Big Name Players Who Came to The Pies Late in Their Careers.

Remove this Banner Ad

not a big name but late in career trade. Jarrod Molloy. That trade for Mal Michael probably cost us the 2002 flag

Jarrod Molloy was 2nd in the Copeland in 2001.

If his ankles held up we probably win 02.

Don't forget he was only 28 when he retired.

EDIT 27 when he retired

Adrian McAdam probably would have to qualify! While he wasn't that old, it certainly was "late" in his career when he joined us, and it did not end well!

Did we draft him, but he never turned up, just stayed in Darwin?
He was traded to Collingwood, and he did go there, but he wasn't happy and walked out (before the season started): NMFC Archives: Adrian McAdam
1681048434249.png
It is debatable as to whether or not his name belongs in this thread, but he had a lot of talent, and the move to recruit him did not work out well for him/us!

Darren Jolly, Luke Ball and Leigh Brown.
Tarrant’s return the year after with Andrew Krakouer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darren Jolly, Luke Ball and Leigh Brown.
Tarrant’s return the year after with Andrew Krakouer.

Read the OP.

Jeremy Howe

giphy.gif

They were all recruits who finished their careers with us…… but were they “big” names?

Ben Hudson
Pat Karnezis
Tony Armstrong
Henry Schade
Tony Elshaugh
Glenn McLean
Shannon Gibson
John Barnett
Jon Hummel
Brad Cassidy
Jim McAllister
Chad Morrison

Laurie Sandilands
Warwick Irwin
Gary Pert
Richard Osborne
Ross Brewer
Rick Olerenshaw
Michael Woolnough
Allen Butch Edwards
Russell Olsen
David Young
Paul Hawke
Tony Elshaugh
Murray Wrensted
Bradley Plain
Chad Rintoul
Carl Steinfort
Scott Cummings
Blake Cracella

We were a fair old pension fund for decades

I did. All big names with the exception of Leigh Brown. Just added him in for good measure since he was a high draft pick. Krakouer is a big name, especially with Phil in front of it.
The bold bit (this is from the OP) is a key bit some seem to have missed!: Just pondering the champion/big name players who have came to Collingwood late in their careers and had very little impact.

They were all recruits who finished their careers with us…… but were they “big” names?

Ben Hudson
Pat Karnezis
Tony Armstrong
Henry Schade
Tony Elshaugh
Glenn McLean
Shannon Gibson
John Barnett
Jon Hummel
Brad Cassidy
Jim McAllister
Chad Morrison

Hudson would normally count as a big name, but not really under the circumstances he came as he had already 'retired' twice.

Now as I was too young so i've got no idea just looking at stats... 1992 Brad Hardie coming from Brisbane, was this a big recruit at the time? Leading goalkicker, Brownlow medal.

Also notice it was the first year without Millane, I'd imagine you couldn't replace a player like what Millane was but was there high hope for us back then bringing in this guy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back