Recommitted Dylan Shiel [OOC 2024; reports he may move? Dodoro says he is a 'required player']

Remove this Banner Ad

So Shiel has no issues at the Dons, next year is the last year of his very healthy 6 yr contract, Dons have no pressing salary cap issues so he knows he'll get paid and yet, Shiels management decides now is the time to shop him around.

If I was a betting man I'd be backing that something was said during the exit interviews.

Shiel is being played out of the midfield to accommodate the younger midfielders we have because that's where the EFC list is at.

It's really not a mystery why he'd be looking elsewhere to find midfield time and a list profile that is much more likely to see him playing in, and winning, finals.

Shiel is being played out of the midfield to accommodate the younger midfielders we have because that's where the EFC list is at.

It's really not a mystery why he'd be looking elsewhere to find midfield time and a list profile that is much more likely to see him playing in, and winning, finals.
I could see it also being club driven

He’s now fringe and still on decent coin for another year

So what there ever a sign that St Kilda had interest in Shiel?

Well it was reported several times that there was, so unless the media made it up, there was.

Despite many people basically calling him a dud, Shiel was very good early this season before he got injured, incl being one of our best against the Saints, which was probably noticed.

Of course his season then largely ended when he got injured.

After the trade reports started he hurt his knee playing with his daughter and next minute he’s a required player, not up for trade.

I’d say the Saints probably had some interest, may have been prepared to do a medical. Essendon would’ve taken a draft pick in return. It was also reported Shiel was open to it.

Reading between the lines, hurting his knee again in the off season killed any chance there was of anything happening.

This still has me intrigued.

If we took on his salary (or most of it) would an F3 (I think we have Carltons now) get it done? Or would Bombers fans expect more than that.

If we took on his salary (or most of it) would an F3 (I think we have Carltons now) get it done? Or would Bombers fans expect more than that.
If you take his salary then the bombers should be gift wrapping him and driving him to Moorabbin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're probably looking to pay most of his salary for the next year or two (conflicting reports on how much longer he has) so we can get a better pick.

Odd. I always thought Essendon would have been happy to let him go and it would have been more him wanting to stay. Doesnt seem to be the type of player you'd fight to keep. 31, on 800k, no point of difference with Essendon's other mids, borderline best 22.
I do find it odd that we are fighting to keep him.

I'd say he's more valuable to the Bombers on their list (even if he isn't first choice midfielder) rather than junk pick from St Kilda. The 'we will hold him to his contract' stance would change pretty quickly if Saints came with a good offer, but I can't see that happening

Salary is neither here nor there - we’re struggling to pay the minimum. Even with McKay and Gresham we have heaps of space.

Personally I’d probably want a second rounder, otherwise just keep him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back