PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Thinking about dipping my toe into the water with a 4K screen, anyone have any recommendations? Preferably a 32inch screen as that’s what I’m used to but could look a 27inch if I can’t find anything I like. Currently running a 1440p 144hz

I find 27inc 4k a bit small without upscaling due to pixel density. 32 seems the sweet spot. LG have some really good ones.

What's it for though? Because 4k gaming is brutal on the requirements. I was looking at getting one a little while ago for media and productivity myself.

I know CES isn't really that big for PC hardware unlike Computex, but I thought it was kind of disappointing too. Thought maybe we'd see some more cases or something. Only thing that I need a better look at is the Phanteks p500a. Otherwise if nothing else is coming out this year that ticks all my boxes of both function and aesthetic then I'm just going to grab the Meshify S2 tinted soon and put it away while there is stock.

Reckon with Cyberpunk delay that puts ampere around September too and a game code shipping with 3000 series (assuming the name) cards.

I'm really looking forward to Cyberpunk.

Delay sucks donkey balls.

I find 27inc 4k a bit small without upscaling due to pixel density. 32 seems the sweet spot. LG have some really good ones.

What's it for though? Because 4k gaming is brutal on the requirements. I was looking at getting one a little while ago for media and productivity myself.
Gaming, I run a 2080/3900x system so I shouldn’t have any issues playing in 4K

I know CES isn't really that big for PC hardware unlike Computex, but I thought it was kind of disappointing too. Thought maybe we'd see some more cases or something. Only thing that I need a better look at is the Phanteks p500a. Otherwise if nothing else is coming out this year that ticks all my boxes of both function and aesthetic then I'm just going to grab the Meshify S2 tinted soon and put it away while there is stock.

CES is about mainstream electronics, weird nerds who try to make their basements light up like Vegas aren't really their target audience. The best bit about CES is that it means there will be a lot of cheap deals on old models happening very shortly.

CES is about mainstream electronics, weird nerds who try to make their basements light up like Vegas aren't really their target audience. The best bit about CES is that it means there will be a lot of cheap deals on old models happening very shortly.

The manufacturers are going though and showing off things like coolers that no one cares about. It's like an "almost" event if that makes sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not even WCCFT have jumped on this one yet so probably nothing. Dubious source too (I don't understand Chinese).

Nothing major yet other than 3080 and 3070 spotted. 20gb definitely sounds too rich for the 103. Reckon that will be just for the Quadro, with the 102 (3080ti) somewhere around the 16 mark, NVIDIA won't allow the gaming card push too close to the Titan.

Not even WCCFT have jumped on this one yet so probably nothing. Dubious source too (I don't understand Chinese).

Nothing major yet other than 3080 and 3070 spotted. 20gb definitely sounds too rich for the 103. Reckon that will be just for the Quadro, with the 102 (3080ti) somewhere around the 16 mark, NVIDIA won't allow the gaming card push too close to the Titan.

20GB doesn't sound too out there when you consider the consumer push for 4K performance. The RTX Titan has 24GB as it is, and seeing as this is a new generation I doubt they'll have too many issues leapfrogging older models no matter the pricetag

20GB doesn't sound too out there when you consider the consumer push for 4K performance. The RTX Titan has 24GB as it is, and seeing as this is a new generation I doubt they'll have too many issues leapfrogging older models no matter the pricetag

Considering the jump from Maxwell to Pascal I don't think it's out of the question either, I just don't think they will "allow" the xx80ti to get too close to a Titan card considering it's like double the cost. That's the Ampere Titan that is, I agree it won't necessarily be an issue beating a previous gen card. This is presumably why they didn't do a 2080ti Super even though they reserved a SKU for it.

Wccft are only going off the same source but are a little more informative about what they may be. They're running with the 20gb on the GA103 like you reckon dav3 . If they've got the 104 (3070) at 16gb, at a punt where would you think the 102/3080ti would land? Around 25gb?

Wccft are only going off the same source but are a little more informative about what they may be. They're running with the 20gb on the GA103 like you reckon dav3 . If they've got the 104 (3070) at 16gb, at a punt where would you think the 102/3080ti would land? Around 25gb?

Not sure of the maths, but I'm guessing around 24GB

Kids, make sure your thermal paste is applied properly.

I'd suspected mine was a bit off, but hitting 95C on Prime95 with watercooling didn't seem quite right to me.

Took it all apart and yep, the paste hadn't spread to 1/2 the chip.

Much better temps now with a proper re-apply.

Reinstalled Division 2 to prepare myself for Gear 2.0. Biggest performance hit on ultrawide I've experienced yet. Before at 1440p 16:9 I was around 80fps typically with everything set to ultra. Same settings and just changing the resolution to 3440x1440 and it was tanking around 45-60. Tried to drop it to the high preset and then tweak but couldn't do better than around ~60. Ended up using Geforce Experience auto optimise to get a baseline then started tweaking via HUB's Div 2 optimisation guide. Have a nice 100'ish frames now but a lot of it is set to medium and it shows. 3080ti can't come soon enough.

I vaguely remember Tim from HUB saying that 1440p Ultrawide was basically right in the middle between 1440p and 4k in terms of hardware requirements, but your experience there seems worse than that

Everything else has been about a 10-15% impact on frames with the same settings. It's just something about Division 2 and not scaling too well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back