News Pies drop Leading Teams

Remove this Banner Ad

So do we delist every player and start again or develop something that suits our playing group.

You can't create a program and say this works with 100% of teams, you either have the cattle for it or you don't.
Appears we don't..

Leading Teams isn't the only avenue for success.

Firstly lets not assume that ending LT, is an admission of failure.
It may simply be the case that their work is done and that their processes have been embedded.

Its ridiculous to suggest you 'either have the cattle or you don't" - LT is about personal accountability in a team environment as a means to success.

Accountability is the responsibility of ALL CATTLE.

agree with bolded. Think your example (whilst having a different point) shows a poor leader. A strong, iron fisted leader wouldn't accept that questioning and would kill the questioning individual and ask:
Anyone else got a question?
Haha and in that, he reduces the numbers of braves and ensures defeat.
Epitaph
Here lies Chief Running Wolf, dishonourably discharged and despatched ten of his thirty braves and bravely led the remaining twenty to a hasty defeat.

Firstly lets not assume that ending LT, is an admission of failure.
It may simply be the case that their work is done and that their processes have been embedded.

Its ridiculous to suggest you 'either have the cattle or you don't" - LT is about personal accountability in a team environment as a means to success.

Accountability is the responsibility of ALL CATTLE.

Given the list turnover in the last 2 seasons i highly doubt it's embedded.

Hopefully it's clarified on why it's ended, but i stand by the comments.

You either have a majority that can handle the criticism that comes with LT or you don't.

And from what I've heard from sources attatched to players, alot of them hated it.

End of the day.. it's gone so whatever system the club will implement, hoping its for the better.

Welp, this is Gubby's Club now...

Good news. From all reports, we just don't have the kind of players that have relationships that would lend well to the LT "honesty system". It would explain a lot of our issues over Buckley's tenure.

What is so complex or onerous about an 'honesty system" that grown men would have a problem with?

It is far more likely that we've learnt from LT and now wish to move on because, LT have nothing more to offer - as is the case with any consultants working with clubs or businesses.

Given the list turnover in the last 2 seasons i highly doubt it's embedded.

Hopefully it's clarified on why it's ended, but i stand by the comments.

You either have a majority that can handle the criticism that comes with LT or you don't.

And from what I've heard from sources attatched to players, alot of them hated it.

End of the day.. it's gone so whatever system the club will implement, hoping its for the better.

The list turnover may actually be EXACTLY the reason it is embedded as those not on board were traded - just as Roos did when using LT at the Swans.

You are kidding yourself if you believe that the fundamentals of ACCOUNTABILITY that LT is trying to build in a team, are not a critical pathway to success.

Frankley its irrelevant if the players hated LT - they probably hate weight session too, but that's not a reason to get rid of them.

The list turnover may actually be EXACTLY the reason it is embedded as those not on board were traded - just as Roos did when using LT at the Swans.

You are kidding yourself if you believe that the fundamentals of ACCOUNTABILITY that LT is trying to build in a team, are not a critical pathway to success.

Frankley its irrelevant if the players hated LT - they probably hate weight session too, but that's not a reason to get rid of them.

I reckon most players would understand the need for weight sessions and while i expect and hope would understand accountability is also important , many of them i suspect did not understand the need for LT

For god knows what reason these clowns LT were invited to run a corporate workshop I attended a few years back. It was cringeworthy dinosaur management. Blokey bullshit. Every time since I saw their name connected with pies I almost cried. If Buckley believed in this s**t in any way whatsoever then I'm terrified

spoken with the cynicism of an old head I suspect.

If young men had the maturity and experience needed, LT would not be necessary.

I reckon most players would understand the need for weight sessions and while i expect and hope would understand accountability is also important , many of them i suspect did not understand the need for LT

They did not understand the TRUE meaning of accountability in the context of a team environment.

Sadly most of these young guys today are a very different breed and far less mature than past generations - many wouldn't be able to spell accountability, let alone know its importance on the field.

