Pick your all-time Australia v England Ashes line-up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Combined:

_98767878_ashes_xi_final_editorial.png

Anderson? I know they felt they had to shoehorn a Pom in there, but Anderson? He's not even THEIR best Ashes quick.

Also, Boycott over Hutton?

Botham over Miller I can live with. Just.

My Teams are from those who have played in Test Matches between Australia and England

Australia

Trumper
Ponsford
Bradman (C)
G Chappell
Ponting
Smith
Gilchrist
Miller
O'Reilly
Spofforth
McGrath

England

Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Hutton
Hammond
Grace (C)
Barrington
Botham
Knott
Rhodes
Barnes
Richardson

Note the depth in both teams. Rhodes could bat at 11 or 1 and at one time had the world records for both those two wickets. Grace could opening the batting and bowling

Both Hammond and Chappell can bowl a few overs.

Both teams have centurions at 8 and England have one at 9!!!!

Smith a selection that may be premature.

My Teams are from those who have played in Test Matches between Australia and England

Australia

Trumper
Ponsford
Bradman (C)
G Chappell
Ponting
Smith
Gilchrist
Miller
O'Reilly
Spofforth
McGrath

England

Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Hutton
Hammond
Grace (C)
Barrington
Botham
Knott
Rhodes
Barnes
Richardson

Note the depth in both teams. Rhodes could bat at 11 or 1 and at one time had the world records for both those two wickets. Grace could opening the batting and bowling

It's difficult to compare keepers at any time, let alone when you haven't seen them; but until the advent of Gilchrist, Les Ames was regarded as the greatest keeper-batsman of all time, and has a far superior batting record to Knott.

It's difficult to compare keepers at any time, let alone when you haven't seen them; but until the advent of Gilchrist, Les Ames was regarded as the greatest keeper-batsman of all time, and has a far superior batting record to Knott.
I'd put Andy Flower in that conversation too.

But Frederick after all you are old enough to tell us.
Rumour has it you went to school with Victor Trumper :eek:

Australia

Trumper
Ponsford
Bradman (C)
G Chappell
Ponting
Smith
Gilchrist
Miller
O'Reilly
Spofforth
McGrath

England

Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Hutton
Hammond
Grace (C)
Barrington
Botham
Knott
Rhodes
Barnes
Richardson

Where are Lillee and Warne?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s 35 and he actually averages in the 20s on 3 of the 5 Australian grounds he’s played at.

But he shouldn’t be in this team.
Take away two English grounds, and his overall average against Australia is 41 (and 43 before this series); it's not just over here that he has been largely ineffectual against us.

I don't know anything about the BBC Survey, but he shouldn't even be in the conversation.
Maybe an example of recency bias.

It’s 35 and he actually averages in the 20s on 3 of the 5 Australian grounds he’s played at.

But he shouldn’t be in this team.
boosted his average at the adelaide oval when it was hooping, he averaged about 38 there before it hes a medium pace trundler out here

And? Wow, a swing bowler thriving when it’s swinging. Next you’ll tell me Terry Alderman was at his peak in England.
point stand campaigners a medium pace poo thrower when it isnt hooping

Need more specifics?

If we are talking based on their prime ashes performances then Johnson is second picked in the side.

Behind Bradman or Cook?

Dangerous territory if you just start isolating one or two amazing series efforts
Which is why I'm seeking clarification.

There's been fantastic players who have had average ashes series in a lot of these lists.

I would agree with the above comment but Knott was the keeper for England when I first got interested in cricket. He was so much better than the young Rod Marsh even a 10 year old could notice it.

There are few comments on Ames' keeping that I have seen while Knott is regarded as a marvellous keeper.

The batting is strong enough anyway

Where are Lillee and Warne?
O'Reilly was regarded as by far the greatest bowler of his time. No room for two leggies in my team. Remember when Warnie was dropped for Funky Miller. We had another leggie (Magill) in the team, at the time, and they did not work together. O'Reilly was never dropped for anyone.

Lillee was a great show man but McGrath was a FAR better bowler. Their respective averages show what I am on about. With McGrath in the team Australia always won. Australia's dominance of that period was due largely to McGrath.

Spofforth or Lillee is an argument that you can have, but look up your 'Cricket. A Weekly Record of the Game' for the 1880s and you will see that Spofforth was 'the man'. who first entered cricketing consciousness as a 'Demon (his nickname) fast bowler', a tradition that Lillee followed in but was not the originator.

O'Reilly was regarded as by far the greatest bowler of his time. No room for two leggies in my team. Remember when Warnie was dropped for Funky Miller. We had another leggie (Magill) in the team, at the time, and they did not work together. O'Reilly was never dropped for anyone.

Lillee was a great show man but McGrath was a FAR better bowler. Their respective averages show what I am on about. With McGrath in the team Australia always won. Australia's dominance of that period was due largely to McGrath.

Spofforth or Lillee is an argument that you can have, but look up your 'Cricket. A Weekly Record of the Game' for the 1880s and you will see that Spofforth was 'the man'. who first entered cricketing consciousness as a 'Demon (his nickname) fast bowler', a tradition that Lillee followed in but was not the originator.
Matter of opinion obviuosly.
Warne and Lillee were both match winners, and did it test after test.
Both fought back from adversity to be simply the best.
Would be the first 2 picked in my team.

There is 0.07 difference in Lillee and McGrath’s averages against England. And McGrath played against some of the worst English teams of all time. Your argument makes next to no sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back