Big Name Players Who Came to The Pies Late in Their Careers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Now as I was too young so i've got no idea just looking at stats... 1992 Brad Hardie coming from Brisbane, was this a big recruit at the time? Leading goalkicker, Brownlow medal.

Also notice it was the first year without Millane, I'd imagine you couldn't replace a player like what Millane was but was there high hope for us back then bringing in this guy?
From memory he dominated vfl but they only played him twice

Not sure what the point of getting him was

From memory he dominated vfl but they only played him twice

Not sure what the point of getting him was
The point of getting him and other old flogs was we were absolutely useless at identifying young stars.
Carlton did it, Kernahan, Hunter, Bradley, Bosustow, Fitzpatrick and many more.

We were run by a bunch of chumps for 30 years.

Hence the movie "The Club"

While he wasn't a genuine star, Clinton Young was another who had a fine career and was a premiership player elsewhere, but didn't do well for us.

The People's Beard Ben Hudson

Now as I was too young so i've got no idea just looking at stats... 1992 Brad Hardie coming from Brisbane, was this a big recruit at the time? Leading goalkicker, Brownlow medal.

Also notice it was the first year without Millane, I'd imagine you couldn't replace a player like what Millane was but was there high hope for us back then bringing in this guy?

Yes, I was in Queensland and only got to a couple of Pies games in 1992, what was the Brad Hardie thing all about?
Why was he playing in the reserves?

Yes, I was in Queensland and only got to a couple of Pies games in 1992, what was the Brad Hardie thing all about?
Why was he playing in the reserves?
He was at the same club as Peter Daicos, who was still good but by then couldn't run. You couldn't possibly have had two forward pockets who couldn't run.

He was at the same club as Peter Daicos, who was still good but by then couldn't run. You couldn't possibly have had two forward pockets who couldn't run.

They couldn't slot him in a back pocket, which he played at for Footscray in his heyday?
He wasn't too quick then either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barry Mitchell, Luke Ball, Brad Hardy, Tom Mitchell, Lynden Dunn, Q Ball (Lynch), Brereton. Those are a few I can think of. Maybe Tom Mitchell the youngest of the lot at the time of recruiting them. How old was David Cloke too?

Last edited:
sorry. I thought it was big name players who came to Collingwood. He was a great player for us. Is this a list of the busts? My mistake.
I might’ve just made the same mistake. Thought question/task was to name players that came to Collingwood late in their careers.

Chad Rintoul

from my Delorean

Bruce Abernathy and Gary Shaw. Both came with huge reputations, Shaw did sweet fa, Abbers was better but still talked up way too much. The New Magpies absolutely ruined us for a number of years. What would you expect with Ronald McDonald running it, what a clown show. (Sorry that should be Ranold not Ronald) no difference it was still a s**t era. David Cloke was good as we got 3 fs from him one being a premiership player. I actually really liked David as a player, came as a forward and was forced to play a smaller ruck role. His body work was brilliant and gave us cover while Monkey hadn’t yet dominated and Wes fellows was well being an early version of Guy Richards. How bad were we that Wes actually won a Copeland trophy 🤦‍♂️

Remove this Banner Ad

Back