Haha and in that, he reduces the numbers of braves and ensures defeat.
Epitaph
Here lies Chief Running Wolf, dishonourably discharged and despatched ten of his thirty braves and bravely led the remaining twenty to a hasty defeat.
You'd hope he only needs to kill one to get the committment of the rest. 29 committed foot soldiers can achieve more than 30 uncommitted so IMO no defeat ensured!

What is so complex or onerous about an 'honesty system" that grown men would have a problem with?

It is far more likely that we've learnt from LT and now wish to move on because, LT have nothing more to offer - as is the case with any consultants working with clubs or businesses.

If you have a club full of players who aren't overly close, a system like Leading Teams wouldn't be great for something like that.

You'd hope he only needs to kill one to get the committment of the rest. 29 committed foot soldiers can achieve more than 30 uncommitted so IMO no defeat ensured!
Modern braves would more than likely be outraged by the killing of one therefore he'd have to knock off the outraged. Defeat imminent.

If you have a club full of players who aren't overly close, a system like Leading Teams wouldn't be great for something like that.

Other "team building" programs are run in parallel with LT - so yes it is suitable in such circumstances. In fact teams are aligned faster, following LT principles which then helps bring players closer.

Modern braves would more than likely be outraged by the killing of one therefore he'd have to knock off the outraged. Defeat imminent.
From what I can gather from this convo (reading between the lines) is we are either into & guy named Custer or are looking at a Native American for a CatB rookie spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They did not understand the TRUE meaning of accountability in the context of a team environment.

Sadly most of these young guys today are a very different breed and far less mature than past generations - many wouldn't be able to spell accountability, let alone know its importance on the field.

Yeah I'm sure teams of the 70s and 80s just loved the American corporate mumbo jumbo that us indemic in rubbish like leading teams.

Bottom line is that all clubs are dealing with the same generation of players.

A group like the current Bulldogs team is proof that accountability and putting personal desires to one side to serve the greater good are not alien concepts or something that can't be fostered in modern footballers.

I'll be looking for increased cohesion from our group early next year. Most of our players, although young, have been exposed to Buckley's systems for a few years now. Time to start producing.

What surprises me here is that both leading teams and Star were decisions made by the current board, in any other company heads would roll. The boys club just merrily rolls along.
Lets be honest, majority of players are dumb and need direction from one person, not everyone who thinks they are a leader.
Buck stops with coach who should be the boss and he should take full control until the kids show leadership on their own, not when some consultant tells them they are a leader.
A leader leads by example, a boss just barks orders

Bottom line is that all clubs are dealing with the same generation of players.

A group like the current Bulldogs team is proof that accountability and putting personal desires to one side to serve the greater good are not alien concepts or something that can't be fostered in modern footballers.

I'll be looking for increased cohesion from our group early next year. Most of our players, although young, have been exposed to Buckley's systems for a few years now. Time to start producing.

Bigfooty 101

^^^^insert name of current successful team and say why arent we like them

Not

nothing to do with it. They just came over as out of date and amateurish when stacked up against serious management consultants. The head honcho is an ex ballarat PE teacher ffs

Maybe they were out of their depth in this specific example - but they have the score on the board in the AFL.
Which if I'm reading between the lines correctly, the AFL probably has a far less sophisticated client base than the audience you were part of.

This!
Leading Teams were at 7 clubs this year, although parted ways with Richmond a few months ago and now us. Still at 5 other clubs.
Sydney- full time consultant
Melbourne- full time consultant (failed once before but works better on the Roos model)
St.Kilda-(unclear) more full time than part time.
Gold Coast- Full time. Rocket Eade brought it north which is surprising given that it was a divisive failure at the Western Bulldogs.
Hawthorn- only part time consultant. Could rule this example out.(maybe one session a year. Arms length and hardly ever been a strong influence)

This mumbo jumbo that the SWANS, GEEL and HAWKS used won them flags - just sayin!!!
But they're not sexy anymore. The key to success is to pick the most widely popular theme at the time and do whatever you can to turn yourself into a carbon copy. 2013/14 it was Port, 2015 it was Hawks. Now it's the Bulldogs. I for one hope that 2018 will signal the return of "The Rachel Haircut"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back