Recommitted Patrick Cripps [Re-Signed to 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah 7 news just reporting Eagles are offering 850k a season and willing to off load Yeo.

Don’t know how true it is but the drums are beating.

Have never known West Coast to 'off load' players. We just don't do it.

Plus Yeo is arguably our best player (would be between himself and Shuey).
Massively underrated but he's the best 2 way mid in the comp. He can also take elite players out of the game while compiling his own stats.

No disrespect to west coast supporters or Elliot Yeo but Yeo is 18 months older than Cripps and so far to date he is no where near the player Cripps has been
He has had a great 2-3 year block but he is no Patrick Cripps.

I'd take Cripps if we could get him without selling the farm (as we just did that with Kelly).

But Yeo imo has been our best player during a number of years of us contending (including 2 GFs and a Premiership) - Cripps has been the shining light in a bottom 4 team.
Yeo may be older but come post-bye we'll see what version of himself comes back and plays. Cripps is already not looking the goods for a couple years now.

Last edited:
cant disagree. But my point is mainly that I’d definitely be happy to take him.
under a coach that understands defense, maybe he becomes more 2 way
He'll cost a mint in salary (of which we apparently don't have) and has been in **** form for 18 months. You would never move Andy or Mundy out of the middle because they are both currently better players.

Also, he is slow and not a good endurance runner, which is why he gets smashed on the spread. He'd have to set up defensively to make any sort of impact and that would completely curtail his only real strength, which is right in the middle of the contest.

No way he makes sense. If we didn't have a salary cap and got him as a FA, sure.

No, we won't. We're not taking a single pick for our co-captain and best player (when fit).

We'll match any bid and a trade will get done if he wants to go home. Nothing surer.

I think after Cameron GWS.. the lid is off now.

Whether one agrees with the rules or not. Its simply a matter of whether the other club can offer enough that would see you not match.

He'll cost a mint in salary (of which we apparently don't have) and has been in **** form for 18 months. You would never move Andy or Mundy out of the middle because they are both currently better players.

Also, he is slow and not a good endurance runner, which is why he gets smashed on the spread. He'd have to set up defensively to make any sort of impact and that would completely curtail his only real strength, which is right in the middle of the contest.

No way he makes sense. If we didn't have a salary cap and got him as a FA, sure.

your last sentence is pretty much what I said originally haha. Don’t wanna over pay and FA only.

Mundy & Brayshaw we’re just an example of 2 guys who could play wing etc. not saying they will or won’t. No guarantee Mundy even wants to go again. Never know what could happen.

But yeah, Cripps would have to nominate us first, which I don’t think he will. He stays

your last sentence is pretty much what I said originally haha. Don’t wanna over pay and FA only.

Mundy & Brayshaw we’re just an example of 2 guys who could play wing etc. not saying they will or won’t. No guarantee Mundy even wants to go again. Never know what could happen.

But yeah, Cripps would have to nominate us first, which I don’t think he will. He stays
Doubt Cripps take 500k and I am sure Carlton don't take the 2nd round compensation that would bring.

But why move superior midfielders to the wing to accommodate an inferior one? We also have other midfielders developing that will need game time that Cripps would take. Midfielders that should have more than 3-5 years left to give.

**** I hope so.

Really?? He plays in the same position as Fyfe, Mundy, Brayshaw and Serong. We don’t need him we have enough inside mids. Zach Merrett (his brother plays for Peel) would make more sense because of his outside game and elite disposal if we were to chase a free agent.

Mundy is better than Cripps right now.

What I don’t understand with Carton is they have Cap problems and haven’t signed Cripps and McKay yet but is chasing Cerra for $700k a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh, I agree he doesn’t necessarily suit where you guys are at.

I mentioned freo moreso from the sense that you don’t have the restrictions that WC does around trading 1st round picks should Carlton match, or the cap issues that WC have.

If Cripps decided to come home back to WA we can’t afford to trade without giving up something or give Cripps enough of an offer that makes Carlton decide not to. But you guys could.

