News Pies drop Leading Teams

Remove this Banner Ad

[QUOTE="ant22, post: 47002507, member: 20865" It's all good and well to give someone feedback but you then need to come up a solution and have follow up to make sure the solution is being followed through and working.
Have hardly ever seen it work when you come up with the solution, the person in question needs to come up with the solution and needs to take ownership.
Of course there needs to be someone else involved to support, encourage and followup.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree maggie. The person needs to own the solution but without follow up and support it is rarely followed through with.

I disagree with this statement. Ive seen alot of people who are not natural leaders who develop into very good leaders. This often happens when they are developed by other good leaders. The best way to develop your leadership skills is learning from something who has great leadership skills.

And have you ever seen a group of "Quasi-Leaders" making decisions? We've given the nice people a chance for a few years....sometimes you just need a bit more this:

images.jpg and a little less : leading-teams-course.jpg
A little more: J-Brown.jpg

and a lot less:
imgres.jpg

I'm just happy to let the real leaders lead and then the indians know who to follow.
Trying to have everyone involved in the leading is confusing to lots of people who just want to play the game.

I'm sorry but for all you people bleating about how 'equal' everyone needs to feel it's just not factual and never will be. Some people are leaders and some are followers, others are lone wolves and then there are the 'disaffected' who spend their entire lives feeling 'alienated'.

Gratification is earned and not entitled, life isn't some debating society concept but a journey towards self betterment - with the emphisis on self.

In general the human condition is one of failure and missed opportunites, which makes the mindset of self betterment and readiness to take ownership of all our qualities, good and bad the only reliable blueprint for success. Those of us willing to face our true selves and reach for improvement by honest effort without expecting 'crutches' and 'empowerment' have a much greater chance of achieving our goals than those waiting to be validated.

It is what it is, just deal with it and move forward.

Or you could perhaps wait for someone to tell you just how 'oppressed' and 'disenfranchised' you are so that you can feel justified in being mediocre. **rollseyes.gif**

Howdy Jonbe, we haven't seen you around these parts for a while.

Please, spare me. The real issue behind Leading Teams is that is makes players speak like corporate robots. Much better to deliver home truths in your native tongue in my opinion. Feels a lot more genuine and less spiteful. There's also a time/place to deliver criticism and it's not always in front of 39 of your peers.

This. I manage a team, and when I have to deliver some home truths, or tell someone off, it is never in front of the other team members. Some also perform better with praise and encouragement, rather than constant criticism. Others like more direct feedback. Horses for courses.

And have you ever seen a group of "Quasi-Leaders" making decisions? We've given the nice people a chance for a few years....sometimes you just need a bit more this:

View attachment 293886 and a little less :View attachment 293889
A little more:View attachment 293890

and a lot less:
View attachment 293891

I'm just happy to let the real leaders lead and then the indians know who to follow.
Trying to have everyone involved in the leading is confusing to lots of people who just want to play the game.
The best coaches in the league find a balance of all of those traits you mention, no more or less of either. The days of iron fisted coach are long gone. The Indians are restless and won't take what the chief says as gospel without asking questions.
Chief: here comes the cavalry. Right, first ten braves, front and centre, you'll absorb the initial onslaught.
Indian: you *in kidding, we need at least 50 to stand a chance.
Chief: we don't have 50.
Indian: well then it's suicide. We have to retreat.
Chief: No this is way we have done it for many years.
Indian: Time for a change because it's doing nothing for us right now.

completely disagree - Cam Mooney has stated that Ablett only became great after searching and pointed feedback from team mates with the LT programs.
Every player is accountable to his team mates - that's what a team is about.
You can rise to the occasion as Ablett did or you can sulk.

If you cant cope feedback then you'll never make it.

Swans, Hawks, and GEEL have all thrived under this direct feedback model.

So do we delist every player and start again or develop something that suits our playing group.

You can't create a program and say this works with 100% of teams, you either have the cattle for it or you don't.
Appears we don't..

Leading Teams isn't the only avenue for success.

completely disagree - Cam Mooney has stated that Ablett only became great after searching and pointed feedback from team mates with the LT programs.
Every player is accountable to his team mates - that's what a team is about.
You can rise to the occasion as Ablett did or you can sulk.

If you cant cope feedback then you'll never make it.

Swans, Hawks, and GEEL have all thrived under this direct feedback model.

Heath Shaw loves GIVING feedback....not so sure he loves receiving it though?
heath-shaw_ryb944ali2e21vudmpxrmrwzy.jpg

The best coaches in the league find a balance of all of those traits you mention, no more or less of either. The days of iron fisted coach are long gone. The Indians are restless and won't take what the chief says as gospel without asking questions.
Chief: here comes the cavalry. Right, first ten braves, front and centre, you'll absorb the initial onslaught.
Indian: you ****in kidding, we need at least 50 to stand a chance.

Chief: Umm...sorry Whitefeather.....find another tribe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember a video somewhere that had a brief snippet of Harry leading some kind of meditation session. It was with the whole group, but dunno if it was an experimental thing, or part of an ongoing program.

Meditation was very much Harry's bag.

He would have loved being entrusted with that responsibility.

I think spirituality could really take off at the CFC (Collingwood Football Club)

The entire group used to participate in a yoga-style "Shavasana" after a session. The idea is that it calms the mind after the heavy cardio sessions and brings the body back to stillness to help recovery.

They also used to do this before running onto the ground. The theory behind it is that an excited/frantic mind is less likely to make cool decisions, whereas a still mind is focussed and dependable. Didn't seem to do the 2011 group any harm.

Pendles/Harry were also big yoga devotees - bloody amazing for stretching and recovery and helps prevent soft-tissue injuries by constant and gentle stretching all over. Not all the boys are fans but it didn't seem to do these two any harm!

Cheers for the info and you're 100% right. The South Sydney Rabbitoh's spent 20 minutes in quiet meditation before last years Grand Final and ended up winning it.

Sorry mate it went over your head.
Hendy has been an advisor to Bucks since the early days of his coaching career.
He just got the arse.

I don't mind the intent. It seems a little esoteric for the football environment however; the language in particular is pretty hard to understand and connect with if you haven't explored spirituality.

For god knows what reason these clowns LT were invited to run a corporate workshop I attended a few years back. It was cringeworthy dinosaur management. Blokey bullshit. Every time since I saw their name connected with pies I almost cried. If Buckley believed in this s**t in any way whatsoever then I'm terrified

For god knows what reason these clowns LT were invited to run a corporate workshop I attended a few years back. It was cringeworthy dinosaur management. Blokey bullshit. Every time since I saw their name connected with pies I almost cried. If Buckley believed in this s**t in any way whatsoever then I'm terrified

Meh, its just the gimmick of the week. Things like this come in and out of fashion every other week. I'm glad its out of fashion because I dont believe in cults. Footballers are paid to play football not nursemaid their teammates

Heath Shaw loves GIVING feedback....not so sure he loves receiving it though?
View attachment 293899
I personally loved watching him in the prelim, he carried on like a full blown nutjob. It took me back to the good old days of him in black and white, with Maxy having to calm him down every 3 minute. He must not be allowed his Meds in finals.

Indian: you ****in kidding, we need at least 50 to stand a chance.

agree with bolded. Think your example (whilst having a different point) shows a poor leader. A strong, iron fisted leader wouldn't accept that questioning and would kill the questioning individual and ask:
Anyone else got a question?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back