Paul Stewart - SANFL List Manager

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought I read here somewhere that Moore bought a house in Adelaide? Can't see him leaving, he knows once Dom pulls the pin - which will likely happen this year - that he'll have first dibs ahead of Newton & Young for his spot.

Surprised Stewart was dropped when he had a much better game than Dom & Impey. I keep hearing about team structure but Jarman hasn't had a proper role in the side for over a month now he's just a small rover.

As is Moore I think, but they can both ask for a trade out
True. But patience is a virtue, and as good as Burgo is, this dream run with injury can't last forever, I would think the next teir down would know that. So hopefully we dont lose to many. Losing a few is almost inevitable though.

True. But patience is a virtue, and as good as Burgo is, this dream run with injury can't last forever, I would think the next teir down would know that. So hopefully we dont lose to many. Losing a few is almost inevitable though.
Dream run is a stretch when the Dreamboat has gone down with more knee surjury

Stewart has had a pretty shocking run of short injuries since Ken's taken over.
Corked Knee, Strained back, Broken Wrist throughout 2013, yet he still managed 12 games.
Calf strain in the last preseason game against the Saints, that kept him out for 3 weeks.

I'm not sure how else Ken was supposed to handle Stewart??

Aside from the first 2 or 3 in 2013, playing as a defensive forward, I can't remember any games where he was very effective, injuries aside. He was shifted around between and during games a fair bit when he was available, so combine that and not being fit to play, he was no chance at getting consistent and confident.

Aside from the first 2 or 3 in 2013, playing as a defensive forward, I can't remember any games where he was very effective, injuries aside. He was shifted around between and during games a fair bit when he was available, so combine that and not being fit to play, he was no chance at getting consistent and confident.

Yeah many have said his super versatility has been a double-edged sword for Stewart.
I didn't see 2013 as any different than 2012 when he played 21 games. I remembered him playing as a big midfielder, 3rd tall defender, fullback on Koschitzcke, and CHF against Melbourne all in the same year.

To me, 2013 showed that when fit and uninjured Ken had a place for him in the team**.

**Unless it's coming back from injury leading up to finals then Hombsch, Stewart and Newton were all unlucky.

He is probably the guy most likely to walk at the end of the season. He'd be in the best 22 of the majority of AFL teams, but he's not in ours. He's in the age range that a team like Brisbane that desperately needs players in the 24-28 age bracket would get somebody who they can plug and play immediately but they'll still get 4 or 5 years of service out of. I'd love him to stay because he ticks just about every box that you want your 23rd-30th players to tick, but I wouldn't begrudge him leaving for more opportunity whatsoever.

I could see him leaving at the end of the year and it would probably be a win win.

He gets to a club where he gets more opportunities, more security and probably more coin.

We get to keep regenerating our list to ensure a long time at the top. The consistently good clubs take advantage of the over inflated values of their fringe players when they are on top to keep themselves there.

If he wants to stay we keep him. If he wants to go we find a win win.

Doesn't work anymore with the advent of FA. If Stewie walks, we'll get a third rounder at best and we'd be lucky to even get that.

Paul Stewart will be back very soon. If we were to trade him it would be because he can't make it at this level but he can and that will not happen with another club!

I actually think Stewart and Moore are the kind of players you need to be able to successfully turn over your list if you can get a good trade for them. If Brisbane for example come enquiring at years end, but he is contracted, then they would have to use their second rounder. And it would be a fair trade. This will give us a chance to keep topping up with top young talent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a free agent, people. We won't be trading him for anything, much less an early second rounder. If he goes, we get nothing. So we're better off convincing him to stay.

Unless we are dealing with a club who wants to protect its compo pick like we did with Pearce and Chaplin and gave Essendon a 3rd round pick for Gus, when we didn't have to.

Unless we are dealing with a club who wants to protect its compo pick like we did with Pearce and Chaplin and gave Essendon a 3rd round pick for Gus, when we didn't have to.

Doesn't happen often though. From memory that's the only time in the two years that a team has traded for a free agent, and it arose because of a very specific circumstance that won't come around too often.

Even then, we only gave up pick 48. Considering that it looks like we're approaching our premiership window, I'd rather keep Paul Stewart than get a pick in the 40's for him.

Doesn't happen often though. From memory that's the only time in the two years that a team has traded for a free agent, and it arose because of a very specific circumstance that won't come around too often.

Even then, we only gave up pick 48. Considering that it looks like we're approaching our premiership window, I'd rather keep Paul Stewart than get a pick in the 40's for him.

Yep me too. But not much we can do if he is pissed off at not getting enough game time and/or $$$. It will be interesting to see what he will do if we make a GF or PF and he just misses out and is an emergency like last finals.Will he stick around with the chance to win a flag?

stewart will play an important part in our team especially in a couple of months. make no doubt about it, geelong showed us nothing, neither will hawthorn, they arent going to give us their a game in may, come later in the year it wont be broadbent allowed to roam free across the half back line, they will man him up and play through him, i think its important that stewart comes in to play the rebounding defender type and it will free up broadbent to play on the wing, through the middle and even off the half forward line when we meet these teams later in the year.

