Delisted #19: Kobe Mutch - Not offered a contract for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

In response to some of the comments about Mutch being, what amounts to, "vanilla".

There are plenty of great players in the AFL who just know the game and possess no real stand-out physical attribute. Some of these guys were drafted early in drafts and some were taken as mature aged rookies (and everything in between). It's something I'd only be concerned about with the really early picks when you've got the opportunity to take the best player in a draft (it being almost a given that the best are a combination of unique physical attributes and excellent footballers).

I think that, whether or not it ought to ever be a concern, is, like most things, a question of balance. In a draft in which midfielders are a priority, the ball magnet (who, mind you, kicks well off both feet) has his place in the conversation by default. The ability to find the ball at will is the attribute which translates to AFL.

In this case, considering that two of the midfield options taken before him were explosive, powerful athletes I would not have thought that there would be any reservation about taking Mutch regardless of whether he is one paced (if that is what posters are concerned about). That we have added a number of genuinely quick and powerful athletes to the list in the last 3 drafts only emphasises the point.

Will watch Mutch with interest in the VFL next year.

Lachie Neals pretty Vanilla. Who wouldve thought a 177cm, slow, avg kick would be on 700k a year, breaking afl disposal records and pushing his name right up into the category of best players in the comp.

If hes half as good ill be happy

Lachie Neals pretty Vanilla. Who wouldve thought a 177cm, slow, avg kick would be on 700k a year, breaking afl disposal records and pushing his name right up into the category of best players in the comp.

If hes half as good ill be happy

Lachie is an inside midfieder, is he not?

Kobe seems an outside, link up midfielder

Lachie is an inside midfieder, is he not?

Kobe seems an outside, link up midfielder

Lachie is but point was vanilla midfielders and that they can still be elite amongst the afl.

Kobe will do both. Daniel cross role. Bit on the wing, bit onball, bit shutdown/job when required and maybe drift across half back.

That night Jobe Watson gave Mutch a call to welcome him to the Club and just a few days later the new teammates were slugging it out side by side during the Dons pre-season camp at HMAS Cerberus.
:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Judging by some of the photos on social media from the camp, Kobe has glued himself to Jobe haha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Parish is stoked to be able to work with Mutch, young Darcy was heard to be saying that while Kobe's hair is a work in progress, with a bit of hard work it will soon match his own awesome locks.

Kobe - 75% there View attachment 314569

Darcy - 100% there View attachment 314567

Looks like someone I think.

show_image.php

Hopefully Kobe can be 100 times better than Mark Whiley.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back