say food allergies aren't real and you can overcome them by "eating clean" like they will encourage someone with an epipen to eat the food puts them in hospital because they don't believe in science

I just read article that said you can go 30+ days without eating safely because the author read a study about an octogenarian prisoner who was starved while in captivity.....

Weight loss is 99% in the mind.

With all the health science available to us in 2023, people are still trotting out this bullshit chestnut?

If weightloss was 99% in the mind no one would be fat, your post is so ignorant.

[
Some truly horrible advice 🤦🏻‍♂️

It’s not hard people. Stay in a calorie deficit, and you can eat the foods you like. You’ll lose weight if you stick to it.
Yeh again, not always the case.

Maybe we could just leave the advice the people’s health care professionals.

[
Yeh again, not always the case.

Maybe we could just leave the advice the people’s health care professionals.
I hope people realize that if they are getting told to do fasting/cleanses or whatever they should find a new health care professional.

The amount of doctors out there that will prescribe weight loss pills is pretty scary.

I don't understand how Germans eat the food they do and not have an obesity issue. Bread, bagels, pastries, doughnuts everywhere but I don't think I've seen an overweight person.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't understand how Germans eat the food they do and not have an obesity issue. Bread, bagels, pastries, doughnuts everywhere but I don't think I've seen an overweight person.
I think it's like France, a lot of pastries, cheese, butter but they have small servings and not every meal (Ive heard, never been)

Plus there would obv be huge German and French people that can't resist the deliciousness

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I went out for lunch with a group of friends today. All in their 40s and 50s. Most of them overweight and some obese. It was quite sad watching the food choices they did. Seeing my choice of food (chicken and avo salad) the discussion inevitably got on to diet and exercise. One person said that they admire my self-control but loved their food too much to do the same. One person asked me about CrossFit then pulled out the usual reply I get from people. "I'm not fit enough to do CrossFit ". FMD. You're not going to get fit enough sitting on the couch eating potato chips. Then when we finished, we got up from the table and a lot of them were struggling with sore knees and bad backs. It was all quite depressing.

I went out for lunch with a group of friends today. All in their 40s and 50s. Most of them overweight and some obese. It was quite sad watching the food choices they did. Seeing my choice of food (chicken and avo salad) the discussion inevitably got on to diet and exercise. One person said that they admire my self-control but loved their food too much to do the same. One person asked me about CrossFit then pulled out the usual reply I get from people. "I'm not fit enough to do CrossFit ". FMD. You're not going to get fit enough sitting on the couch eating potato chips. Then when we finished, we got up from the table and a lot of them were struggling with sore knees and bad backs. It was all quite depressing.
My step mum is a year or two shy of 80 and just got offered medical weed for her knees much to our amusement given the decades long moaning at her kids and step kids about our smoking habits.

You should explain to them that there are sessions for all levels of fitness, from beginner to advanced.

I tell them that everyone starts at their own level and you only do what you are capable of. But it doesn't seem to make any difference.

I had to stop buying nuts, because I kept on justifying eating them all the time, like its ok because its protein, lol.

Im not saying I never have them or other things, its just a lot easier and simpler to not buy them in the first place to have them there in easy reach.

The other night, I could have easily smashed anything in my pantry just before bed, all I could find was tuna and gave up and went to sleep. lol.

Peanut butter and Greek yoghurt mixed together. Bellissimo!

I read that 1000 steps is basically ten minutes walking. Average person before any specific exercise would do 3-4000 a day (average person). So an hour would get 6000

I did 1000 box step ups yesterday.

I don’t “diet” and you can rest assured I am NEVER ordering a salad when I eat out but eating relatively healthy and still having a burger and beer when you go out isn’t hard to do (provided you don’t eat out 3+ nights a week).

The exercise thing is hilarious to me. “I wanna get in shape before I do x”. Guys, you’ll get in shape when you start doing x. That’s half the ******* point.

I don’t “diet” and you can rest assured I am NEVER ordering a salad when I eat out but eating relatively healthy and still having a burger and beer when you go out isn’t hard to do (provided you don’t eat out 3+ nights a week).

The exercise thing is hilarious to me. “I wanna get in shape before I do x”. Guys, you’ll get in shape when you start doing x. That’s half the ******* point.
There are exercises you can't do until you're in shape, so I understand the sentiment there. Progress is a goal in and of itself.

There are exercises you can't do until you're in shape, so I understand the sentiment there. Progress is a goal in and of itself.
I’ve played footy my whole life and never hit an inside out torp from 60 out, that’s not a reason to not play footy.

It’s a stupid reason.

Back