PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Cheers, currently have

G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3200C16D-16GTZR 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4

Yeah, been reading about that and does make me nervous. Not sure what else is out there in a comparable price range.

Not too fussed about supplier, I know people around these parts have had various issues with guys like PLE etc.

Did see some 3080ti cards for around 2.5k on Shopping Express and PLE (via your Discord link...thanks again)

Like my earlier post, seeing some 3080 10Gb going down in price with the 3080 12Gb being recently announced, so hard to know when to pull the trigger.

Re: RAM look for something 3600 if you can. Don't have to splurge on low and tight timings if you don't want but to make the most of that Ryzen 5800x you want RAM that is factory tuned to OC to 3600 to match 1:1 the FCLK (1800mhz). Once you settle on a motherboard then let us know and we can look up the QVL to see what RAM is best.

I know its the way of the world but gosh its annoying that the video card is the most expensive component and often double the price of the rest of the components combined!!

Looks at 3990x

Not too fussed about supplier, I know people around these parts have had various issues with guys like PLE etc.

No issues at all for me buying 6900xt from PLE.

Have you considered going AMD for GPU? 6900XT is a beast. If you're not fussed about DLSS and ray tracing a 6800XT or 6900XT are great options.

No issues at all for me buying 6900xt from PLE.

Have you considered going AMD for GPU? 6900XT is a beast. If you're not fussed about DLSS and ray tracing a 6800XT or 6900XT are great options.

Def keen to go down the RTX path for ray tracing mate. The decision making has just been to decide between the 3080 or 3080ti and when. Love to get a 3090 but way above of my budget.

Re: RAM look for something 3600 if you can. Don't have to splurge on low and tight timings if you don't want but to make the most of that Ryzen 5800x you want RAM that is factory tuned to OC to 3600 to match 1:1 the FCLK (1800mhz). Once you settle on a motherboard then let us know and we can look up the QVL to see what RAM is best.

Thanks heaps mate.

Trying to find a board that doesn't require flashing for the 5800x but don't think there are many that aren't in the couple of hundred bucks range?

Thanks heaps mate.

Trying to find a board that doesn't require flashing for the 5800x but don't think there are many that aren't in the couple of hundred bucks range?

I would have thought any motherboard built from 2021 would be Zen 3 ready. Easily done though if the motherboard supports USB flashing.

Thanks heaps mate.

If you get a board with BIOS flashback it's not hard. Hell I could manage it!

And some retailers will flash for you for a small fee.

I would have thought any motherboard built from 2021 would be Zen 3 ready. Easily done though if the motherboard supports USB flashing.
I would have thought so too.

MSI b550 gaming carbon wifi bought in October needed to be flashed for 5600X.

Took about 15 minutes to get sorted.

Cheers mate, will look tomorrow.

Anyone purchased from Techfast? Thinking of waiting a little longer and getting from one of Scorptec, PCCG, Centrecom etc. Looks like 3080 and now 3080ti prices are starting to go down a smidge.

Will be interesting to see where prices go. At some point (not soon soon, but sometime later this year soon) 3000 series stock will be cleared to make way for 4000. If the demand is still high by the time production ceases then the price may never really normalise. It's probably to the point where you put your own value on something and just pull the trigger when you're ready. ~$2300 for a 3080ti probably isn't that bad considering a lot of us still paid $1600-1800 for the 3080 around launch. Closer to $2000 I think is more sensible but who knows if it will get there and it that will just increase demand again. It's going to be your call the price you put on it I think.

Just reading around the net I think another hot product this year will be the 42" OLED monitors regardless of brand. I think I might have to be ready to just blindly preorder one once that's available. Let's hope they don't break the bank lol. We're supposed to be buying an apartment this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers mate, will look tomorrow.

Anyone purchased from Techfast? Thinking of waiting a little longer and getting from one of Scorptec, PCCG, Centrecom etc. Looks like 3080 and now 3080ti prices are starting to go down a smidge.

Recent lurker round these parts, but I bought a 3060 from techfast a few weeks back and service was good. Had it within a week of ordering (shipped to ACT). Also bought from PLE recently and their turnaround was good. Although have read less positive reviews of each too, so ymmv.

