Peter Wright contact with Harry Cunningham: Pleads Guilty and Receives 4 Week Suspension

How long will Peter be in the sin bin?

• 0 weeks

Votes: 33 13.9%
  • 1 week

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • 2 weeks

Votes: 22 9.2%
  • 3 weeks

Votes: 53 22.3%
  • 4 weeks

Votes: 76 31.9%
  • 5 weeks

Votes: 26 10.9%
  • 6+ weeks

Votes: 22 9.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon Wright is a bit unlucky here, looks to me like he was going for a mark and braced at the last second when he realised contact was gonna be made.

Feel for the Sydney dude though.
You can protect yourself and others using your hands, he isn't unlucky, he used poor judgement and poor technique.

He was going for the mark with eyes on the ball and turned into the contact when he realised a collision was imminent.

Should be cleared, will probably get weeks. If it was September he'd get off.

Reckon Wright is a bit unlucky here, looks to me like he was going for a mark and braced at the last second when he realised contact was gonna be made.

Feel for the Sydney dude though.
You know, when you “brace” for contact. Your genuinely turning away from the direction of said contact or covering your face.

Wright turns in with his shoulder that is outside the line of the contest.

It’s absolutely brutal.

5 weeks.

No debate about this.

Attachments

• 1711271676122.png
    1711271676122.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
You know, when you “brace” for contact. Your genuinely turning away from the direction of said contact or covering your face.

It’s absolutely brutal.

5 weeks.

No debate about this.
I can see where you're coming from, but I don't agree. I think the turning of the shoulder thing is actually just bracing for impact. It happened in less than a second after all. Looks pretty bad when you slow the footage down tho.

I can see where you're coming from, but I don't agree. I think the turning of the shoulder thing is actually just bracing for impact. It happened in less than a second after all. Looks pretty bad when you slow the footage down tho.
So in less then a second he can turn the shoulder furthest from the play into Cunningham.

But he can’t in that time extend his hands for a mark, spoil, or in a position that genuinely reflects a “brace”.

The game today isn’t the same game 5,10,15,20 years ago mate. Probably acceptable back then.

It’s just a cop out when people are trying to defend Wright here. He is off the ground and runs over the opposition player in a game the swans have already come out in the post game saying they were being targeted physically

So in less then a second he can turn the shoulder furthest from the play into Cunningham.

But he can’t in that time extend his hands for a mark, spoil, or in a position that genuinely reflects a “brace”.
IMO he has his eyes on the ball and then launches himself to mark the ball, at which point Cunningham comes into his vision, and in that brief moment, he braces. Instinctively. I don't believe many people would be capable of making a conscious decision at that moment, there's just not enough time to evaluate the situation and decide between continuing for the mark, or spoiling etc.

The game today isn’t the same game 5,10,15,20 years ago mate. Probably acceptable back then.

It’s just a cop out when people are trying to defend Wright here. He is off the ground and runs over the opposition player in a game the swans have already come out in the post game saying they were being targeted physically
This is a lot of emotive conjecture, and also irrelevant.
FWIW I don't have "skin in this game", I don't give a shit about Essendon, I have no reason to defend Wright or the action.

Just calling it as I see it.

It’s absolutely brutal.

5 weeks.

No debate about this.
You’re completely right, why spin into him. He could have turned away.

IMO he has his eyes on the ball and then launches himself to mark the ball, at which point Cunningham comes into his vision, and in that brief moment, he braces. Instinctively. I don't believe many people would be capable of making a conscious decision at that moment, there's just not enough time to evaluate the situation and decide between continuing for the mark, or spoiling etc.

This is a lot of emotive conjecture, and also irrelevant.
FWIW I don't have "skin in this game", I don't give a s**t about Essendon, I have no reason to defend Wright or the action.

Just calling it as I see it.
So he has eyes for the ball but can’t see the player in his line of sight and can’t tell he is getting to the ball second or that there will be a collision?

and emotive conjecture? Mate I couldn’t care less about the outcome.

It’s hilarious how anyone can defend the actions here and simultaneously omit line of sight of the player and having the time to turn his should that’s outside the line of contact but not a raise a hand or genuinely brace.

It’s a genuine 5 weeker. There isn’t anything unfair about this.

So he has eyes for the ball but can’t see the player in his line of sight
I am fairly certain that the ball is in the air.
I am also fairly certain that Harry Cunningham is NOT in the air.

Ergo, Harry Cunningham is actually not in Peter Wright's line of sight.

I couldn’t care less about the outcome.
I don't believe you.

Back