Recommitted Patrick Cripps [Re-Signed to 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure, but I since expanded on that to remove any perceived bias out of it. Only a select few sides are currently completely out of finals contention as it stands.

Edit: Bringing it back to Carlton, the issue isn't just having beaten clubs in the bottom 8. Carry that form through and we win 12 games, which will likely be enough to play finals. But that's a separate discussion.
Yeah probably not entirely out of contention (not like North, Pies, Hawks) but I'd say the expectation of going deep in finals is pretty close to gone at this point, so resting Cripps (assuming he plans on sticking around long term) is probably worth doing. Short term pain for long term gain

Sure, but I since expanded on that to remove any perceived bias out of it. Only a select few sides are currently completely out of finals contention as it stands.

Edit: Bringing it back to Carlton, the issue isn't just having beaten clubs in the bottom 8. Carry that form through and we win 12 games, which will likely be enough to play finals. But that's a separate discussion.
As it has already been pointed out, you've only left the state once so far, which means the difficult part of your fixture is still to come. Lose this week and you're 3-6.

The rest of your fixture:

Melbourne MCG
Hawthorn MCG
Sydney SCG
West Coast MCG
GWS Giants stadium
Adelaide Marvel
Fremantle Optus Stadium
Geelong MCG
Collingwood MCG
North Marvel

St Kilda Marvel
Gold Coast Marvel
Port Adelaide Oval
GWS Marvel

I can only see 6 games that Carlton will definitely win, which means Carlton will need to start winning games they haven't demonstrated they can win to make finals. If they only win the bolded, then that would take them up to 9 wins for the year.

Conversely, I can see 4 definite losses (Melbourne, West Coast, Geelong and Port), which would take you up to 9 losses. That would likely only allow for one more loss if you have a good percentage. Very small margin for error there, especially given 3 of the 50-50s are interstate (Fremantle, Sydney and GWS).

As you can see, making finals from 3-5 isn't as easy as you make it out to be.

As you can see, making finals from 3-5 isn't as easy as you make it out to be.

Easy? Who said anything about it being easy?

All I refuted is that we’re out of contention. Because clearly that’s incorrect.

Easy? Who said anything about it being easy?

All I refuted is that we’re out of contention. Because clearly that’s incorrect.

Mate you’re behind us on the ladder and we’ve already played Sydney, GWS, Poet and Brisbane on their home grounds and have a much softer run home.

to get into the finals with your percentage you’re going to have to win 3 more games than Richmond in the run home, or 4 more games than WC/Port/Geel/Bris or Sydney and also outperform GWS and St Kilda

not going to happen

Mate you’re behind us on the ladder and we’ve already played Sydney, GWS, Poet and Brisbane on their home grounds and have a much softer run home.

to get into the finals with your percentage you’re going to have to win 3 more games than Richmond in the run home, or 4 more games than WC/Port/Geel/Bris or Sydney and also outperform GWS and St Kilda

not going to happen

9th or 10th is probably best case scenario. Will beat some teams we were expected to lose to, and probably lose to some teams we’d be expected to beat.

Not the worst result in the grand scheme of things. Come 7th or 8th and we probably extend Teague and make a few changes to the coaching panel.

Realistically we need a big clean out in our coaching ranks, and to move on a bunch of older underperforming players.

9th or 10th is probably best case scenario. Will beat some teams we were expected to lose to, and probably lose to some teams we’d be expected to beat.

Not the worst result in the grand scheme of things. Come 7th or 8th and we probably extend Teague and make a few changes to the coaching panel.

Realistically we need a big clean out in our coaching ranks, and to move on a bunch of older underperforming players.

I don't know.. I thought you weren't far off. Betts and Murphy obviously have to move on but the list looks pretty solid

I mean - this is a great backline:
B: Plowman (B+) Jones (B+) Saad (A)
HB: Docherty (A) Weitering (A/A+) Williams (A)

Your midfield rotation is good:
C: Fisher (B+) Curnow (B+) SPS (B+)
R: Pinottet (B/B+) Cripps (capable of being A+) Walsh (A+)

And your forward line is good:
HF: Newnes (B) Curnow (capable of being A grade if the knee holds up) Martin (B/B+)
F: Silvagni (B) McKay (A/A+) Gibbons/Owies/McGovern(?)

Feels like you just need to get Curnow and Martin back, get Cripps fit, get a little bit more midfield depth (hopefully Kennedy/Dow/Setterfield/Cottrell?), find a Betts replacement (Owies?) and you've got as good a list as most. Doesn't hurt to have a few old blokes around to fill a need, if they are playing week in / week out it's a problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was only coming home if he chose the mrs over footy

This is good news for Blues fans

Don't know about you guys but it's a bit sad isn't it when Patrick Cripps will be on a 4 year deal & Zac Williams got a 6 years.

Bit unfair if you ask me if the reports are true.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back