Will be interesting to see where prices go. At some point (not soon soon, but sometime later this year soon) 3000 series stock will be cleared to make way for 4000. If the demand is still high by the time production ceases then the price may never really normalise. It's probably to the point where you put your own value on something and just pull the trigger when you're ready. ~$2300 for a 3080ti probably isn't that bad considering a lot of us still paid $1600-1800 for the 3080 around launch. Closer to $2000 I think is more sensible but who knows if it will get there and it that will just increase demand again. It's going to be your call the price you put on it I think.

Just reading around the net I think another hot product this year will be the 42" OLED monitors regardless of brand. I think I might have to be ready to just blindly preorder one once that's available. Let's hope they don't break the bank lol. We're supposed to be buying an apartment this year.
Recent lurker round these parts, but I bought a 3060 from techfast a few weeks back and service was good. Had it within a week of ordering (shipped to ACT). Also bought from PLE recently and their turnaround was good. Although have read less positive reviews of each too, so ymmv.

Thanks fellas.

Bout to start a much better paying job, but not in a position to dump over 2k in one hit. Techmart charge around a $100 for other payment methods.

Throwing up between these two now 3080/3080ti and re-assesing the 4k debate in my head. 3080 is $1900 and 3080ti $2400

Too much stress haha.

How's this for a start?

Prob use my existing ram and get cheaper ram for the missus on my current rig that I'm passing on, as well as SSD.

Wondering though whether it's worth sacrificing playing on the TV and getting a far cheaper card.....or just wait a few more months

Want to future proof as possible but playing things on high doesn't usually last long does it?

View attachment 1310811

As far a new build goes, am I better keeping current windows install on the SSD in the new build or just going a fresh install?
Just a couple of thoughts to throw into the mix.

12700K is at a similar price point to the 5800X and from all accounts smokes it across all benchmarks.

The new 3080 12GB is almost at the same level as the 3080 Ti so might be worth considering.

For example:

12700K plus Z690 DDR4 mobo bundle for $899 - https://www.shoppingexpress.com.au/...em-tray-lga-1700-cpu/12700KZ690-A-ELITE-AX-D4

EVGA FTW3 3080 12GB - $2349- https://www.ple.com.au/Products/650933/eVGA-GeForce-RTX-3080-FTW3-Ultra-LHR-12GB-GDDR6X

Much better suited PSU (and very good deal while stocks last) - EVGA 850W Gold $189 - https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/power-supplies/atx/83209-220-g5-0850-x4

Might cost a couple of hundred more but the newer Intel CPUs seem to be where it's at - if you wanted to go to the i5 12600K it looks like it matches th3 5800X and is a bit cheaper.

Bout to start a much better paying job, but not in a position to dump over 2k in one hit. Techmart charge around a $100 for other payment methods.

Throwing up between these two now 3080/3080ti and re-assesing the 4k debate in my head. 3080 is $1900 and 3080ti $2400

How much of a hurry are you to get your build done?

I saved a shitload by buying parts over a few months and snapping up parts when on sale.

How much of a hurry are you to get your build done?

I saved a shitload by buying parts over a few months and snapping up parts when on sale.

Not a huuuge rush, but want to get the card sorted so I can start chipping away at getting the other parts.

Had a look at the 3080 12GB versions but price wise are too close to the 3080ti.

Def a toss up between the 3080 and 3080ti at the mo.

dwwaino - san, what do you reckon out of 3080 vs 3080ti from Umart?

Thanks fellas.

Too much stress haha.

Thanks fellas.

Too much stress haha.

Thought about the 6800 or the 6900?

dwwaino - san, what do you reckon out of 3080 vs 3080ti from Umart?

I prefer that particular 3080ti over the 3080 because I'm personally not a fan of blower styles, but whether that's worth $500 more is a tough one. Any other 3080s popping up for around that price? I think I'd lean towards any 3080 sub $2000, but anything over and I'd personally just reach for the 3080ti if I'm spending that already. That's just how I am with money though so that's a pretty subjective sort of metric.

I know you're deadset on future proofing with 4K option though and the 3080ti has that covered with the increased VRAM alone. The 3080 is nothing to sneeze at, is a 4K capable card and will last for years but who knows with bigger and bigger texture budgets in games, how widespread will DLSS get etc. The only knock on the 3080 is how future proof is the 10gb of memory? I'll be looking to upgrade to 4K gaming this year but I'm not concerned about future proofing as I'll most likely be after a 4000 series lol.

