Pies land big fish, missing flag puzzle piece fits

Remove this Banner Ad

Not so much missed the boat with Lockett - think Bob Rose (then president?) ruled out getting Lockett
Bob was not president, but the board l think over ruled Matthews and the then president McAllister. We missed the boat, he wanted to play for us.

Bob was not president, but the board l think over ruled Matthews and the then president McAllister. We missed the boat, he wanted to play for us.
Bob was on the Board and didn't want Lockett because Lockett had totally lost the plot in a game at Vic Park and Bob didn't want him at the Pies

I think it was Wayne Richardson that killed off getting Lockett
If that is the case was it because he didn't want his son Mark being replaced by Lockett?

Quite possible but whatever it was, it was a huge mistake

Probably something in that too

That was my memory of it.
Classic Collingwood inbred thinking at the time

Can I please put a stop to this bullshit rumour.

Wayne a Richardson was on the board but abstained from the vote on recruiting Lockett because of his son.

I hate this rumour. It really shits me that it's become folklore when it is not true. Wayne is a magpie through and through, a great guy to boot, and shouldn't have to put up with this crap.

Sorry for the vent.

Wayne a Richardson was on the board but abstained from the vote on recruiting Lockett because of his son.

I hate this rumour. It really shits me that it's become folklore when it is not true. Wayne is a magpie through and through, a great guy to boot, and shouldn't have to put up with this crap.

Sorry for the vent.
You are essentially correct on this.
I think from my sources, Wayne was not involved in the way suggestions have been made.

Regardless Tony Lockett not ending up a pie was a Mage mistake.
Not getting Bernie Quinlan from Footscray likewise - and it was $5 k that we baulked at paying.

But let's not think we along make such silly decisions, Geelong let Greg Williams go to Sydney basically over a few dollars. Not that Geelong could match Sydney at the time but Williams said if Geelong had given him a bit more he would have stayed. Big mistake.

The Quinlan miss was probably the worst - not sure how many GFs Lockett would have featured in for us but with Quinlan there in 79 and 81 I back us to win both those flags. The guy was a superstar.

To have beaten that evil empire in two GFs would have made my younger life (and adult mindset) so, So, SO, SOOOOO much happier.

Whoever was on the board at that time - You F ... Up :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Quinlan miss was probably the worst - not sure how many GFs Lockett would have featured in for us but with Quinlan there in 79 and 81 I back us to win both those flags. The guy was a superstar.

To have beaten that evil empire in two GFs would have made my younger life (and adult mindset) so, So, SO, SOOOOO much happier.

You could add we'd have been a fair chance to take the 02 flag with Plugger even though we did have Rocca who kicked that goal that the umpy viewed as a poster. I still remember it vividly, could swear on my own grave that was a goal!:'(

I was more up the Punt Rd end for Rocca's 'goal', couldn't really tell from where I was sitting but I am def going with that it was a goal

Yeh Plugger would of been handy around that time, think he finished in about 02 as well, would of been a great end to Pluggers career, a flag

Quinlan would of been great in those years, 79, 81, may have saved me, and a lot of us, a lot of childhood angst as well

Sorry for the vent.
Don't know about it being a rumour, it was in a Book that I read (not sure if it was Taylor's book or another one)
I'll try and track it down

I don't recall us going for Bernie Quinlan.
I do recall us going to get Sam Kekovich, Laurie Sandilands (who was a very good player at the dogs) Butch Edwards (the next gun CHF at the time) Warwick Irwin Geoff Raines and Graham Teasdale and a few others. All were busts after being superstars at their previous club.
Doesnt always work out

You could add we'd have been a fair chance to take the 02 flag with Plugger even though we did have Rocca who kicked that goal that the umpy viewed as a poster. I still remember it vividly, could swear on my own grave that was a goal!:'(
With all due respect to Rocca, a fit Lockett and we're all but certain winning that final v St Kilda.

Really we're in it up to our necks I'd suggest.

I do recall us going to get Sam Kekovich, Laurie Sandilands (who was a very good player at the dogs) Butch Edwards (the next gun CHF at the time) Warwick Irwin Geoff Raines and Graham Teasdale and a few others. All were busts after being superstars at their previous club.
Doesnt always work out
The Bernie Quinlan saga is bang on.

Over $5,000 we missed him. He was coming and we baulked (were stingy) over $5 k (granted 5 large is more in those days say it's like $50,000 these days).

I recall Raines played well for us, sublime mover too.

But Quinlan was I still think our worst blunder.

Doesnt always work out
ps Quinlan in 1979 and 1981 may have been all the difference. Super player.

He would have arrived 1978 but for the $5,000.
And we may have even won the prelim v North in 1978 with Quinlan.

So well spoken

ps Quinlan in 1979 and 1981 may have been all the difference. Super player.

He would have arrived 1978 but for the $5,000.
And we may have even won the prelim v North in 1978 with Quinlan.
you might be right. I am never of the opinion that one player makes that much of a difference. He was a superstar though.. BUT pre leaving the Dogs he was very very inconsistent.

you might be right. I am never of the opinion that one player makes that much of a difference. He was a superstar though.. BUT pre leaving the Dogs he was very very inconsistent.
There is a fair argument he was better with Fitzroy, yes agree.
Did play further upfield earlier on memory, then settled full forward later days. But I could be wrong.
That's my kids memory on Quinlan.

Collingwood I remember far better as going and following avidly our side, the memory is burned into the memory.

Don't know about it being a rumour, it was in a Book that I read (not sure if it was Taylor's book or another one)
I'll try and track it down
It was Big Al's book...
Al.jpg Quote.jpg

"The hen is the wisest of all the animal creation, because she never cackles until the egg is laid."

Abraham Lincoln.

So very true.

2018 will be the year of the media ruining our chances of getting Lynch... Coupled with a few extra million dollars the AFL will give Lynch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back