Aug 11, 2004
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
None
Where do I sign?

Collingwood should of jumped at it as it would be highway robbery

trading in pick 1 for Rowell a player 8 years younger, and will be at least as good, with the possibility that his best mate Anderson would eventually move to join him sounds too good to be true.

If this was really an option for Collingwood, why in gods name did they not force it to happen?

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I sort of took it as the clubs were joking around. Unless Collingwood are ultra concerned about Moore JDG and Grundy all wanting massive $$ when they re sign. And they are going to struggle to cover it.
Getting Rowell ensures a gun mid to replace Treloar to. Obviously some development required.

Seems like you just described all melbourne players from the last 20yrs lol
Not all but a very high percentage of them, yes.

We have been s**t for majority of the last 20 years so that is no surprise and doesn't take away from Treloar not being close to being worth pick 1

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Why are some Richmond fans still so obsessed with Treloar?

Won 2 of the last 3 premierships and still this insecure...

He is a very good player and is just entering his prime now, makes no sense for Collingwood to do the trade even if he entertained it.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Why are some Richmond fans still so obsessed with Treloar?

Won 2 of the last 3 premierships and still this insecure...

He is a very player and is just entering his prime now, makes no sense for Collingwood to do the trade even if he entertained it.
Furthermore he’s a very good person who does heaps for others off the field, salt of the earth. You have to have some real deficiencies up north to have problems with Treloar.

No one offered pick 1 for Clayton Oliver.
This isn't the thread to compare a 22 year old who has been AA, won 2 b&fs, AFLCA best young player and had 2 top 10 finished in the AFLCA award to a 26 year old who stands out getting lots of ineffective possessions

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Aside from the fact that Treloar would never agree, we still over rate draft picks somewhat, even if it is pick 1.

Here are the picks 1's from 1986 - 2014 (recent years too early to tell or compare with Treloar properly). Bolded are who I would definitely want over Treloar...

Leslie, Lounder, McDonald, Banik, Hooper, Hutton, Banfield, Gaspar, White, Waterhouse, Gardiner, Johnstone, Headland, Fraser, Riewoldt, Hodge, Goddard, Cooney, Deledio, Murphy, Gibbs, Kreuzer, Watts, Scully, Swallow, Patton, Whitfield, Boyd, McCartin.

That's 3 number 1 picks (out of 29!) I've picked ahead of Treloar with Deledio and Goddard in the mix too. Even if it 5 or 6 out of 29, that's still less 20% chance of getting somwone better than Treloar.

Not as obvious as it seems.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Aside from the fact that Treloar would never agree, we still over rate draft picks somewhat, even if it is pick 1.

Here are the picks 1's from 1986 - 2014 (recent years too early to tell or compare with Treloar properly). Bolded are who I would definitely want over Treloar...

Leslie, Lounder, McDonald, Banik, Hooper, Hutton, Banfield, Gaspar, White, Waterhouse, Gardiner, Johnstone, Headland, Fraser, Riewoldt, Hodge, Goddard, Cooney, Deledio, Murphy, Gibbs, Kreuzer, Watts, Scully, Swallow, Patton, Whitfield, Boyd, McCartin.

That's 3 number 1 picks (out of 29!) I've picked ahead of Treloar with Deledio and Goddard in the mix too. Even if it 5 or 6 out of 29, that's still less 20% chance of getting somwone better than Treloar.

Not as obvious as it seems.
You don't know if you'd take Dids or Goddard over Treloar?

Treloar would have to agree and why would you leave the Pies for Gold Coast?

Exactly and I doubt it was a serious discussion

Pies would have said throw someone at us and GC said Treloar

No way they are trading picks 1 and 2 that's the future

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You don't know if you'd take Dids or Goddard over Treloar?

I most likely would, particularly Deledio (but it wasn't an obvious and easy choice at first glance like Riewoldt, Hodge, etc - which I though it should be given everyone thinks it is laughable that he be traded for that pick). Having said that, I was comparing Treloar vs Goddard head to head rather than factoring in half a career vs a full career - which would put Goddard and Deledio ahead (and maybe 1 or 2 others).

Still, that is only 5 or 6 out of 29 as first stated si te point stands.

Weller for pick 2 is a crazy trade. Treloar for pick 1 is not that far off (when you look a it closely) IMO.

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'd be all for this if it happened.

Firstly it'd free up about 700k or whatever Treloar is on, making it easier to hold onto JDG, Moore and Grundy.

Rowell probably plays a contributing role next year and soon enough becomes a better player than Treloar, and lot only that is around until 2030+.

I've got no doubt his NAB league numbers of 40+ and goals will transfer into the AFL eventually. And big game players in these types of comps also seem to transfer across.

This week he has been at the Sunshine Coast and now Noosa. Just go a bit further south, Adam. And your girlfriend isn't playing netball next season, so... may as well raise your kid on the Coast 😂

Back