player managers

Remove this Banner Ad

dover56

Debutant
Oct 6, 2003
hong kong
Other Teams
essendon
player managers are supposed to give their clients the best advice about there futures. how can this be so when the manager is on around 10% of the contract? for example solomon offered 800k over 3 years at the dons, manager gets 80k. offered 1.6million over 4, manager gets 160k. who do you think the manager is going to advise their client to go to?? blood sucking vampires

I have always believed that player managers are a waste of time.They do bugger all and get paid absurd amounts eating into players salaries.
I would have thought players would be more professional enough to manage themselves these days.

Originally posted by dover56
player managers are supposed to give their clients the best advice about there futures. how can this be so when the manager is on around 10% of the contract? for example solomon offered 800k over 3 years at the dons, manager gets 80k. offered 1.6million over 4, manager gets 160k. who do you think the manager is going to advise their client to go to?? blood sucking vampires

10% bull****....

lucky if its 5% and some have set fees for tasks performed.

To some extent. But the manager does a bloody lot of work for them. For example, Solomon's manager has basically set him up with advice regarding his investment in his bar at the Docks with a few of the Tiger boys. David Neitz's manager, along with the MFC, did a bloody good job to not let the real truth come out about what happened at Crown that night - I can tel you it was a lot lot more than what was reported.

even if its 5%, still gets more cash if his player does. Absolutely no loyalty involved for the manager, only the bottom line of his bank account. if they had the open system of american sports where everyones salary was public, players would not need managers to tell them what theyre worth, they would know themselves..
am interested though, what did neitz really do??

Originally posted by bozza
To some extent. But the manager does a bloody lot of work for them. For example, Solomon's manager has basically set him up with advice regarding his investment in his bar at the Docks with a few of the Tiger boys. David Neitz's manager, along with the MFC, did a bloody good job to not let the real truth come out about what happened at Crown that night - I can tel you it was a lot lot more than what was reported.

Two words... Brendan Fevola!

Can you imagine this nuff nuff trying to negotiate his own contract?

The reason players have managers negotiate for them is so the negotiations don't get personal.

If the player was negotiating for himself and the club said to him "you're not worth that much. That's more than XXX is getting!"

"But I'm better than him!"

Then it gets personal and the player storms out with the ****s with his feelings hurt.

Originally posted by scooter600x
The reason players have managers negotiate for them is so the negotiations don't get personal.

If the player was negotiating for himself and the club said to him "you're not worth that much. That's more than XXX is getting!"

"But I'm better than him!"

Then it gets personal and the player storms out with the ****s with his feelings hurt.

and you dont think that the manager tells the player anyway??

Originally posted by dover56

Where did you get 10%? I'd be certain it is not that high. Would be interesting to know what agents charge what commission though.

The other point is how else do you expect the player/agent thing to work? should the club pay the agent direct? that would ensure the player got the best deal wouldn't it?

Even though the system is obviously got a heavy slant on money (and which like system doesn't) there is no conflict of interest there as far as I can see.

10% is a fairly standard fee for a manager, be it sports, actors whatever. maybe some are lower, im not really sure. the % figure isnt really that important, the fact that they are paid in line with the amount the player gets suggests that managers would be primarily after the fiscal needs of the player. do these managers have influence on players to leave clubs they might otherwise stay at for loyalty reasons?? i think so. they are probably a neccessary evil, but if all wages were published, a manager couldnt tell a club that player x has been offered 400k from a rival, just to up the players value (ie darren gaspar case). the player would know approx what they should earn in comparison with similar players, and clubs would be unwilling to pay a player over the market price

Re: Re: player managers

Originally posted by llosis
Where did you get 10%? I'd be certain it is not that high. Would be interesting to know what agents charge what commission though.

I am close with one, standard is 10-15%, but in some cases even 20% depending on how much work they actually do for them. Those cases the manager is doing an absolute ****load of work for them

Remove this Banner Ad

Back