Last edited:
I prefer that particular 3080ti over the 3080 because I'm personally not a fan of blower styles, but whether that's worth $500 more is a tough one. Any other 3080s popping up for around that price? I think I'd lean towards any 3080 sub $2000, but anything over and I'd personally just reach for the 3080ti if I'm spending that already. That's just how I am with money though so that's a pretty subjective sort of metric.

I know you're deadset on future proofing with 4K option though and the 3080ti has that covered with the increased VRAM alone. The 3080 is nothing to sneeze at, is a 4K capable card and will last for years but who knows with bigger and bigger texture budgets in games, how widespread will DLSS get etc. The only knock on the 3080 is how future proof is the 10gb of memory? I'll be looking to upgrade to 4K gaming this year but I'm not concerned about future proofing as I'll most likely be after a 4000 series lol.

Very good points! Take it 4000 series are going to retail for anything less than 2000 though are they? Just dont want to regret it in 6-8 months.

Thought about the 6800 or the 6900?

Yeah but ray tracing and DLSS are dealbreakers for me.

Very good points! Take it 4000 series are going to retail for anything less than 2000 though are they? Just dont want to regret it in 6-8 months.

Yeah but ray tracing and DLSS are dealbreakers for me.

I'm anticipating the 4000 series to be a similar situation to the 3000 lol. I know there were yield issues on the 10nm and 4000 is supposedly going on a 5nm so who knows, maybe that will improve. The precedent in price is set now though so I'm already mentally prepared and will put aside the cash so it just is what it is.

I don't think you'll regret anything in 6-8 months. Even the 3070 is a solid card that will last for years. As new tech comes out games will just push their limits further so I don't think you can expect to be at the cutting edge for 2-3+ years, no matter what you get. The 3080 will last as a high end gaming card throughout the 4000 lifetime, but the 3080ti may just give you that little extra headroom to last a little longer from the memory alone. Optimising games for 4K on the 3080 will still out perform both console though. I gave my 1080ti rig to my brother in law and he's amazed that he can make some games look and perform better on his 4K TV than his PS5. The 1080ti may lack some of the newer fancier tech and APIs of the consoles but it still holds its own in pure horsepower.

I'm anticipating the 4000 series to be a similar situation to the 3000 lol. I know there were yield issues on the 10nm and 4000 is supposedly going on a 5nm so who knows, maybe that will improve. The precedent in price is set now though so I'm already mentally prepared and will put aside the cash so it just is what it is.

I don't think you'll regret anything in 6-8 months. Even the 3070 is a solid card that will last for years. As new tech comes out games will just push their limits further so I don't think you can expect to be at the cutting edge for 2-3+ years, no matter what you get. The 3080 will last as a high end gaming card throughout the 4000 lifetime, but the 3080ti may just give you that little extra headroom to last a little longer from the memory alone. Optimising games for 4K on the 3080 will still out perform both console though. I gave my 1080ti rig to my brother in law and he's amazed that he can make some games look and perform better on his 4K TV than his PS5. The 1080ti may lack some of the newer fancier tech and APIs of the consoles but it still holds its own in pure horsepower.

Thanks again mate. Need to PM your deets so I can send you a slab for all the advice you've given me lol.

Spoken about it before, but we're guys that probably spend bugger all with our IRL mates, don't go on piss and work hard. Sometimes the adult in you speaks to loud haha.

Also

Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220119-183839.png
    Screenshot_20220119-183839.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 22
Thanks again mate. Need to PM your deets so I can send you a slab for all the advice you've given me lol.

Spoken about it before, but we're guys that probably spend bugger all with our IRL mates, don't go on piss and work hard. Sometimes the adult in you speaks to loud haha.

Also

Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

Oh man I feel guilty for upselling 😂. You won't be disappointed though.

You're right though, I hardly spend money on IRL stuff anymore. I don't drink anymore, hardly go out anywhere, don't buy as much random junk so I've had more expendable cash to blow on PC and gaming stuff. I think that's why the missus is fine with it most of the time because she knows I don't buy much else for myself any more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back