Recommitted Dylan Shiel [OOC 2024; reports he may move? Dodoro says he is a 'required player']

Remove this Banner Ad

TheWeapon

Club Legend
May 20, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Has had an injury interrupted year, getting limited opportunities in his preferred midfield role
Bombers have space in salary cap to potentially pay off part of his final contracted year
What would he be worth trading for to teams lacking midfield depth?

Has had an injury interrupted year, getting limited opportunities in his preferred midfield role
Bombers have space in salary cap to potentially pay off part of his final contracted year
What would he be worth trading for to teams lacking midfield depth?
He’d fit in beautifully down the old cats home

haha would almost do that
Look, all joking aside (and yes I would do the Murphy swap dead serious)...but after yesterday, it rammed home just how important quality mids are. I have no doubt Shiel if he could get to a good level of fitness would really improve our onball area. Look at Port - they sold the farm to set up that midfield and its carried them to 13 wins as lets face it their front and back halves are full of journeymen. Look at your side - your 3 primary mids got a heap of ball and used it really well against us. So what we might have a better forward line and possibly even backline if we get pantsed in the middle like happened yesterday. An A grade midfield is THE most important area of the ground as you win there and the rest generally takes care of itself

Was flying earlier this year before he got injured but doesn’t have much versatility at all and will be 31 before the start of next year. The $800k plus doesn’t help either. Won’t be sniffing the centre square anytime soon for the Dons.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was flying earlier this year before he got injured but doesn’t have much versatility at all and will be 31 before the start of next year. The $800k plus doesn’t help either. Won’t be sniffing the centre square anytime soon for the Dons.
Yep we have Hobbs,Caldwell now then you add Parish and Merret also have Setterfield. There isn't any room for Shiel unfortunately

Is still a very good footballer that doesn’t really make sense for Essendon to move unless another club offers overs at the trade table which seems incredibly unlikely

He has 1 year left after this year and we have no issues with cap space.
Also one of the most professional players on our list so if anyone at Essendon is going to sail past 31 it is him.

We are under no pressure to trade him for cap space and I doubt a club is handing over a prize Pick to get him, so I can't see why we would get rid of him for the sake of it. At worst he is high quality depth for one more year.

He has 1 year left after this year and we have no issues with cap space.
Also one of the most professional players on our list so if anyone at Essendon is going to sail past 31 it is him.

We are under no pressure to trade him for cap space and I doubt a club is handing over a prize Pick to get him, so I can't see why we would get rid of him for the sake of it. At worst he is high quality depth for one more year.

If the Bombers were active in a trade week a Dylan Shiel with a fair chunk of salary paid would be very good steak knives.

If the Bombers were active in a trade week a Dylan Shiel with a fair chunk of salary paid would be very good steak knives.

Yes but why would we do that?

For steak knives? And paying some of his salary? When we’re not under salary cap pressure ourselves.

Hard to see any alternative other than Shiel playing out 2024 for us.

Yes but why would we do that?

For steak knives? And paying some of his salary? When we’re not under salary cap pressure ourselves.

Hard to see any alternative other than Shiel playing out 2024 for us.

Well assuming you were in the market for a player and wanted to heavily sweeten the deal. Bombers don't need him + you have cap space to spare.

Not much really.
If he isn’t getting opportunities, is injury prone, and has a year to run on his contract which would of been sizeable. Can’t see much more than a second rounder.

Who would even offer that? His entire career has been above average but not great and the last 4 years he has missed a lot of football.

I doubt even Geelong would have a sniff.

We likely only take two live picks in this draft. (And do some upgrades) so late picks are no good unless we plan to package them to move up.

I would trade him to Melbourne and pay his way. Try and pry their late first out of them for our second as well as we likely only use the two live picks this season.

Fully paid Shiel and 30 for 15.

Doubt that happens though so happy to keep him for another season as depth.

He isnt getting traded. I dont get fellow Essendon supporters sometimes.

He seems happy at the club, we have the cap space to keep him. Not to mention he is valued for his professionalism and the example he leads on the track with Merrett with such a young list.
He was playing pretty regularly before his injury, and will be back playing full games as early as this week.

At worst he is quality depth next year that helps us hit the cap floor.
But considering how well he looks after himself he is likely to be an effective (though not elite) player for a few more years.

He isnt getting traded. I dont get fellow Essendon supporters sometimes.

He seems happy at the club, we have the cap space to keep him. Not to mention he is valued for his professionalism and the example he leads on the track with Merrett with such a young list.
He was playing pretty regularly before his injury, and will be back playing full games as early as this week.

At worst he is quality depth next year that helps us hit the cap floor.
But considering how well he looks after himself he is likely to be an effective (though not elite) player for a few more years.
I think the point is

If someone knocked on the door and said heres pick 23 would you take it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back