He is probably the guy most likely to walk at the end of the season. He'd be in the best 22 of the majority of AFL teams, but he's not in ours. He's in the age range that a team like Brisbane that desperately needs players in the 24-28 age bracket would get somebody who they can plug and play immediately but they'll still get 4 or 5 years of service out of. I'd love him to stay because he ticks just about every box that you want your 23rd-30th players to tick, but I wouldn't begrudge him leaving for more opportunity whatsoever.

Doesn't work anymore with the advent of FA. If Stewie walks, we'll get a third rounder at best and we'd be lucky to even get that.

Agree with most of this.

Thing is, Stewart has been through all this pain already - over his journey with Port. If he leaves, it'll only be to farewell footy in Brisbane in 3-4 years time just as *they* start to come good in turn. And that's just about the best case scenario. Is it really worth the $ to go through all that again, Paul ? From a Brisbane perspective, he's a genuine utility all over the ground, an a-grade club man, puts his bloody head on the line when required, but also has a history of significant injury rather than durability. He's not the messiah for them nor is he that genuinely bigger bodied older player like Chad Cornes, Heath Shaw, are at GWS. I really hope he stays here and gets a chance to be this year's and next year's Logan. Every list needs a utility depth player or two, Stewart would be one of the better and more versatile ones in the comp.

Schulzenfest you know the GWS kids better than me, if Stewart's contract was up in October and he was one year short of free agency and the clubs would be forced to do a proper trade, what do you reckon would be a reasonable trade player and maybe pick wise for both clubs.

You mentioned Brisbane - some sort of hypothetical if he was only 7 years in the system not 8.

I dunno, maybe somebody like Jaksch, or Stewart + our 1st for Tomlinson. Bit of a moot point though.

Only mentioned Brisbane because their depth is so ****ed and they have very few players in their mid-20's. Stewart struggles to make our best 22 but he'd walk into Brisbane's with his eyes closed.

I'd rather keep Stewart and draft a good tall fwd with our first pick.

I'd rather keep Stewart and draft a good tall fwd with our first pick.

Yeah, why immediately fill the one hole that we currently have in our otherwise premiership ready side with a player who is already AFL quality and still has a decade of football ahead, when we can just draft somebody who won't be ready for a few years and will be behind Butcher, Shaw and Harvey in development anyway? We don't need a 4th young key forward, we need a second AFL ready key forward.

I know every club seems to have an obsession with going through the draft, but I would hope Port supporters especially would know better. Schulz, Ebert, Monfries, Polec, Hombsch and White say hi. It doesn't matter how you get quality players, what matters is that you get them. If anything you're better off trading them in at a young age than drafting them, because if you trade them in then you get to skip the first 2/3 years of development where most players (especially KPP's) aren't much good and get right to the good bits.

Yeah, why immediately fill the one hole that we currently have in our otherwise premiership ready side with a player who is already AFL quality and still has a decade of football ahead, when we can just draft somebody who won't be ready for a few years and will be behind Butcher, Shaw and Harvey in development anyway? We don't need a 4th young key forward, we need a second AFL ready key forward.

I know every club seems to have an obsession with going through the draft, but I would hope Port supporters especially would know better. Schulz, Ebert, Monfries, Polec, Hombsch and White say hi. It doesn't matter how you get quality players, what matters is that you get them. If anything you're better off trading them in at a young age than drafting them, because if you trade them in then you get to skip the first 2/3 years of development where most players (especially KPP's) aren't much good and get right to the good bits.

IMO next year Redden will hopefully be ready. Mitch Harvey should get half a dozen games in. Butcher could improve with his 2nd injury free preseason. Shaw will need more time.

I think the 3rd tall we are looking for is in our list right now. I'm just saying draft another KPF because we lack KPF depth as well as in the Ruck depth.

EDIT: Even if Clurey steps up next year and lets Trengove go more in the ruck that allows Lobbe to spend a bit of time fwd too

I think the 3rd tall we are looking for is in our list right now. I'm just saying draft another KPF because we lack KPF depth as well as in the Ruck depth.

EDIT: Even if Clurey steps up next year and lets Trengove go more in the ruck that allows Lobbe to spend a bit of time fwd too

We lack KPF depth because all our KPF's are kids. Drafting more kids won't fix that. What is it with Bigfooty and not understanding that? Not just you RossFC, this misconception seems to plague this whole site.

Same goes for rucks. If we're gonna replace Renouf it needs to be with somebody who will be AFL ready by next year at the latest, for example Lycett. We can't draft an 18 year old ruck or an 18 year old KPF and expect them to boost our depth in the short term.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back