Strategy Plan to help commentators get the correct names when calling live play

Remove this Banner Ad

Commentators and humans alike can get names wrong. Sometimes, the slip is just a simple Steven "Daniel" Motlop misappropriation - a forgivable mistake if it's an infrequent occurrence. Other times, it can be calling a player by an unrelated but similar looking player's name. Often though, it's BT. He is not bound by mortal, petty hurdles such as "names" and "knowing what's happening" like the rest of us. He can blunder and gurgle his way through to a paycheck without such drawbacks.

There exists an adequate level of mental capacity in the average AFL fan (and, surprisingly, even some NRL fans) to identify players by their numbers. Unfortunately for Brian, he can read the numbers but not remember who they represent.

Now, the AFL has previously tried to combat this heinous issue with the addition of surnames to the back of jumpers. This was trialled at some point last decade (honestly not sure when, time kind of blurs and melts together after some point). Bristle's eyesight is usually pretty good (admittedly his depth perception lacks both depth and perception) but his eyesight is not good enough to read the names.

So, to minimise the obvious confusion for both commentators and spectators, I think it would be best to add a player's initials as a prefix to a player's number. This would make the letters the same size as the number, which all commentators and spectators should be able to read.

Xavier Duursma, wearing the #7 made famous by the Eberts, would now wear XD7 on the back of his jumper. Tex would be TW13.

I think this would be a marketable idea and even save myself such embarrassments as when my little cousin was wearing a #6 Port Guernsey and I couldn't for the life of me remember who wore #6 so I was like "hey man who's your favourite player?" and he just points to his back with his thumbs over his shoulder and I'm "haha Angus Monfries right?"

No. It was Daniel Motlop. It always was. And if my cousin had a DM6 Port Guernsey I wouldn't have been in this mess.

Commentators and humans alike can get names wrong. Sometimes, the slip is just a simple Steven "Daniel" Motlop misappropriation - a forgivable mistake if it's an infrequent occurrence. Other times, it can be calling a player by an unrelated but similar looking player's name. Often though, it's BT. He is not bound by mortal, petty hurdles such as "names" and "knowing what's happening".

There exists an adequate level of mental capacity in the average AFL fan (and, surprisingly, even some NRL fans) to identify players by their number. Unfortunately for Brian, he can read numbers but not remember who they represent.

Now, the AFL has previously tried to combat this heinous issue with the addition of surnames to the back of jumpers. This was trialled at some point this decade (honestly not sure when, time kind of blurs and melts together after some point). Bristle's eyesight is usually pretty good (admittedly his depth perception lacks both depth and perception) but his eyesight is not good enough to read the names.

So, to minimise the obvious confusion for both commentators and spectators, I think it would be best to add a player's initials as a prefix to a player's number. This would make the letters the same size as the number, which all commentators and spectators should be able to read.

Xavier Duursma, wearing the #7 made famous by the Eberts, would now wear XD7 on the back of his jumper. Tex would be TW13.

I think this would be a marketable idea and even save myself such embarrassments as when my little cousin was wearing a #6 Port Guernsey and I couldn't for the life of me remember who wore #6 so I was like "hey man who's your favourite player?" and he just points to his back with his thumbs over his shoulder and I'm "haha Angus Monfries right?"

No. It was Daniel Motlop. It always was. And if my cousin had a DM6 Port Guernsey I wouldn't have been in this mess.
This wont help WD28 at Port Adelaide because BT calls him William instead of his correct pronunciation as Willem. This is sloppy commentating / research at its best. BT9 is useless

This would make the letters the same size as the number,
Whaaat, in order for that to fit the players would have to swell up like Violet Beauregarde!

sw451.jpg

Unless you mean make the numbers just as small as the letters, which is also impractical (but not as humorous):

SW452.jpg

Melb V Geelong on weekend. Last term and Melbourne up by 12. Melbourne have a shot for goal and BT screams , Fritsch kicking for goal to make it a 6 pt ball game. melb has been in front all game. The guy is simply disrespectful to the sport. Why do we have shouting morons? I don't get it.

Jesus some people are *******s. Who gives a flying * if they get a name wrong? Like it's that simple to keep up with the play without ever making mistakes. It happens in literally every sport just weird *holes like you guys now think your opinions are important.

Jesus some people are *******s. Who gives a flying fu** if they get a name wrong? Like it's that simple to keep up with the play without ever making mistakes. It happens in literally every sport just weird fu**holes like you guys now think your opinions are important.
Since when has factual reporting and journalistic integrity been defined as "opinions"?

Does it really matter if a name is occasionally wrong?

During the call of the West Coast St Kilda game, I saw Jack Darling take a pack mark. The commentators called it as Jack Darling. Turns out it was Josh Kennedy. Sometimes it's hard to tell.

It might be good for the Legends game when the backs of the jumpers are much wider :)

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great idea.

Only problem I see is that these days there are all these silly hyphenated names like Uniackle-Davies or whatever it is, and if this prick is arrogant enough to also have a number on his jumper higher than nine... oh boy, are we in trouble!

5 characters is just too long fit across the back of a jumper. Ideally, all potential AFL players with multiple capital letters in their surname would be required to change their name via deed poll to something a bit more civilised, ie: something with one capital letter (no hyphens or other unnecessary characters/emojis thanks), which IMO might help get this suggestion over the line.

Also it might not help if you have multiple people in the team with the same initials, which I'm sure is the case for most teams. Dees had a bunch of JT's for a while there.

Alternatively, maybe we could skip the names and numbers altogether, and the players can select an avatar like the ones we use here on bigfooty? I think it's easier to remember an avatar than a name.

BT needs to stop making his own unique pronunciation of players' names up.

Does it really matter if a name is occasionally wrong?

During the call of the West Coast St Kilda game, I saw Jack Darling take a pack mark. The commentators called it as Jack Darling. Turns out it was Josh Kennedy. Sometimes it's hard to tell.

It matters to the extent that not being able to identify a player points to the half arsed way in which a number of these “experts” do their job. They aren’t adding to the telecast.

While they’re calling games from a studio in Melbourne won’t matter whose name is on the back of the shirt they still can’t tell who is who by calling it from a tv screen

Commentators should be fined or suspended if they call a goal that isn't a goal.
Every game, I hear 4 or 5 times, commentators say ' and it's a goal! No it just missed, it faded left and was a behind. '
I'll give you commentators a tip, wait until the ball has actually gone through the goals or wait for the umpire to wave his flags.

Didn't they have Star Wars day a few years back?

"21B handballs to FX7 whose pass drops short of 8D8, the pack appears and we have a ball-up 30 metres out from the Punt Rd End which the Tigers are kicking to."

ed563bc3-01d5-4ce9-9c72-0e99540aab53.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back