Recommitted Dylan Shiel [OOC 2024; reports he may move? Dodoro says he is a 'required player']

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's a few more for your reference pebblesofsand
Thanks for that. I've seen most of that stuff but appreciate you posting it.

Never ceases to amaze me - information is so readily available these days but people choose not to even bother to look for it.

Wouldn't it be great if peoples first thought was "If you don't know, go and find out!!!"

Why is the assumption, primarily from Essendon supporters, that St Kilda wants Shiel with Essendon picking up his salary, rather than St Kilda taking Shiel’s salary on in order to facilitate a pick buy/upgrade? Where has it been stated the St Kilda is under salary cap pressure or is cleaning space for a free agent?
  1. Essendon has a huge amount of salary cap space available to chase free agents
  2. Essendon could afford Clayton Oliver's salary even after acquiring the targeted players and without dumping Shiel
  3. St Kilda could help Essendon free up salary cap in order to land McKay
confused error GIF by Squirrel Monkey

Why do St Kilda want Shiels??
Can someone answer that??
We have Brad Crouch, a better, less injury prone player so I don't understand why we want Shiels.

Why do St Kilda want Shiels??
Can someone answer that??
We have Brad Crouch, a better, less injury prone player so I don't understand why we want Shiels.

Better and less injury prone are both debatable but beyond that they are completely different players. St Kilda’s midfield is very one paced and could do with a bit of speed and burst from stoppages.

The Saints supporters can't seem to grasp this part of the deal

They seem to think that they just own 12 and 13, when truthfully its going to be more complicated than that IF the bombers are paying a s**t tonne to a player who doesn't deserve it.

There won't be one for you guys if we don't get it!! I don't understand how you don't understand that.
The herald sun made the point tonight that the new CBA deals kick in from next season. However free agency only takes into consideration contracts from round 1 2023 when applying the band widths.

So what you think is over paying, is going to end up an average or slightly above average contract in 2024 and beyond.

So a 750-800k deal for Gresham is entirely plausible - which would be a band 1-2 compo.

Essendon theoretically could over pay to make the difference from band 2 to band 1 and we take Shiel off them for doing that and improve the pick you would have got for him.

The compo would remain with St Kilda.

What does change is the pick that goes back for Shiel (if he's traded). Higher free agency contract = higher compensation band = (hypothetically) higher pick going back.

Well personally I have always thought that the higher the FA Compo, that the higher the pick that Shiel may generate. That is as long as Essendon pays overs to help create extra value. If not overs then Essendon just gets market value for Shiel if the Shiel trade goes ahead.

Agreed. The compo (whether it's band 1, 2 or 3) stays with St Kilda regardless.

What does change is the pick that goes back for Shiel (if he's traded). Higher free agency contract = higher compensation band = (hypothetically) higher pick going back.
The Hsun view late yesterday:

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...l/news-story/6229f02cb8b65f3c1d5b2bf131c6049a

Saints will do well with Gresh pick due to market conditions. Used James Jordan & Flynn as examples.

Also that we are looking likely to use Coffield pick to get Henry and a late pick to get Dow.

They are also saying it will be a late pick for Shiel if we do it and by the end the Saints should have 3 picks inside 32

dont think they ever came out and said they want dylan shiel, is all been pushed by essendon supporters. they now getting paddy dow to hand in a trade request, so surely thats a no to shiel
Yes Shiel to St Kilda has been purely Essendon fans.

Media haven't mentioned it once.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

pretty sure no one surprise how this turned out, the whole thing was driven by a group of supporters that somehow convinced themselves they getting grisham through FA, getting rid of Shiel and getting a first round pick.
The way a (every) support base can convince themselves that another club will pay a first rounder for a midfielder they don't want is quite amazing.

Shiel confirmed to be staying at Essendon
best news all day,now that the threat of that ridiculous get pick 13 and hand it over BS has gone,i can stop weighing up between roos dogs dockers and eagles as to which one replaces st.kilda in this spot-AFL Club St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back