West Coast can't trade out it's first pick after doing so the last two years. Must use it in the draft. And I'd be very surprised if we wanted to trade it even if we could - we have no good midfielders younger than 26 coming through so it is an absolute must that we use our first pick this year to bring one in. Cripps' best footy appears to be a long way behind him, he's either lost form terribly or has been hampered badly by injuries in both 2020 and 2021. Either way he's worth nowhere near what he once was. Just can't see a trade for picks getting it done. Can't see Cripps getting to West Coast at all really.

Has it ever been tested that rule? At what point have you failed to have 2 R1 pick in 4 years. In draft trading would seem to mean that only after the draft is completed can a team be assessed as to whether they have had a R1 pick has or has not been taken. If WC fail to have a R1 pick in 2021... what happens? I think at the worst they may prevent you from trading future picks, and even then you can apply for an exception.

I think the rule is very imprecise anyway. You comply if you have two P18's but not if you have two P19's. Whether you want to trade it is another matter, and if you have enough cap room you would not have to for Cripps as he is RFA. Do WCoast have cap room?

I don’t think we’d be interested in Cerra or Merrett if we didn’t have cap space.

Cripps would already be on 850k-1m at Carlton. We don’t have to find that money like WCE/Freo do, and with his current form as it stands we certainly won’t need to find more.

We match any bid, nothing surer.
you are at 105% of the cap, you need $$$$ for your gun forward
this has collingwood mismanagement all over it

Murphy, Betts, Casboult leaving will open up another mil, if Cripps stays his contract will reduce.

Plenty of cap space to work with, and I expect we will use it to go hard at someone like Cerra.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s actually a really interesting situation IMO. I can’t think of a recent time where a superstar was out of contract heading into what is supposed to be his big payday but has regressed (through injury or otherwise) to the point it would be negligent to offer him anything near his value at this best. It’s not two weeks of regression here, it’s 18 months.

Whatever contract they had put together had likely been torn and restarted. You couldn’t offer him 850+ for 5 years at the moment, you could completely * your salary cap if his form doesn’t improve. As Collingwood have shown, ******* your cap is not advisable. Would imagine Carlton are pushing for a heavily incentive based contract to give themselves some cover

Only because we front loaded Martin @ 1m for 2 seasons and others like Gov.

Collingwood actively traded out good players for peanuts, we are looking to bring in good players. No similarities whatsoever.

No disrespect to west coast supporters or Elliot Yeo but Yeo is 18 months older than Cripps and so far to date he is no where near the player Cripps has been
He has had a great 2-3 year block but he is no Patrick Cripps.

Cripps
2 X All-Australian
Leigh Matthews Trophy
3 X Best and Fairest

Yeo
2 X All Australian
2 X Best and Fairest

Gap isn't as massive as you would think

Besides, I wouldn't trust Cripps in the same situation :p

Really?? He plays in the same position as Fyfe, Mundy, Brayshaw and Serong. We don’t need him we have enough inside mids. Zach Merrett (his brother plays for Peel) would make more sense because of his outside game and elite disposal if we were to chase a free agent.

Mundy is better than Cripps right now.

What I don’t understand with Carton is they have Cap problems and haven’t signed Cripps and McKay yet but is chasing Cerra for $700k a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HINT: We don’t have cap issues.

Very interested to see how this one pans out. There's been rumours and unrest he was moving even 2 years back.

Unfortunately for Cripps basically everything that can go wrong has gone wrong for him timing wise:
- Carlton just sign Williams and Saad on mega money not living up to the hype;
- Pies salary cap squeeze turns them into a shambles. Highlighting mega money shouldnt just be thrown out to anyone.
- Form has gone in the toilet.

I honestly don't know where I'd rate him atm. I really doubt Freo or Eagles have the cap to throw at the guy but if they did, getting a first round compo is probably the best result for Carlton.
It's either that or they match any bid and hold him.

Eagles are done with selling the farm and won't do it again. Freo have a bounty of star youth they want to hold, not trade.

He's probably only worth ~ $700-$750k/year over 4-5years. Anything more seems risky given he might only serve 2-3 before being totally shot?

I think he stays at the Blues. If they have room they could front end a bigger contract and start him on $900k+ over a couple years reducing to $600k type numbers in later years to prevent any squeeze. Chalk it up to being a loyalty payment.

I don't think we can fit him in our cap unless there is a few retirements or other trades

Would happily have him though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back